Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I'm heading out of the country on the 14th for 2 weeks, so 4-6 weeks would be ideal.

Well, got a big surprise today. I ordered a Red, AWD LR with Aeros on 10-1. Figured I'd be waiting a long time. I just got a text today (10-4) to finish my online profile and take a Delivery date. Online - I also now have a VIN.

Now, the delivery is going to be in San Francisco on 10/9 - which is about 30+ miles from the Fremont factory, which will be 8 days after ordering. Perhaps this was easy for them. Perhaps they have been working on Red AWD LR's all along? Who knows....

The only problem is that the trade I have entered is not being accepted as complete on the web site - technically, not the car. The web site asks me for photos and when I try to upload them, it seems to take them, but will not reflect the dollar amount in final payment (i.e. - subtract the trade $$). So "payment amount" does not show as completed either.

I called Tesla and got a hold of the local store. They said my pictures show up, but that Tesla trade people have to "confirm" the trade amount that I was given earlier. I'll wait to see how that pans out.

Right now I have a delivery scheduled for Wednesday at 2:00pm. What I am unsure of is if I have to decline the car because of defects (hear of a lot of that around here), then the trade is kind of sitting in limbo again. I guess I am going to be relying on 110V and Whole Foods EVGo chargers for a while. No superchargers close by.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
Pearl White Exterior / Black Interior / Aero Wheels — Ordered on 10/3

I just sold my previous car private party for 4k more than Tesla offered. The wife and I are now sharing one vehicle so I am definitely hoping for a speedy delivery. I tried hard to find an inventory model that fit my preferences, but finally I was advised that doing a custom order would result in the fastest deliver given my location. Fortunately, my work schedule is flexible and we can make it work with one vehicle for a short period, but buying a Tesla is hard compared to other manufactures. If someone was on the fence to purchase another vehicle vs. a Tesla, the sheer difficulty of buying a Tesla would pretty much make the decision for them. If Tesla wants to truly become a mass market auto manufacturer they are going to have to cater towards the more casual buyers. There are only so many of us early adopters that are committed to go through this process when the alternative is so much more convenient.

Pearl White Exterior / Black Interior / Aero Wheels — Ordered on 10/3

I just sold my previous car private party for 4k more than Tesla offered. The wife and I are now sharing one vehicle so I am definitely hoping for a speedy delivery. I tried hard to find an inventory model that fit my preferences, but finally I was advised that doing a custom order would result in the fastest deliver given my location. Fortunately, my work schedule is flexible and we can make it work with one vehicle for a short period, but buying a Tesla is hard compared to other manufactures. If someone was on the fence to purchase another vehicle vs. a Tesla, the sheer difficulty of buying a Tesla would pretty much make the decision for them. If Tesla wants to truly become a mass market auto manufacturer they are going to have to cater towards the more casual buyers. There are only so many of us early adopters that are committed to go through this process when the alternative is so much more convenient.

Yes, Tesla can't handle much out of the ordinary. I am dealing with a lot of family problems (illness, etc.) and I simply may not be able to pick up my Model 3 scheduled for Wednesday. I asked if I could delay things a week and the woman who answered the phone told me flat out that I would have to "re-order" if I couldn't pick up on Tuesday or Wednesday. They would not hold onto the car for a week somewhere. If I am not able to pick up Wednesday - that doesn't inspire much loyalty with me.

Sorry to hear you are having family issues. That is always tough.

Tesla certainly seems less than accommodating and I find their “take it or leave it” attitude regarding the buying process arrogant. I totally get what you mean about the brand loyalty. I am a bit concerned with this type of attitude living in a state without a service center...

I got an email from Tesla today...Being that my vehicle is being delivered by a 3rd party carrier direct they will apparently deliver the vehicle even if nobody is home! Also, for carrier direct deliveries, Tesla cannot provide any time or date of arrival. So I guess it’s just gonna show up in my driveway in a 7-10 day window?!

Yes, Tesla can't handle much out of the ordinary. I am dealing with a lot of family problems (illness, etc.) and I simply may not be able to pick up my Model 3 scheduled for Wednesday. I asked if I could delay things a week and the woman who answered the phone told me flat out that I would have to "re-order" if I couldn't pick up on Tuesday or Wednesday. They would not hold onto the car for a week somewhere. If I am not able to pick up Wednesday - that doesn't inspire much loyalty with me.

Sorry to hear you are having family issues. That is always tough.

Tesla certainly seems less than accommodating and I find their “take it or leave it” attitude regarding the buying process arrogant. I totally get what you mean about the brand loyalty. I am a bit concerned with this type of attitude living in a state without a service center...

I got an email from Tesla today...Being that my vehicle is being delivered by a 3rd party carrier direct they will apparently deliver the vehicle even if nobody is home! Also, for carrier direct deliveries, Tesla cannot provide any time or date of arrival. So I guess it’s just gonna show up in my driveway in a 7-10 day window?!

Thanks. Yeah - serious enough that I may have to miss my Model 3.

THe "take it or leave it" attitude really leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Beyond a point, no product is worth being treated like crap to get - especially at $50K+! I'm a bit "older" so I have to put it all in perspective.

Yes, you have guts letting Tesla just deliver to you "anytime." I wish you the best of luck. It will be worth it, but perhaps a bit annoying.

Received text today to schedule pickup. 10/22 or 10/23. Unfortunately we’re out of the country until the 25th. Tesla rep is trying to push it to the 26th. If he can’t, he said it’ll only be a few days after.

Update! Received VIN today (10.9) Tesla rep said the car is on the rail right now, expected to be in Baltimore on October 19th. Picking it up 10am on October 26th! Ordered on 10.2... 24 days from order to delivery.

Australian orders... Hi all just been googling and found your discussions interesting to see similar issues in USA as in Australia. Orders opened here in May 19 I think for M3. Deliveries just begun in big rush early Sept for end of quarter results now seems to have gone quiet. People here waiting 3 months + (ship takes 6 weeks) so plenty people without VINs after months. Lack of communication from Tesla and almost impossible to call them. Some cars delivered in perfect condition others delivered with significant paint/glass/alignment issues. Seems to be plenty of SR+ deliveries but no LR AWD yet and few Perfotmance variants. We love Tesla but frustrating.

Checked inventory this morning. Loads of LR AWD. Found one that matched my spec (on order since May 1). Called Tesla and had them match it to me. Now I have SC (provisional) VIN and final invoice. Delivery date estimated Nov 6. Wait time = 6 months!

Checked inventory this morning. Loads of LR AWD. Found one that matched my spec (on order since May 1). Called Tesla and had them match it to me. Now I have SC (provisional) VIN and final invoice. Delivery date estimated Nov 6. Wait time = 6 months!
Where are you located? Was there a transport fee charged?

I was advised to place a new order despite there being inventory models less than 700 miles away. I could have ordered the inventory model, but supposedly delivery would have taken longer and I would have been charged a $1000 fee on top of the standard $1125 destination fee.

Ordered: 9/27
VIN : 9/30
Currently waiting MVPA

Tentative Delivery (pick-up) 10/5

We shall see...
Rescheduled for 10/12th due to trade-in title mix up. Considering the complexity of getting a Tesla in TX, it wasn't that bad.
Then got a call from delivery today, asking me if I can go pick it up.
So yes, I picked it up with my wife and did the checklist walk-through. In and out in 30 min.
Next time I know what to do better.
Best of luck to those who are still in the wait. It'll be worth it once you get it!

Delivery: 10/10/19

Reactions: Someguy4747
I ordered on 10/7 white aero wheels. So far I’m being told should recieve car at end of the month. I’m in Texas

I just "re-ordered" today. I'm in the SF Bay area. I was told that it would likely be at least 6 weeks, as orders were being pushed for overseas delivery. I figure - maybe 6 weeks, maybe 3 weeks, maybe 12 weeks. The website says 2-3 weeks. Not sure who is more reliable - the website or sales staff.

Yeah I also noticed that before I could see existing inventory and now there isn’t any I can see around me

Inventory as displayed on the website seems a bit overly filtered to me. I originally ordered on Oct 1 and was given a delivery date for Oct 9th - 4 or 5 days later. All during this time, inventory was next to nothing. The configuration of the car I ordered was not in end of year inventory, but it was clearly sitting somewhere -produced and waiting for a buyer. I mean - they have to let the paint dry!

I think that "in stock" inventory listing is only good at end of quarter when there are a lot of vehicles hanging around in delivery centers.