Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 10/13

was told it could be several weeks before I get matched and that some people may wait into December

I saw a car in inventory a few states away matching my configuration. Called my Advisor and they claimed the vin for me. Once they did that, it doesn’t show up on my login but I can see it in the source code. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive at the other center (it was in transit) so that it can then be shipped up to my center for delivery — hopefully 2 weeks or so

There were, according to the financial publications, 3000 cars in inventory when Q3 ended. That car is probably one of those. Glad you could find one. From what I read from analysts online, everyone believes that the US market has softened enormously. I don't believe that is true, but Tesla might. They are certainly acting as if the N. American market is not important.

Ordered Monday 10/14, received VIN 10/16, received text to schedule delivery 10/16. Picking up my MSM AWD with Aeros on Monday 10/21!

By the way, the trade in quote I received from Telsa was $2,700 less than I received from CarMax. Tesla matched it no questions asked.

Ordered Monday 10/14, received VIN 10/16, received text to schedule delivery 10/16. Picking up my MSM AWD with Aeros on Monday 10/21!

By the way, the trade in quote I received from Telsa was $2,700 less than I received from CarMax. Tesla matched it no questions asked.

Definitely a stock vehicle - but Congratulations! Amidst the chaos, you got one! Enjoy!

Reactions: Shamrock17
[QUOTE="jonquiljo, post: 4116564, member: 116051"From what I read from analysts online, everyone believes that the US market has softened enormously. I don't believe that is true, but Tesla might. They are certainly acting as if the N. American market is not important.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it that way. What it means is International orders are strong.
If Telsa wants to deliver to a new owner a car in Q4 to Europe it needs to make that car in October if not prior, possibly still early Nov.
They can easily deliver anything made in Nov and Dec to a US or Canada location but not to Europe so it makes perfect sense for them not to be making North American bound cars in October if orders from Europe or elsewhere are strong.

Not great for those that ordered in October (could not be matched to anything in inventory) and were not told this but it makes sense to me and does not mean they think US demand is less.

I just received an email from my SA informing me that the factory is currently fulfilling orders for overseas and they aren't sure when they will see more 3s. They are anticipating a delay of 6 weeks or more. This is in Northern California and my order date is 10/10.

I just received an email from my SA informing me that the factory is currently fulfilling orders for overseas and they aren't sure when they will see more 3s. They are anticipating a delay of 6 weeks or more. This is in Northern California and my order date is 10/10.

Is that a delay of 6 weeks, or 6 weeks on top of the wait you have already had? A difference of a week or 2 could mean before Thanksgiving or after.

I just called for update on my 9/28 order. Despite the “within 2 weeks” on my account, they’re saying it’s 6-10 weeks now, as others above have stated.

Again, is that 6-10 weeks from the order date, or 6-10 weeks from now (3-4 weeks in)?

[QUOTE="jonquiljo, post: 4116564, member: 116051"From what I read from analysts online, everyone believes that the US market has softened enormously. I don't believe that is true, but Tesla might. They are certainly acting as if the N. American market is not important.

The logistics of getting a car built in Fremont, Ca to Europe (probably closest foreign delivery point) is really complicated. They have to build car, get it to SF and on a ship, fill the ship, sail to Europe, unload and deal with customs, then start delivering to respective countries and buyers.

Of course international orders are strong. The logistics from Fremont to Europe has many orders unfulfilled. But the later Tesla goes shipping to Europe, the more likely they are to hit a bottleneck and end up Q4 with stock in inventory. Wrong side of balance sheet. If they started building overseas cars in late Sept, by Nov 1 they could have easily built 35,000 for export. Thats a lot of cars to deliver!

Tesla admits (in the media) that Q3 could/should have gone better in the US. They didn’t get their cars delivered because the infrastructure here for doing that is still primitive. So US orCanada deliveries are not that easy. Tesla (certainly by this last Summer) had an image of 2-3 week delivery. Abruptly changing that will abruptly change their US image. It really depends on how many cancellations or “non-orders” this will generate.

So Tesla is taking a risk if they go too far fulfilling foreign orders over US ones. It’s their call, and the wide range in US delivery estimates is telling as how unsure Tesla is about it all. It probably isn’t optimal that their US factory is in Fremont vs some gulf state.

The logistics of getting a car built in Fremont, Ca to Europe (probably closest foreign delivery point) is really complicated. They have to build car, get it to SF and on a ship, fill the ship, sail to Europe, unload and deal with customs, then start delivering to respective countries and buyers.

Of course international orders are strong. The logistics from Fremont to Europe has many orders unfulfilled. But the later Tesla goes shipping to Europe, the more likely they are to hit a bottleneck and end up Q4 with stock in inventory. Wrong side of balance sheet. If they started building overseas cars in late Sept, by Nov 1 they could have easily built 35,000 for export. Thats a lot of cars to deliver!

Tesla admits (in the media) that Q3 could/should have gone better in the US. They didn’t get their cars delivered because the infrastructure here for doing that is still primitive. So US orCanada deliveries are not that easy. Tesla (certainly by this last Summer) had an image of 2-3 week delivery. Abruptly changing that will abruptly change their US image. It really depends on how many cancellations or “non-orders” this will generate.

So Tesla is taking a risk if they go too far fulfilling foreign orders over US ones. It’s their call, and the wide range in US delivery estimates is telling as how unsure Tesla is about it all. It probably isn’t optimal that their US factory is in Fremont vs some gulf state.

I really only see it as a couple of week problem. The problem being one of lack of communication and the couple of weeks being those who purchased in the US in October when the website was still saying 2-3 week delivery as well as sales people who know nothing so will say whatever the website does.
If everyone in the US who ordered in October knew in advance it would be a 6-10 week timeframe but they would get their car by end of Q4 they would all be happy and they would have zero cancellations. Instead they screwed up the communications (Telsa not communicating things well to their customers, shocker!)
Given how long earlier owners had to wait for the car, 8 weeks is nothing. It is just when you are told 2 weeks and it becomes 8 you just made it into a problem.

I really only see it as a couple of week problem. The problem being one of lack of communication and the couple of weeks being those who purchased in the US in October when the website was still saying 2-3 week delivery as well as sales people who know nothing so will say whatever the website does.
If everyone in the US who ordered in October knew in advance it would be a 6-10 week timeframe but they would get their car by end of Q4 they would all be happy and they would have zero cancellations. Instead they screwed up the communications (Telsa not communicating things well to their customers, shocker!)
Given how long earlier owners had to wait for the car, 8 weeks is nothing. It is just when you are told 2 weeks and it becomes 8 you just made it into a problem.
Honestly, i dont care how long it takes, as long as i get it before the end of Q4 so i dont lose out on incentives..

Reactions: Cronn

Correct. Unfortunately, Tesla made it into a big problem (not us!). What is still not clear is if the 6-10 weeks is from order date or from now. It is also a 4 week window - which leaves a LOT of room for interpretation.

My only real concern is the time of year they predict delivery is the most chaotic month possible! December? Bad weather delays and hordes or people everywhere. Tesla must thrive on cutting things close.

Reactions: mreynolds767