Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had started the ordering process a few weeks ago with the goal of taking delivery in early December (to balance some tax issues) - when they changed the delivery time to 6-10 weeks I had them open my order to be matched so I could join the queue as 10 weeks would push me out of my window. Of course not 2 hours later they call me to tell me someone just declined a car that matches my specs so now I have to either take delivery a month and a half earlier than planned or risk missing out later...

Location bay area, I ordered a Blue Model 3 Long Range AWD FSD w/black interior on Oct 15 with 2500$ deposit, contacted my advisor after the price change they said they will honor the date of the order price and config. and will ship me a new spec(if there is any change due to the new price rise in mid-October) LW m3. I was told to expect delivery by mid-Nov to end of Nov and on my tesla account, it shows 2 weeks for delivery.
On Oct 18,19 No VIN and silence from tesla

I had started the ordering process a few weeks ago with the goal of taking delivery in early December (to balance some tax issues) - when they changed the delivery time to 6-10 weeks I had them open my order to be matched so I could join the queue as 10 weeks would push me out of my window. Of course not 2 hours later they call me to tell me someone just declined a car that matches my specs so now I have to either take delivery a month and a half earlier than planned or risk missing out later...

That’s a hard one as the car was “declined.” You don’t know why they declined it. It’s a guess as to whether “10 weeks”is a reality. So you’ve got a tougher call. I would bet that Tesla will deliver a US car by December 31, but I’m just me and Tesla is a little crazy. My guess however is that given the USA deadline of Dec 31, they will not risk missing it here. But that's a guess.

Ordered LR AWD on 3 October; after 15 days, the dealership says that their latest shipment is on their books for end-of-October delivery and yet didn't contain my car--so, still no VIN.

Since I'm looking to get a car before October is out, OA started looking around--and found a very similar car had just become available about 150mi away. (Car was being used for test drives; when a test car gets past ~1k, they stop doing that and put it out for sale only. This was one such.) Said yes, got the VIN assigned to me. Woot!

FTR, it's a LR AWD W+W with FSD and the 18" wheels. Very close to my original specs (wanted black outside, 19"--but didn't feel strongly about either).

Ordered LR AWD on 3 October; after 15 days, the dealership says that their latest shipment is on their books for end-of-October delivery and yet didn't contain my car--so, still no VIN.

Since I'm looking to get a car before October is out, OA started looking around--and found a very similar car had just become available about 150mi away. (Car was being used for test drives; when a test car gets past ~1k, they stop doing that and put it out for sale only. This was one such.) Said yes, got the VIN assigned to me. Woot!

FTR, it's a LR AWD W+W with FSD and the 18" wheels. Very close to my original specs (wanted black outside, 19"--but didn't feel strongly about either).

Congrats. Very good luck!

I tried to check stock with SF delivery MGR - and he couldn't find anything.

It's really hard to wait - even with the new posted delivery dates. It is clear that Tesla never really knows what's going on and it could be 6 weeks or 16 weeks. All they do is confirm they really don't know much of anything.

So you definitely did the right thing. Good luck with it. If it's only 150 miles away, it can't take too long to get to you. It's not like Tesla transport is overwhelmed with vehicles right now!

Reactions: Lertulo
That’s a hard one as the car was “declined.” You don’t know why they declined it. It’s a guess as to whether “10 weeks”is a reality. So you’ve got a tougher call. I would bet that Tesla will deliver a US car by December 31, but I’m just me and Tesla is a little crazy. My guess however is that given the USA deadline of Dec 31, they will not risk missing it here. But that's a guess.

If I could take deliver on the 31st I wouldn't be as concerned but I will be out of the country from the 21st on, tightening my window.

If I could take deliver on the 31st I wouldn't be as concerned but I will be out of the country from the 21st on, tightening my window.
Same here. My wife is having knee replacement surgery at on the 30th (I think)! It's very painful and we've been though it before. It will prevent me from having any time out of the house for at least 2 weeks and definitely 3+ weeks where I have to be on standby (not taking hours to pick up a car in San Francisco).

I figured it can be delivered by the 25th (I ordered on the 11th Oct.). If not, I will have to decline and reorder again!

If you pick up the declined car just look it over carefully (or even bring a friend). Lots of people can be picky and you or I wouldn't even notice. Ever since I've been serious about a Tesla - I've looked at other cars (Mercedes, BMW, etc.) and seen that they have problems too.

Give any car after 1 month of regular use and it will have nicks and stuff here and there.

Same here. My wife is having knee replacement surgery at on the 30th (I think)! It's very painful and we've been though it before. It will prevent me from having any time out of the house for at least 2 weeks and definitely 3+ weeks where I have to be on standby (not taking hours to pick up a car in San Francisco).

I figured it can be delivered by the 25th (I ordered on the 11th Oct.). If not, I will have to decline and reorder again!

If you pick up the declined car just look it over carefully (or even bring a friend). Lots of people can be picky and you or I wouldn't even notice. Ever since I've been serious about a Tesla - I've looked at other cars (Mercedes, BMW, etc.) and seen that they have problems too.

Give any car after 1 month of regular use and it will have nicks and stuff here and there.

they did say it was declined because they wanted to change their order (do not if they meant color, trim or what) so I'm hopeful it wasn't cause of the car itself. I'm not to picky on the appearance things - but alignment problems in the glass roof for example worry me.

they did say it was declined because they wanted to change their order (do not if they meant color, trim or what) so I'm hopeful it wasn't cause of the car itself. I'm not to picky on the appearance things - but alignment problems in the glass roof for example worry me.
That reason is very possible. People are all different. They may have waited until delivery time to say that they wanted a red instead of blue. I'm not sure that you could easily detect a problem in alignment of the roof, but sure you should try.

I'm a firm believer that if you can't easily see it - it's the luck of the draw. It's probably as good as any, if not better. Just document any possible problem you see. It never hurts to put things on paper, especially when it's someone else's paper.

Also, who says anything you get at the end of the month will potentially have less problems? I hope you get the car and like it. A premature "congrats!" from me.

This is my first post here. I ordered a red LR AWD with aero wheels on 10/2. There was already a car matching my specs on the way to the local delivery center but it was damaged on the way. My sales adviser unmatched me from that car and requested a new one. I received my VIN I think on 10/13. ETA for the East Coast is 10/22. Looks like I might be able to take delivery on 10/26.

I'm coming from a 2013 Chevy Volt and after 7 years of that I'm pretty excited to go full electric. I think I've watched almost every YouTube video about the Model 3 at this point. I've read the user manual through several times. I've ordered a number of accessories. All I need now is my car!

This is my first post here. I ordered a red LR AWD with aero wheels on 10/2. There was already a car matching my specs on the way to the local delivery center but it was damaged on the way. My sales adviser unmatched me from that car and requested a new one. I received my VIN I think on 10/13. ETA for the East Coast is 10/22. Looks like I might be able to take delivery on 10/26.

I'm coming from a 2013 Chevy Volt and after 7 years of that I'm pretty excited to go full electric. I think I've watched almost every YouTube video about the Model 3 at this point. I've read the user manual through several times. I've ordered a number of accessories. All I need now is my car!

Welcome! I was a two-time Volt owner and now have a two-Tesla garage. You are going to absolutely love it.

Are the order numbers sequential? I ordered on the 11th (8 days earlier) and my order number is 20,000 lower.

Me thinks that possibly this "event' of saying 2-3 weeks and changing it abruptly to 6-10 weeks has gotten everyone to order ASAP in Q4!

IIRC, it was the same last year. Tesla went into overdrive to fill as many orders as they could.

I bet a lot of these orders are from early Bolt buyers whose lease is expiring. I’m in that category.