Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a text to schedule my delivery.

So my timeline for my white/white 2020 LR AWD: Ordered on 10/19, got a call from a delivery adviser with VIN on 10/23 and scheduled for pick up on 11/9. Meanwhile, my VIN number was never in the source code and still isnt updated to show it so everyone should stop being so neurotic on checking for that daily.

I actually found out a few days ago that my car was arriving 11/7 when i called my local store regarding another issue. So the delivery advisers do know in advance regarding the status of your order before you get a text from Tesla.

Ordered the exact same car on 10/18. Still have not heard anything. It really is a mystery on How they distribute.

With today new FSD price at $7,000, what the advantage to order now over waiting for the 2021 VIN number?

You get to drive the car. Accept that technology is always improving and you will never out wait for this fact.

If you already own a Model 3, then waiting might make more sense since changes in Model 3 since release seem minimal. Meaning, I can't imagine someone having a 2018 Model 3 and saying, I need to trade in for the exact same car, but in a 2020 year.

from the little data that is out there , yes. -- where you order matters more than when you order.

By how much? If I ordered 2nd week in October in the Bay Area - will someone who orders on the east coast now get their car before I do?

It doesn't make logical sense after a point, because all the Bay Area orders would be slammed into a very short time. The delivery centers would be overloaded. It makes sense to ship to "distant" places now - but it seems like they would want to get local delivery centers delivering here too.

If not, it kind of defeats the incentive to order early if you live close to the Fremont factory. Whether you order late September or early November - you delivery date will be the same!

California orders -might- get VINs assigned later, but that doesn't necessarily mean deliveries happen later. It takes 2+ weeks to ship to the east coast. In the Bay Area, if picking up in Fremont, it's zero shipping time.

I'll say it again. It's all about trim. If they are currently churning out LR/AWDs, it's very possible, maybe even likely, California gets VINs before eastern buyers with SR+ and Performance trims.

California orders -might- get VINs assigned later, but that doesn't necessarily mean deliveries happen later. It takes 2+ weeks to ship to the east coast. In the Bay Area, if picking up in Fremont, it's zero shipping time.

I'll say it again. It's all about trim. If they are currently churning out LR/AWDs, it's very possible, maybe even likely, California gets VINs before eastern buyers with SR+ and Performance trims.

It is about trim to a good extent. But Fremont can produce a lot of cars!

Performance seem to be delayed a bit - as the website estimates have had Performance as 2 weeks longer than other trims. Some part(s) must be in short supply for a bit. LR AWD is the next highest Model 3 profit margin for them. So yes, I would expect that if they flooded the markets with AWD LR, Tesla will get some people to switch.

Someone reported today seeing a carrier full of Model 3's with foreign license plate holders on them. So Tesla's delivery logistics is probably a lot more complicated than what we think.

Reactions: puppers