Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my tentative delivery date, via official text I think, as 12/8! I'm in South Florida.

Is it always tentative?

Picked up today. Had to wait a bit as they were busy.

Everything was fine except the air filter panel was loose a bit. Fixed with service on the spot. SA informed me that was rare, in the event there was anything major they would get me another car later on.

Love the car, everyone I've shown it to loves it, random people already asking about it.

My prediction for the next 3 weeks and three days.

Week 1 (Dec 8 - 14): California (Oct Orders) will all finally get VINs while Upper West Coast, East Coast and Central Coast continue to take VINs & deliveries (especially those who placed orders in Nov and Dec). Backlog for non California should probably be lower at this point. (I hope)

Week 2 (Dec 15 - 21): Flood gates open! California (Oct Orders) will take deliveries, California (Nov Orders) will be assigned VINs, all other regions continue to prosper as they have been.

Week 3 (Dec 22 - 28): California (Nov Orders) Take Deliveries, California (Dec Orders prior to the 8th) will be assigned VINs.

Weekish 4 (Dec 29 - 31): California (Dec Orders) Take Deliveries and whatever remaining

Just wishful thinking, but who wants to start placing bets? step right up! :D

Reactions: Clh79
Given the days going by in December, and the supposed assurance that all who've ordered up to this point will get cars before year end, the schedule you've suggested seems to be the most plausible.

I'm still realistically expecting my car to NOT be delivered in the current decade (11/15 order date, SF/Bay Area). Good luck everyone!

Week 1 (Dec 8 - 14): California (Oct Orders) will all finally get VINs while Upper West Coast, East Coast and Central Coast continue to take VINs & deliveries (especially those who placed orders in Nov and Dec). Backlog for non California should probably be lower at this point. (I hope)

Week 2 (Dec 15 - 21): Flood gates open! California (Oct Orders) will take deliveries, California (Nov Orders) will be assigned VINs, all other regions continue to prosper as they have been.

Week 3 (Dec 22 - 28): California (Nov Orders) Take Deliveries, California (Dec Orders prior to the 8th) will be assigned VINs.

Weekish 4 (Dec 29 - 31): California (Dec Orders) Take Deliveries and whatever remaining

Reactions: skydreamerjae

Having ordered on Oct 10 from San Jose, and being given an ETA of Dec 27 as recently as two days ago, while others who ordered as little as a week ago across the other side of the country take deliveries, I suspect you may be placing too much emphasis on date ordered and not enough on distance from Fremont. California is a big state. I don’t think Tesla cares when anyone ordered. They care about shipping as many as they can, which means distance from Fremont for delivery by Dec 31 is everything.

Having ordered on Oct 10 from San Jose, and being given an ETA of Dec 27 as recently as two days ago, while others who ordered as little as a week ago across the other side of the country take deliveries, I suspect you may be placing too much emphasis on date ordered and not enough on distance from Fremont. California is a big state. I don’t think Tesla cares when anyone ordered. They care about shipping as many as they can, which means distance from Fremont for delivery by Dec 31 is everything.

Yeah, I agree with you. Seeing people who order later having their VIN already doesn’t make me happy as a customer.

Here we go!
Also got VIN in source code - 12/06/2019
Ordered 11/21/2019
Charlotte, NC
LR AWD White / White, 18" Wheels
One more question -
I live in NC and got the text yesterday to make sure my delivery profile is all filled out. I suppose that means I need to go ahead and get insurance set up now with only a week until delivery. Do I just have the insurance set to be effective for the day of delivery and upload proof beforehand to my Tesla account?

Sorry if I sound like I will be venting a bit but perhaps this post will help others when their delivery date approaches. I just picked up my Model 3 AWD (not Performance) this last Friday. The week turned out to be rather chaotic because of the way Tesla decided to (NOT) inform me of when my delivery date was. Here is what I just told them in the post-delivery survey they sent me this morning:

"You really need to work on communication prior to delivery. First, as you know, financing and insurance need a VIN number in order to be completed. By not giving me a VIN number until two days prior to the delivery date (only one actual business day since I found the VIN on a Sunday morning) that YOU assigned me without even checking with me is completely unacceptable. Second, nobody told me that you had assigned me a delivery date. No email, no phone call. The only way I found out about the delivery date was because I checked in to my online account on a Sunday morning and, surprise, there was my assigned delivery date for Tuesday at 10:30 am. Was this some sort of 'Double Secret Probation' scheme? Were you hoping I wouldn't find out so you could give my car to another person? Needless to say I had to reschedule the delivery until Friday but even that barely gave me the time to finish the financing documents with my lender and get the insurance set up."

So, I guess my suggestion to anyone waiting for delivery is to check into their online account every morning and evening to make sure that a delivery date hasn't been secretly assigned to you and nobody from Tesla has let you know!

Also, yes, the car is fantastic and worth the wait (and the Tesla created chaos).

Sorry if I sound like I will be venting a bit but perhaps this post will help others when their delivery date approaches. I just picked up my Model 3 AWD (not Performance) this last Friday. The week turned out to be rather chaotic because of the way Tesla decided to (NOT) inform me of when my delivery date was. Here is what I just told them in the post-delivery survey they sent me this morning:

"You really need to work on communication prior to delivery. First, as you know, financing and insurance need a VIN number in order to be completed. By not giving me a VIN number until two days prior to the delivery date (only one actual business day since I found the VIN on a Sunday morning) that YOU assigned me without even checking with me is completely unacceptable. Second, nobody told me that you had assigned me a delivery date. No email, no phone call. The only way I found out about the delivery date was because I checked in to my online account on a Sunday morning and, surprise, there was my assigned delivery date for Tuesday at 10:30 am. Was this some sort of 'Double Secret Probation' scheme? Were you hoping I wouldn't find out so you could give my car to another person? Needless to say I had to reschedule the delivery until Friday but even that barely gave me the time to finish the financing documents with my lender and get the insurance set up."

So, I guess my suggestion to anyone waiting for delivery is to check into their online account every morning and evening to make sure that a delivery date hasn't been secretly assigned to you and nobody from Tesla has let you know!

Also, yes, the car is fantastic and worth the wait (and the Tesla created chaos).

I absolutely concur with your criticism on communication - especially your advice to check each and every day.

They sent me a text message to schedule delivery. No e-mail, and there was no link to do it on the Account page. If I hadn't received that text, I wouldn't have known to schedule.
It's >possible< they texted you and you didn't receive it, or they don't have a Mobile number on file?
I do agree they need to improve the communications; I'm not debating that. The link to schedule delivery should be presented in a few channels.

Ordered 10/7 delivered 12/7 - Maryland. Was scheduled for later in the week, but got a call and said cars had come in early. SA said the cars are usually sent on train to Georgia and then trucked to east coast dealers. To beat this EOY rush, cars were trucked all the way from Fresno non-stop via truck with Drivers swapping out at certain points to keep the trucks moving and avoid rest driver requirements.

• Love
Reactions: Elmacdios
Hm, you have a point! Here's my updated prediction with distance from Fremont in mind:

Week 1 (Dec 8 - 14): Southern California (Oct/Nov Orders) will all finally get VINs while Upper West Coast, East Coast and Central Coast continue to take VINs & deliveries (especially those who placed orders in Nov and Dec). Backlog for non California should probably be lower at this point. (I hope)

Week 2 (Dec 15 - 21): Flood gates open! Southern California (Oct/Nov Orders) will take deliveries, Northern California (Oct/Nov Orders) will be assigned VINs, all other regions continue to prosper as they have been.

Week 3 (Dec 22 - 28): Northern California (Oct/Nov Orders) Take Deliveries, All California (Dec Orders prior to the 8th) will be assigned VINs.

Weekish 4 (Dec 29 - 31): All California (Dec Orders) Take Deliveries and whatever remaining backlog take deliveries

Reactions: Paullydoughnut
Hm, you have a point! Here's my updated prediction with distance from Fremont in mind:

Week 1 (Dec 8 - 14): Southern California (Oct/Nov Orders) will all finally get VINs while Upper West Coast, East Coast and Central Coast continue to take VINs & deliveries (especially those who placed orders in Nov and Dec). Backlog for non California should probably be lower at this point. (I hope)

Week 2 (Dec 15 - 21): Flood gates open! Southern California (Oct/Nov Orders) will take deliveries, Northern California (Oct/Nov Orders) will be assigned VINs, all other regions continue to prosper as they have been.

Week 3 (Dec 22 - 28): Northern California (Oct/Nov Orders) Take Deliveries, All California (Dec Orders prior to the 8th) will be assigned VINs.

Weekish 4 (Dec 29 - 31): All California (Dec Orders) Take Deliveries and whatever remaining backlog take deliveries
Hoping this is true.