Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD with AP or SR+ with FSD

LR AWD w/ AP or SR+ with FSD

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have bee on this forum debating what model to get but with all the changes between FEB and now. It has been difficult I was pretty much set on LR RWD with FSD but they got rid of that model. Now I am stuck with either SR + with FSD or just LR AWD with only AP as my budget is max 50K but the AWD with FSD would be like 55k and I really don't want to stretch an extra 5k. If I get the SR+ with FSD it would be 45k approx while if I get AWD will be 50k with just AP.

After yesterdays new that all cars come with HW3 I am really leaning to having FSD though I am not sure how much I would trust it and use it every day. I test drove one with AP and it was good enough though I would like the auto lane change part that is no longer included unless you go up to FSD package. Personally I feel safer having extra range going with AWD I don't really think I would notice difference from 5.3 sec and 4.5 sec in both cars. Any recommendations?

You can still order LR RWD by calling them to order.

You can always add FSD later. You can't upgrade the battery later. Nobody has ever complained about too much range. Even once FSD exists, there's a huge battle to get it to be legal. Get the bigger battery.
Second everything here.

FSD in my opinion won't be mainstream until years later. So much can happen between now and then, (accident, depreciation, etc.).

My suggestion - call Tesla or visit a showroom to order LR, RWD with AP. Maybe with this option, you can add FSD if it falls under your budget. By no means should anyone stretch budget just for FSD.

If the past two months have taught us anything, it's that the FSD price will likely go down in price in the future. :)

Second everything here.

FSD in my opinion won't be mainstream until years later. So much can happen between now and then, (accident, depreciation, etc.).

My suggestion - call Tesla or visit a showroom to order LR, RWD with AP. Maybe with this option, you can add FSD if it falls under your budget. By no means should anyone stretch budget just for FSD.

If the past two months have taught us anything, it's that the FSD price will likely go down in price in the future. :)

I still would love the LR RWD I don't think I need AWD here in missouri we get like 3-4 snow falls per year of only 2-3 inches. Nothing like Denver area or Northeast. However the LR RWD are probably older ones that didn't sell yet and don't have AP3 so if I ever want to get it it will be a hassle to get that swapped etc right? While if I get any car produced now or later its just a software update. I think after seeing some responses here I am leaning for AWD with just AP. I think it would be amazing to have FSD but idk how often I would use full self driving, though I haven't experienced it enough to say for sure other than in a test drive with EAP. It changed lanes etc for me and it was cool and I guess would be cool to show off to friends/family but I do enjoy driving and accelerating a vehicle and feeling the car so idk if I would use it and may even just like the normal AP better for times of traffic or short breaks from driving on a specific lane. It just sucks the software goes from 5k to 7k if purchased after...that's a huge premium increase if purchased later :/

Right, but he also said the absolute best case is that the cars would be able to do that *somewhere on Earth* by the end of next year. So I don’t see paying substantially more in the next 12 months, no matter what he thinks.

Get longer ranger for sure. FSD might technically go up in price but if nobody bites there will likely be another sale sometime in the future for an end of quarter cash grab and drop it significantly. Also when FSD and the hardware matures it could drop and who knows maybe it won't be ready for years and you would be ready to upgrade to a new car. l have learned after having my X and 3 that future software has always been delayed. I bought EAP 2 times and it still doesn't work that great. Summon has frequently not worked, even worse for autopark, and autopilot still has phantom brakes. The demo from yesterday could have been planned out but I won't be buying any future software till it's out and working reliably.

On a side note, I'd encourage you to get in contact with a local showroom sales advisor who can look up discounted inventory. Wait till final week of the quarter and you might get a huge discount on a car. I got $7700 off a P3D inventory non demo car with 7 miles on it - blue on white with autopilot. Someone else got $11000 off a P3D which was a demo. My dad got a new P100D S with EAP and white interior for 77k. The bigger discounts are on higher trim models, you might get a AWD for low to mid 40s or a P3D right around 50k.

Get longer ranger for sure. FSD might technically go up in price but if nobody bites there will likely be another sale sometime in the future for an end of quarter cash grab and drop it significantly. Also when FSD and the hardware matures it could drop and who knows maybe it won't be ready for years and you would be ready to upgrade to a new car. l have learned after having my X and 3 that future software has always been delayed. I bought EAP 2 times and it still doesn't work that great. Summon has frequently not worked, even worse for autopark, and autopilot still has phantom brakes. The demo from yesterday could have been planned out but I won't be buying any future software till it's out and working reliably.

On a side note, I'd encourage you to get in contact with a local showroom sales advisor who can look up discounted inventory. Wait till final week of the quarter and you might get a huge discount on a car. I got $7700 off a P3D inventory non demo car with 7 miles on it - blue on white with autopilot. Someone else got $11000 off a P3D which was a demo. My dad got a new P100D S with EAP and white interior for 77k. The bigger discounts are on higher trim models, you might get a AWD for low to mid 40s or a P3D right around 50k.

When is end of quarter? I have to return my current lease on June 6th. They have a 2 week order timeline for AWD. I am not sure if I can keep my current lease past June 6th since the dealer knows I am not buying for them since I haven't answered to their many offers on a new lease/purchase haha

Do you plan on buying FSD? If so it doesn’t matter because the FSD purchase guarantees you get the new HW3 so you might as well get a 2018 with a discount.
If I don't get FSD initially I might purchase it within 12-18 months when the new updates arrive. I think some of the LR RWD were produced in 2019 when they brought it back briefly. I am very mad they got rid of that model its a steal 325 miles of range and 0-60 in 5.0 all for 43k. I was set on that vehicle for June and then they pulled the plug on it. I will call and see if they have any available in Missouri Tesla Locations, I am guessing if they don't they can bring one from any of the other stores. I sort of wish it could be one with hw3 already on it, I would hate to have to deal with retrofitting the vehicle if its a hassle. I have heard several people haven't even gotten their Dual Motor signs forever so imagine a HW3 retrofit.

When is end of quarter? I have to return my current lease on June 6th. They have a 2 week order timeline for AWD. I am not sure if I can keep my current lease past June 6th since the dealer knows I am not buying for them since I haven't answered to their many offers on a new lease/purchase haha

I'm in CA and could pick up the inventory discounted car the same day order was placed. June 30th is last day of quarter. Anytime between June 24-30 would be the ideal time to jump as they are trying to push everything out the door by that time. This was based on last quarter which had lower deliveries, I'm sure Tesla wants to really push hard this quarter to avoid that happening again. Maybe you can Uber/Lyft a few weeks or do a short rental?

I'm in CA and could pick up the inventory discounted car the same day order was placed. June 30th is last day of quarter. Anytime between June 24-30 would be the ideal time to jump as they are trying to push everything out the door by that time. This was based on last quarter which had lower deliveries, I'm sure Tesla wants to really push hard this quarter to avoid that happening again. Maybe you can Uber/Lyft a few weeks or do a short rental?
I am going to call my leasing bank and see what types of costs I would incur keeping my current lease 1 extra month. If they charge 1 more monthly plus maybe couple hundred I would be keen. All I see online inventory for all USA for model 3s are SR+ and AWD and P3Ds I am guessing the LR RWD are not being listed and I need to call. Wonder if there will be any available come June :/

Elon stated in the message yesterday that they will be focusing primarily on the SR+, because of cell supply constraints they would be de-emphasizing the LR offering. This allows them to build more cars, with the same amount of batteries.

I personally have gone the SR+ with FSD. I think LR RWD will soon be discontinued, and would expect a significant drop in resale value.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Elon stated in the message yesterday that they will be focusing primarily on the SR+, because of cell supply constraints they would be de-emphasizing the LR offering. This allows them to build more cars, with the same amount of batteries.

I personally have gone the SR+ with FSD. I think LR RWD will soon be discontinued, and would expect a significant drop in resale value.

If it's discontinued, I highly doubt the LR RWD would see significant drop in value. If anything it would be more sought after since it's the longest range and most efficient Model 3 and comes with the full PUP package with the excellent stereo. We own a 75D X with the Model 3 and we ended up leaving the X at home for road trips. In CA as more people get Tesla's the superchargers are filling up and sometimes there are wait times. The LR RWD let's us bypass a supercharger if needed. We made it from socal to Vegas without stopping. And can go to bay area with a single stop at the Kettleman City charger. Range is King speaking from experience having multiple Tesla's at home. Also bigger battery means higher speeds to supercharge for longer period of time.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I was at a Tesla dealer in Bay Area last Friday. I test drove a LR AWD. Was awesome. They had the following configurations that I could choose from: Standard, Standard +, LR RWD, LR AWD and Performance AWD. So as far as I was told, I could order a LR in either RW or AWD, I think the difference was $2000 or $3000. Also, I guess there used to be two version of the performance, one with just the software and the other with the rims/tires/spoiler/lowered suspension. Now there is only 1 performance with all the gear on it.

Test driving a used performance model form 2018 today at a 3rd party dealer. Skeptical about what shape it is in. Has low miles and greta price, but interested too see if it is this P- I've heard about. Price is about the same as buying a LR AWD new after incentives.