Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR Model 3 vs. SR Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5EC0B742-FD63-4CA1-B94C-A718C666B141.jpeg
CB9367F7-9F59-40C4-A1B9-32F9652A5309.jpeg
Hey everyone, this is my first post so thank you for giving me a place to air my concerns. I know this post is going to be pretty long. Currently I do not have a Tesla but I am looking to get one within the first half of the year.

Recently I was dead set on a Long Range Model 3 because not only does it have a bigger battery, but I care a lot about the the interior so the Premium upgrade was also worth it to me.

However with the announcement of the Standard Range Model Y, I did some research and found that all of these models come with the Premium Interior. Being that the SR Model Y is $5000 less than the LR Model 3 I was looking at, all of a sudden this Model Y that I wasn’t considering became much more appealing, especially because it has a lot more space.

What’s got me hesitant is the 100-mile difference in range. Currently in my Lancer I get about 250 miles on a full tank. I don’t have a long commute to work by any means but Iive in an apartment complex that doesn’t have EV charging or a way I can plug in overnight. I live in Central Florida and while there are a great amount of chargers including where I work, but I would still have more confidence in a bigger battery.

Once I spec out the SR Y to my desired configuration (Metallic Blue paint, Induction wheels, standard Autopilot, black interior), there is a $2000 difference between the SR Y and a similar spec (only difference being the Aero wheels) LR 3 (which works out to about a $30 difference on monthly leasing payments).

I would love if any experienced Tesla owners can help me out with the following questions:

• Is it worth spending up to $5000 ($60/mo. on a lease) more for the Long Range?
  • Do the Induction wheels decrease the range compared to the Gemini wheels on the Model Y?
  • Does the SR battery charge quicker than the LR batteries?
  • Do the Y and 3 have a similar suspension and if so is the ride quality on bigger rims negatively effected?
  • Is range anxiety overrated? Does it really
Thank you for your time, I greatly appreciate the help. I have attached my ideal specs for both models which I’m open to tweaking to safe costs. Thank you for letting me get all of this off my chest.

• Is it worth spending up to $5000 ($60/mo. on a lease) more for the Long Range?
Yes, depending on your driving conditions.
  • Do the Induction wheels decrease the range compared to the Gemini wheels on the Model Y?
Yes
It charges slower at superchargers. Shouldn't be much different at home.
  • Do the Y and 3 have a similar suspension and if so is the ride quality on bigger rims negatively effected?
Suspension is similar but Y felt more floaty to me. Bigger rims=worse ride. Some people notice, some don't.
Range anxiety is overrated in most instances. If you do get very low and are unsure if you'll make it to a charger, it can be a bit stressful. But this pretty much never happens. I had far more range anxiety in my gas car every week trying to go as long as possible without visiting a gas station lol

Reactions: Mr X
View attachment 626729 View attachment 626730 Hey everyone, this is my first post so thank you for giving me a place to air my concerns. I know this post is going to be pretty long. Currently I do not have a Tesla but I am looking to get one within the first half of the year.

Recently I was dead set on a Long Range Model 3 because not only does it have a bigger battery, but I care a lot about the the interior so the Premium upgrade was also worth it to me.

However with the announcement of the Standard Range Model Y, I did some research and found that all of these models come with the Premium Interior. Being that the SR Model Y is $5000 less than the LR Model 3 I was looking at, all of a sudden this Model Y that I wasn’t considering became much more appealing, especially because it has a lot more space.

What’s got me hesitant is the 100-mile difference in range. Currently in my Lancer I get about 250 miles on a full tank. I don’t have a long commute to work by any means but Iive in an apartment complex that doesn’t have EV charging or a way I can plug in overnight. I live in Central Florida and while there are a great amount of chargers including where I work, but I would still have more confidence in a bigger battery.

Once I spec out the SR Y to my desired configuration (Metallic Blue paint, Induction wheels, standard Autopilot, black interior), there is a $2000 difference between the SR Y and a similar spec (only difference being the Aero wheels) LR 3 (which works out to about a $30 difference on monthly leasing payments).

I would love if any experienced Tesla owners can help me out with the following questions:

Thank you for your time, I greatly appreciate the help. I have attached my ideal specs for both models which I’m open to tweaking to safe costs. Thank you for letting me get all of this off my chest.

One mistake many prospective tesla owners make is, they see the range of the car, and they think they will be able to drive that range, or charge to that range, all the time, and it doesnt work that way.

You will, in general, charge from somewhere around 20-30% to somewhere around 80-90%. Miles also will not roll off at a 1:1 basis, just like most ICE vehicles do not get their stated MPG unless driven like the tests, which most dont.

To over simplify, a tesla with a 244 mile range will be charged in general to a maximum of 90% of 244, which is 220 mile (when new). It will in general be discharged to no lower than 20%, which is 49 miles. 220 mile start minus 49 miles left = 171 miles of "actual" range a person might have access to, driving that car in general terms.

You wont get EPA range unless you drive about 50MPH on the freeway (miles wont roll off at 1:1, so 171 rated miles is going to be somewhere between 120 to 170 miles (given weather, temperature etc).

So, the question is not "is 244 miles enough for me". The question is "is 120-170 miles range enough for me on a regular basis". Because you dont have EV charging at home, the answer is likely "no". If you had home charging, you could reasonably assume, as long as you didnt drive more than 120 -140 miles a day on a regular basis, you would be fine. You dont have home charging, so what you need to be asking yourself is, am I ok with going somewhere to charge every 3-4 days vs every 5-6 days?

The calculations for the long range version are the same, but the battery is bigger so the numbers are bigger. To spare you all the numbers instead of it being 120-170 miles, you could simply add roughly the difference in the two cars range, so roughly 100 miles. (220-270 miles).

You can NOT (repeat, can NOT) look a the range of the car and say "it goes 244 miles on a charge, my commute to work and back is only 20 miles, so I can just charge once every 10 days or so and I will be fine", cause thats not how it works as I explained above.

TL ; DR, decide if 120-170 miles range (when new, not counting any battery degredation that will occur over the years) is ok for you. If so, then perhaps the SR Y will be ok. Since you dont have home charging, you should be looking at as much range as possible, and if you want a Y, save up longer and get a Long range Y.... but its not my money.

2019 Model 3 SR+ here. My car has a 240 mile EPA estimated range. I've never seen it.

My car displays 196-200 miles on a 90% charge which is what you'll charge to majority of the time. You only charge 100% on a road trip or any trip where you really need the full battery.

SR Model Y being similar to mine, you'll see around the same or even slightly less range since the Y is a bigger vehicle.

Now, that's just the display range via the guessometer.

Realistically, I usually get around 160 miles on a 90% charge because I smash the pedal a lot and have higher energy consumption. I have achieved over 200 miles on a charge driving ~67 on the highway. Autopilot made that slow drive bearable but it was still slow. I also had no range anxiety but If I had more range I could have driven much faster without even thinking about how much range I had left. Peace of mind is always nice.

The Dual Motor 3 is what I'd recommend you go with. The traction and handling is amazing compared to the real wheel drive + the extra range will be appreciated.

Model Y obviously has more space than the Model 3, but the 3 has a lot of space. How much space do you really need? Not sure if you've seen the cars in person but If I were you I'd check them out first.

Thanks everyone for your input! I had a test drive in the Model Y and it felt really good. Now that I have a feel for the car, I’m going to track my mileage for the next few weeks and see how my usual schedule works out.

If there’s any more insight anyone can lend, of course it’s all greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Great posts above. The only thing that I'll add is to consider how much that extra space in the Y is worth to you based on your needs. If you have a bunch of kids or otherwise need the extra storage, then that would be weighted much more in your decision than a family with 0 or 1 kid, for instance.

I just had the exact same decision a few weeks ago except mine was between the LR M3 and LR MY. I chose the LR M3 because it has longer range, was faster, and to me looks better. I have one child and so think the M3 will be plenty of room for every day. Plus our other car is a Prius V which has quite a bit of cargo room.The fact that it was a little bit cheaper did not play much into my end decision.

Last night while checking existing inventory I saw the LR M3 with 406 miles on it so this morning I made the leap and placed my order! Thanks everyone for your insight. I think I could’ve made a Standard Range work with the charging network as good as it is in my area, but ultimately more range would put me at ease. Very excited once I take delivery of my Tesla Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mr X and jjrandorin
View attachment 626729 View attachment 626730 Hey everyone, this is my first post so thank you for giving me a place to air my concerns. I know this post is going to be pretty long. Currently I do not have a Tesla but I am looking to get one within the first half of the year.

your lancer only get 250 miles on one fuel tank? jesus. my old e46 from the 90s used to do 500 miles if you drive at the speed limit.

Anyway, youll want the long range model 3.