Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, this makes it $1500 since I test drove it a month ago. The last $500 increase happened literally hours prior to me placing an order to "lock-in" the price which was rather frustrating. At least I guess I got insulated from this increase. I suspect this will not be the last hike. At this point I'm going to wait it out to see if the Federal rebate/credits happen. If not, it seems a bit silly to spend at the increased prices on the Model Y right now when a ton of competition for it is right around the corner later this year and into next year. As hard as it is to fight my urge for instant gratification, that seems the prudent course of action for me.

Chip shortage... gonna just keep going up from here. Modern cars require hundreds, if not thousands each... and the shortage is said to most likely last until next year some time (per the news this afternoon)

Padding the coffers now, to ride out the storm when they cant get enough to maintain profitable manufacturing lines...

Chip shortage... gonna just keep going up from here. Modern cars require hundreds, if not thousands each... and the shortage is said to most likely last until next year some time (per the news this afternoon)

Padding the coffers now, to ride out the storm when they cant get enough to maintain profitable manufacturing lines...
I think it's not just chips. A lot of raw materials are getting crazy expensive with demand booming in an unanticipated way (especially in the US) and supply failing to catch up quick enough after being decimated over the last year. Steel is almost 3X more expensive now than from a couple of years back. Timber is also getting really expensive and impacting new home construction. I think a lot of the raw materials going into Teslas are going to be getting more expensive and impacting their price. Of course, there is also the cynical interpretation that this is all leading up to potential tax credits so Tesla can maximize profits.

Reactions: TechOps
Not to mention the lack of fuel truck drivers to deliver fuel to the pump... we are going to be in for a bumpy ride this summer.

Not a lot of people are mentally prepared for pandemic scarcity economics

$500 every alternate Thursday - April 8, April 22, May 6.

For the LR Model Y, don't forget the $1K price drop on February 21, 2021 and the $1K Price increase on March 11, 2021. I can see the LR price increase to the past high price of $52,990.
Tesla Model Y Base Price History (5).png

Just demand?

and looks like chip problem is not a problem for Tesla:

Just demand?

and looks like chip problem is not a problem for Tesla:
Note that used car prices climbed too.
I sold my truck that I drove for 4 y and 9mo taking only 35% hit. Usually, by that time it is worth 50% of what I paid for it new.
So Carvana added $4k to what they paid me and listed it for 74% of new truck price.
Purchase pending :) I personally would never pay that price for 5 year old truck with 65k miles on it.

Note that used car prices climbed too.
I sold my truck that I drove for 4 y and 9mo taking only 35% hit. Usually, by that time it is worth 50% of what I paid for it new.
So Carvana added $4k to what they paid me and listed it for 74% of new truck price.
Purchase pending :) I personally would never pay that price for 5 year old truck with 65k miles on it.

Why are used car prices going up?

Why are used car prices going up?
Because the chip shortage. Fewer new cars can be produced which equals lower supply. Lower supply over all equals new car scarcity.

Supply scarcity equals price inflation of available supply.

First time car owners, natural car buying cycle, car wrecks, car collectors etc... all demand that exists regardless of a Pandemic. Auto Industry has been pretty good with making just enough new cars the last few decades.

Reactions: zpaul
So glad that I learned after watching 3 price increases that forking over $100 to lock in the price and pushing out delivery was the way to go. Wish I would have in March but oh well atleast I avoided this latest increase and future ones. Looking forward to getting my LR MY late this summer!