Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steel prices have tripled due to COVID "nonsense".... it would be surprising if the production costs impacting Tesla wouldn't change during the past few months...

wrt used car prices rising... Apparently normal used car buyers are now having to compete with car rental companies like Hertz and Avis, who during 2020-21 saw their business plummet and so they sold huge numbers of their fleet off. Now they can't buy enough new cars (chip shortage), so they are buying used cars to rent out.... AND car rental rates are through the roof... what might have been $30-40/day is now over $100/day... with vacation spots renting out at $300-400/day or more. Its all insane, COVID-related dynamics.

Last edited:
Assuming the increase is in expectation of federal assistance credits, I would rather see Tesla slowly ramp up the price rather than one giant jump of 7k in August. That would really turn buyers off.

Probably has a little to do with the fact that there are zero new Model Y cars in stock anywhere in the US right now, and only 1 listed as "used" with 570 miles.

When I looked earlier this week, there were 2 new Model Y's in stock. You can see this on ev-cpo or just have the SA do a search for you and they'll confirm the same thing.

There's also only 3 new Model 3 cars available in the US right now, and I'm sure Tesla knows this and has taken this into consideration knowing that they can get people to pay more for one of the hottest selling cars right now. So while it sucks for the consumer, Tesla is capitalizing on it because it's a business.

As for any federal tax credits that may come, I'm not holding that to any grain of salt until you actually start to see some movement in congress. Until then, that's a pretty thin reason for Tesla to be raising their prices.

Reactions: jgd108
I put my money down in January at 37,990 and after the February price drop I got the better price. Took delivery on 2/28 at 36,990. I got lucky. I'd have thought twice at 39,490 as it was already a stretch for me at the price I was going to pay. I was also looking at the other new electrics coming out like the Mach-E and VW, but they weren't really available, and besides the M3 SR+ still seemed like the better car.

Probably has a little to do with the fact that there are zero new Model Y cars in stock anywhere in the US right now, and only 1 listed as "used" with 570 miles.

When I looked earlier this week, there were 2 new Model Y's in stock. You can see this on ev-cpo or just have the SA do a search for you and they'll confirm the same thing.

There's also only 3 new Model 3 cars available in the US right now, and I'm sure Tesla knows this and has taken this into consideration knowing that they can get people to pay more for one of the hottest selling cars right now. So while it sucks for the consumer, Tesla is capitalizing on it because it's a business.

As for any federal tax credits that may come, I'm not holding that to any grain of salt until you actually start to see some movement in congress. Until then, that's a pretty thin reason for Tesla to be raising their prices.
Not to mention their underlying costs are escalating. It’s both supply AND demand of their cars and the constituent parts, labor etc. all of it is going up and to the right.

Yup, this makes it $1500 since I test drove it a month ago. The last $500 increase happened literally hours prior to me placing an order to "lock-in" the price which was rather frustrating. At least I guess I got insulated from this increase. I suspect this will not be the last hike. At this point I'm going to wait it out to see if the Federal rebate/credits happen. If not, it seems a bit silly to spend at the increased prices on the Model Y right now when a ton of competition for it is right around the corner later this year and into next year. As hard as it is to fight my urge for instant gratification, that seems the prudent course of action for me.
Guess the old saying is right..."You snooze, you lose!"

I mentioned this yesterday, and then I saw this article today: Sold Out: Tesla Demand Reaches Unbelievable Heights

Besides the economy and supply parts being scarce these days, I'm sure Tesla is capitalizing on more new orders coming in.

Tesla pricing can be strange, although not always just on the increase side of things. In 2020, I put in my deposit in February, but was not able to take delivery until May 2020 due to the pandemic. In May, after I had been told my car was ready, I had paid the full balance, and just before taking delivery - and a few months after I had locked in the purchase price - Tesla told me that they had retrospectively reduced the price and would be sending me a cheque for $2000(Canadian). I did not see any real reason for them to do that, but I did not say "no".

:)

Last edited:
Tesla price increase
I red in this article that Tesla increased the price for M3 and MY again by 2000USD. This was the third increase in USA thai year. In Germany the prices went down in Winter by 2000EUR and were stable since then. Is it only the problem with chips which block the numbers of delivery and result in price increas or is it the start of a general worldwide increase

Yup, this makes it $1500 since I test drove it a month ago. The last $500 increase happened literally hours prior to me placing an order to "lock-in" the price which was rather frustrating. At least I guess I got insulated from this increase. I suspect this will not be the last hike. At this point I'm going to wait it out to see if the Federal rebate/credits happen. If not, it seems a bit silly to spend at the increased prices on the Model Y right now when a ton of competition for it is right around the corner later this year and into next year. As hard as it is to fight my urge for instant gratification, that seems the prudent course of action for me.
I'm almost in a similar position, waiting for the Green Act and watching the price go up is frustrating. But like you knowing soon there will be more competition which I hope will bring the price back down. Fortunately I have time on my side but still hard fighting the instant urge to just order one. Maybe someone else will put out a new EV where I don't have to wait for the Green Act to pass.

I'm almost in a similar position, waiting for the Green Act and watching the price go up is frustrating. But like you knowing soon there will be more competition which I hope will bring the price back down. Fortunately I have time on my side but still hard fighting the instant urge to just order one. Maybe someone else will put out a new EV where I don't have to wait for the Green Act to pass.
Put down the $100, worse case you lose $100 instead of thousands. Your SA can put the reservation on hold months out and then you get price protection. If the price goes up you are locked in and if it goes down you get the new price.

Reactions: orion2001
Nothing like an auto maker raising the price to wipe out the incentive when it arrives. That would mean anyone waiting for a rebate would be waiting for no reason. How does a rebate help the consumer if it's washed out? Wait, it helps Tesla of course as they are so cash poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelixSpiral
Nothing like an auto maker raising the price to wipe out the incentive when it arrives. That would mean anyone waiting for a rebate would be waiting for no reason. How does a rebate help the consumer if it's washed out? Wait, it helps Tesla of course as they are so cash poor.
If you have put the order in the lowest price is locked, so it doesn't matter if the price goes up $20,000 in the next couple months.