Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR Refresh front dash rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR refresh 6 seater and for two months or so, I’ve been hearing a rattle that sounds like it’s coming from inside the dash behind the infotainment screen or from the windshield area, when I drive over a bumpy road surface. It sounds like a piece of metal rattling, it's pretty easy to reproduce when going on bumpy roads, but it seems more prominent when I first start driving after the car has been parked for a while. I had my car serviced for this, and I reproduced the noise with a Tesla employee on a test drive, but when I picked up the car they claimed they couldn't reproduce it. Has anyone had the same issue and located the source?

One source of a rattle I found is underneath the charging pad for the phones, there is a connector, that if it’s not secured, will create a pretty good rattle. If they’ve serviced or if the pad has been lifted up, one of the connection wires needs to be secured with some Velcro tape that is in that location. They replaced my pad, and forgot to secure the wire.

I think it could be from loose wires behind this panel, but I tried to pry it off and it was pretty tight. I'm not sure if this is how you access the wires underneath the charging pad? Does anyone know how to remove this panel, do I just pry it off? Now that I think about it, the last time I picked up my car from service this panel was left half open, I noticed it while driving and just pushed it back in.

Attachments

• IMG_6036.jpg
    IMG_6036.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 259
I found the source: It is the plastic casing around the structure holding the rotating screen. To solve it I put a large rubber band around it and the rattle has stopped. You can test it out on your car by pressing up on the bottom of the screen mount. When I do, the rattle stops.

I've got a nasty raspy rattle somewhere in the center dash area. It drives me batty not being able to isolate it.

Bout tempted to have the other half drive all over all sorts of road surfaces while I have my head inches from the dash trying to isolate it.

I thought it was the swivel shroud but I don't think mushing it around helped. I'll check out the charging pad next.