Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD Battery Rebalance Success!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has had its ups and downs:
upload_2019-9-25_11-12-0.png

• Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1
Funny thing: here’s my graph - note the dip around 12k miles and the recovery. But I did absolutely nothing to “fix”it. No deeper than usual discharge, no higher than usual charge limit.
View attachment 454379
Here’s mine. I had a similar dip and recovery but didn’t do any balancing procedures. I think this might be a product of a BMS software bug.

View attachment 457063
Can you tell us what your charging regimen is, since you both have no deg and both state not having done anything rebalancing, etc.

Can you tell us what your charging regimen is, since you both have no deg and both state not having done anything rebalancing, etc.

I generally charge to 75% and avoid going below 20% but charge to 90 or 100 when I need the range. I never let the car sit at extreme charge levels (high or low) for any period of time.

When I need range I have gone as low as 3% but my daily needs are about 50 miles so I try to be gentle on the battery.

Edit: I only supercharge on road trips.

Reactions: KenC
Sure. Charge limit is set to 82-84% on weekdays and 90% on weekends (that's when I do most of my driving). Typically charge at home from a 30 amp outlet and the car is almost always plugged in when I'm not driving. Charge to 95-99% 1-2 times a month and make sure to drive right after I stop charging if I go above 90%. Supercharge 10 times a month or so, usually to 80-85%. So, in other words, nothing unusual.

Thanks for both of your answers. Mtndrew's charging seems very conservative, charging to 75%; while ilyak's is usually conservative, 82-84%, but a little more aggressive use of supercharging. The only commonality is both keep their normal charge limit near 80%, between 75% and 84%, as opposed to charging up to 90%.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Thanks for both of your answers. Mtndrew's charging seems very conservative, charging to 75%; while ilyak's is usually conservative, 82-84%, but a little more aggressive use of supercharging. The only commonality is both keep their normal charge limit near 80%, between 75% and 84%, as opposed to charging up to 90%.
I used to charge to 75-80% regularly. And then of course it was suggested that I should be charging to 90%. I did that for about three months, and of course there has been no benefit.

I think that the idea of the slowly permeating call to set the mark at 90% is not that there will be any benefit per se, but rather that it doesn't do any actual harm.
I believe that the 90% thing originated from Musk in a tweet about unbalanced packs showing reduced range.

If I start off by telling people that I charge to 90% all the time, they tell me that perhaps my problem is that I'm charging too high. If I start by telling them that I charge to 80%, I'm likely to hear that perhaps my problem is that I'm not charging high enough.

Or that I should go to 100% and 10% more often. Or that I should do it less often... you get the picture.

• Informative
Reactions: xasroma and KenC