Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD Battery Rebalance Success!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR RWD Model 3 with 18Kmi. experienced a sudden range loss from 310 miles to 293 miles over about a week starting 7/29/19.

I did three deep discharges down below 20% and supercharged to 100%.
When the charge was finished, I allowed the "Calculating" to complete before disconnecting.
I followed that with several discharges below 40% and charged to 90% overnight at home.
Within three weeks I had recovered my lost range.

I've included Teslafi reports and highlighted the loss/recovery period and also highlighted the firmware updates.
There doesn't seem to be an immediate software correlation to the loss.
The recovery could be due to my procedure or my be related to the 2019.28.2 firmware release, or both.

I don't know if there is any benefit to doing this with the superchargers.
I did it for the convenience of being able to drive the car upon reaching the 100% limit and not letting it sit, as I would in an overnight charge.

Has anyone else had or not had similar results to battery balancing?
FusionCharts.jpg
Tesla Battery Rebalance Report.jpg

I thought after the 5% boost months ago, 100% SOC for LR RWD was closer to a range of 325?

I had an odd loss of range as well and just posted on another thread with the following info:

07/2018 - Delivery M3 LR RWD
12/2018 - 310 @ 100% SOC
05/2019 - 304 @ 100% SOC

I'll try what you did and use the home charging.

Ideally you need to find a Supercharger in a State where charging by the kWh is supported, not where it charges by the minute. :)

I did this once in GA and saw it recalculate up to to 306 miles until I ran out of patience waiting for it to finish, plus we are in a charge-by-the-minute area. We were down to adding a mile every couple of minutes, so those were starting to get expensive miles.
And yes, the Supercharger was being lightly used at the time, so I wasn't blocking anyone, or slowing anyone down.

Also, never saw any benefit from the supposed 325 change.

Wow that's way better than my P3D. Going to the SC next Wednesday to see if they can reset my calculated capacity.

Best advice seems to be to go to a lightly used Supercharger with plenty of time and less than 80% charge. Set your charge level to 100% and just sit in the car at 100% and let it continue to charge and rebalance, and see the miles add in, albeit very, very slowly. Be prepared to sit there at 100% for 10 to 20 mins. I think you have to sit there and watch it.

I thought after the 5% boost months ago, 100% SOC for LR RWD was closer to a range of 325?

I had an odd loss of range as well and just posted on another thread with the following info:

07/2018 - Delivery M3 LR RWD
12/2018 - 310 @ 100% SOC
05/2019 - 304 @ 100% SOC

I'll try what you did and use the home charging.

I never noticed the dramatic range boost although
Best advice seems to be to go to a lightly used Supercharger with plenty of time and less than 80% charge. Set your charge level to 100% and just sit in the car at 100% and let it continue to charge and rebalance, and see the miles add in, albeit very, very slowly. Be prepared to sit there at 100% for 10 to 20 mins. I think you have to sit there and watch it.

What I’ve read is that rebalancing occurs at at low AND high states of charge.

In my example I repeatedly discharged below 20% before charging to 100% and got positive results.

Uh, going all the way down to 20% is not a deep discharge. Not even close. Get down to less than 5 miles remaining, as I have a few times, then you can talk about deep discharging.

From what I’ve read, it’s not necessary to go down to less than 5 miles left to accomplish low end battery rebalancing, less than 20% should suffice.

In fact, if you do run your battery down that low, you do not want to leave it at that level for long before recharging because that can damage the batteries.

Same goes for charging to 100%. You don’t want it to sit at that high SOC. Drive it down to 90-95% as soon as the “calculating” (rebalancing) has completed.

The table above seems to indicate that the 2019.28.3.1 firmware update may have caused the return to "normal" range readings. Your charging "calibration" may not have been the cause.

If the apparent recovery is a software correction and not procedural, I would credit 2019.28.2 which preceded the reversal of downward trend.

You could certainly be right that predicted range could be more a function of firmware than charging procedures.

Reactions: go2realize
Here’s mine. I had a similar dip and recovery but didn’t do any balancing procedures. I think this might be a product of a BMS software bug.

View attachment 457063
I’m amazed at some of these essentially horizontal graphs some people are sharing as mine continues to fall:
model3-health-2019-09.jpg

I intend to let the state of charge fall to below 20% over the coming days to see if I can get a reset on this calculation.