Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR vs Plaid differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a definitive list of the differences between the Long Range and Plaid Model X? Here's what I know:
  • Dual-motor vs Tri-motor
    • 670 vs 1020 peak hp
    • 3.8 vs 2.5 s 0-60
    • 155 vs 163 mph top speed
    • 348 vs 333 miles of range (20"/6-seat direct comparison)
    • 5,185 vs 5,390 lbs
  • Walnut vs carbon fiber trim
  • Plaid has seat piping and badge
Aside from these changes are there any other differences? Suspension, brakes, steering, tires, etc? I don't see anything claimed on the Tesla website.

Tire wise, my Plaid with 22's came with Continental SportContact 6's, which are extreme performance summer tires. LR's with 22's appear to be coming with Pirelli All Seasons. I'm told the 20" Plaids are also coming with summer tires as well.

Reactions: astonius
I would think if there were differences Tesla would be eager to publicize them, right? They do for the 3/Y. Is it safe to assume the suspension, steering, braking, and handling characteristics are identical between LR and Plaid models?
Yes. Also, remember plaid times are with rollout, as with 3/YP. Summer tires are main difference. Downgrade beyond subjective appearance imo.

So the X LR 3.8s 0-60 is without rollout? Is that why some are reporting even better times?

Not sure I follow that last part. Are you saying summer tires are a downgrade?

Who's reporting better times on the LR? I know the Plaid is typically in the 2.3 range with the 1 foot subtracted and 2.5 without so Plaid is for sure doing better than claimed since the claim is 2.5 with the 1 foot subtracted.

Supplemental list of known differences
  • Perforated bolsters on Plaid seats (in addition to piping)
  • Summer performance tires on Plaid
  • Torque vectoring on Plaid
Tires and vectoring would impact handling, though probably not as much as suspension differences. Surprised there are no known differences with brakes. Either the LR brakes are that good, or the Plaid brakes are that bad :)

Reactions: preilly44
Supplemental list of known differences
  • Perforated bolsters on Plaid seats (in addition to piping)
  • Summer performance tires on Plaid
  • Torque vectoring on Plaid
Tires and vectoring would impact handling, though probably not as much as suspension differences. Surprised there are no known differences with brakes. Either the LR brakes are that good, or the Plaid brakes are that bad :)
That bad for both.

Less for the X, but there are some people that would like to do track days in their MS. There is a thread in the MS forum about how terrible the brakes are. I just want a family hauler that can embarrass anything else on the road at a 0-45 stoplight grand prix. The brakes are plenty for that.

Less for the X, but there are some people that would like to do track days in their MS. There is a thread in the MS forum about how terrible the brakes are. I just want a family hauler that can embarrass anything else on the road at a 0-45 stoplight grand prix. The brakes are plenty for that.
Yep, that's exactly my point.
Tesla doesn't need to make brakes to fit some of those people

Who's reporting better times on the LR? I know the Plaid is typically in the 2.3 range with the 1 foot subtracted and 2.5 without so Plaid is for sure doing better than claimed since the claim is 2.5 with the 1 foot subtracted.

I have also seen people posting their MXP is getting 0-60 in 2.8 sec range which is more real world without rollout subtracted. Without launch mode I have seen 0-60 in 3.0sec. This to me is most realistic. Unless you are at a drag strip, no one has time to set up launch mode at a light.

MX Plaid is 2.5 sec with rollout subtracted.
MX LR is 3.8 sec with rollout. If you subtract rollout then it will be 3.5sec.

The real world difference 0-60mph between the two is 1 sec. Don't get me wrong, that is still a lot but not as big as Tesla is trying to make it seam.
Also the LR is torque limited to 30mph. Not sure if they are doing that to keep the gap between the two bigger.