Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR vs Plaid differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire wise, my Plaid with 22's came with Continental SportContact 6's, which are extreme performance summer tires. LR's with 22's appear to be coming with Pirelli All Seasons. I'm told the 20" Plaids are also coming with summer tires as well.
Just wondering where you got the info on the 20" Plaids coming with summer tires? I am getting close to ordering a Plaid X with 20's since I specifically want all seasons (per the configurator).

I was lucky enough to get the All Seasons in the 22” upgraded wheels on the LR. They look nice!
I would prefer the 22's, but the wife wants the ride to be more comfortable. She thinks the 21's on my Plaid S are too firm. We also want all seasons for the handful of days when the NC temps get too low for summer tires and since we need to make road trips up north a couple of times a year.

I would prefer the 22's, but the wife wants the ride to be more comfortable. She thinks the 21's on my Plaid S are too firm. We also want all seasons for the handful of days when the NC temps get too low for summer tires and since we need to make road trips up north a couple of times a year.
I think with the latest air suspension on the softest setting the 22s ride well enough but yeah if you have a bunch of potholes then the 20s would be better.

My MXLR came with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season 285/35 R22 (rear) and 265/35 R22 (front).

If you have the Plaid S, the MXLR would be perfect for your wife. Trust me it’s still very fast. As fast as Lamborghini Uris.

I think with the latest air suspension on the softest setting the 22s ride well enough but yeah if you have a bunch of potholes then the 20s would be better.

My MXLR came with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season 285/35 R22 (rear) and 265/35 R22 (front).

If you have the Plaid S, the MXLR would be perfect for your wife. Trust me it’s still very fast. As fast as Lamborghini Uris.
We drove a LR on Friday and agree it's fast. She has a M3P so she wanted something as fast, but I think it's close enough. Part of why I am leaning toward the MXP is that she also wants the 6-seat config and when you add that to the LR, the price difference to the Plaid is not that big. If she decides she could live the 5-seater, I would probably go with a LR.

We drove a LR on Friday and agree it's fast. She has a M3P so she wanted something as fast, but I think it's close enough. Part of why I am leaning toward the MXP is that she also wants the 6-seat config and when you add that to the LR, the price difference to the Plaid is not that big. If she decides she could live the 5-seater, I would probably go with a LR.
Above 30mph, the MXLR will definitely beat the M3P. 1/4 mile times the MXLR is low 11s@123mph. Compare that with the M3P high 11s@115mph.

Yes I agree that when you choose 6 seat it comes down to only a few thousand more for the Plaid. Why not?

Just know the 6 seat does not fold flat. The 5/7 seat do. I needed fold flat so had to buy the LR.

Reactions: CTDW
Above 30mph, the MXLR will definitely beat the M3P. 1/4 mile times the MXLR is low 11s@123mph. Compare that with the M3P high 11s@115mph.

Yes I agree that when you choose 6 seat it comes down to only a few thousand more for the Plaid. Why not?

Just know the 6 seat does not fold flat. The 5/7 seat do. I needed fold flat so had to buy the LR.
You mean after all these years, the middle seats still do not fold flat???

I have also seen people posting their MXP is getting 0-60 in 2.8 sec range which is more real world without rollout subtracted. Without launch mode I have seen 0-60 in 3.0sec. This to me is most realistic. Unless you are at a drag strip, no one has time to set up launch mode at a light.

MX Plaid is 2.5 sec with rollout subtracted.
MX LR is 3.8 sec with rollout. If you subtract rollout then it will be 3.5sec.

The real world difference 0-60mph between the two is 1 sec. Don't get me wrong, that is still a lot but not as big as Tesla is trying to make it seam.
Also the LR is torque limited to 30mph. Not sure if they are doing that to keep the gap between the two bigger.

You're talking something else other than an MXP or an MXP that's at less than 20%. Even the draggy's at 30% are still getting in the 2.7 range. There are countless youtube videos showing 2.5 without subtracting the 1 ft and 2.3 with the 1 foot.

I do launch mode from lights all the time. There's no setup except the time to drop into cheetah and hold it there until the light turns green which is about 8 seconds.

Just wondering where you got the info on the 20" Plaids coming with summer tires? I am getting close to ordering a Plaid X with 20's since I specifically want all seasons (per the configurator).

Tesla no longer offers the Plaid with summer only tires. You will get all seasons and your top speed will be software limited to 149 mph instead of 155 mph. I wish I'd gotten all seasons. I don't need to go faster than 149 mph ;)

You mean after all these years, the middle seats still do not fold flat???

Not in the six seater. It sucks. I originally ordered the 5 seater and they "upgraded" me for free to the six seater acting like I was getting a great deal. I told them I'd have paid extra justo have 5 seater since the 6 seater middle row doesn't fold down and destroy UTILITY.....on the sport UTILITY.

You're talking something else other than an MXP or an MXP that's at less than 20%. Even the draggy's at 30% are still getting in the 2.7 range. There are countless youtube videos showing 2.5 without subtracting the 1 ft and 2.3 with the 1 foot.

I do launch mode from lights all the time. There's no setup except the time to drop into cheetah and hold it there until the light turns green which is about 8 seconds.Point I am making is whatever is advertised for the Plaid is
I’ve seen MXS do 2.3 in real world testing. Not sure how a much heavier X would be getting the exact same numbers.

Regardless my main point was that the numbers are even more skewed for the LR. The real world difference between the Plaid and LR is 1 sec 0-60.

I’ve seen MXS do 2.3 in real world testing. Not sure how a much heavier X would be getting the exact same numbers.

Regardless my main point was that the numbers are even more skewed for the LR. The real world difference between the Plaid and LR is 1 sec 0-60.

Just go to youtube and search on model x plaid 0-60. You can spend an hour watching them all and they're all amazing consistent.

Just like with your statement on the MXP, I don't know where you're getting your S Plaid numbers from either. There are multiple MSP videos with vbox's and dragy's showing 0-60 in the 1.99 to 2.1 range.

If you want apples to apples, this reviewer tested both the MSP and MXP on the same stretch using the same Dragy. He got 1.99 seconds on his MSP and 2.3 seconds on the MXP. Both quoted times are subtracting the 1 foot rollout. Without that, it's about 2.2 for the MSP and 2.5 for the MXP so there's still a real world difference of 0.3 seconds.

If you guys care abont how fast your car feels and how fast it accelerates you need to stop looking at 0-60times. The 1/4 miles trap speed is the best measure for how fast a car is. The s plaid is about 152 mph and the x plaid is about 146mph. The base refreshed model s is now trapping 129-130mph and the base model x is about 124mph. A model 3 performance is maybe a 115mph car on a good day. Just for reference a 911 turbo s which is one of the fastest ice cars does about 130mph.

If you guys care abont how fast your car feels and how fast it accelerates you need to stop looking at 0-60times. The 1/4 miles trap speed is the best measure for how fast a car is. The s plaid is about 152 mph and the x plaid is about 146mph. The base refreshed model s is now trapping 129-130mph and the base model x is about 124mph. A model 3 performance is maybe a 115mph car on a good day. Just for reference a 911 turbo s which is one of the fastest ice cars does about 130mph.

...only if you're going to a track. For daily driving, it's 0-<speed limit> so 0-60 or 0-70. i..e. punching it from the metering light to get onto the freeway. The other most important performance factor for daily driving is passing acceleration from say 60 or 70 to 90.

If I’m in the market for a 6 seater, is it worth the $2k cost for a third motor for a Plaid? I would lose 15 miles of range though vs a non-Plaid.
I wouldn’t let the money be the deciding factor. You are already paying $120k. Another $2k extra is like 1% of cost, it’s a rounding error at that point.

Here are the points to consider:

1. Do you want fold flat seats? If so you will need to choose 5 or 7 seater option and that is only on Long Range.

2. Do you want the 22” wheels? If so the Long Range comes with all seasons. The Plaid comes with summer tires. If you live somewhere with colder weather all seasons is needed. With the Plaid you would have to spend extra $ to buy another set of tires and get them mounted. (I believe the 20” is all seasons for both versions)

3. Do you like wood accents on the inside? Long range comes with wood. Plaid comes with carbon fiber. I personally love the wood.

4. How important is it having the fastest suv in the world? Plaid will give that to you. BUT the Long Range (670hp!) is also very fast and is probably still top 5 in the fastest suv in the world. It’s more than plenty for most.

5. Extra range on long range is nice but it’s not significant. I don’t know if real world range difference is more significant.

Some things besides money to consider…

If I’m in the market for a 6 seater, is it worth the $2k cost for a third motor for a Plaid? I would lose 15 miles of range though vs a non-Plaid.
If you're already mentally there on a 6 seat MXLR, I think it actually makes sense to take Plaid at 2K more. My prediction is Plaid prices will revert/diverge over time and that option is very likely to be worth more later. Plaid is a 20K option on MS and a 10K option on MX when it used to be much larger gap. Plaid is on sale!