Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR with Boost vs. P - “Feel” Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleM3

Jul 21, 2020
PA
I’m new here so I’m hoping this is the right spot, sorry if not!

I’m in the market for a M3. My dealer only had a P to test drive and it, of course, blew my mind in terms of acceleration. However, I am budgeted better for the LR. I understand it’s a slower 0-60 and with the 2K acceleration boost I can make it faster, but I haven’t been able to test drive the LR because my dealer hasn’t gotten it.

Driving the P has certainly made me want to hold off and budget for that. However, it’s mainly for the acceleration aspect. The spoiler does nothing for me and I intended on getting my calipers powdercoated. The red paint spares me that cost, but that’s minimal.

So, my main question is when I put the P in “Chill” Mode and stomp the gas, does the LR with boost (or maybe even without it?) accelerate faster? I’m not hopeful that they’ll get a LR I can test drive soon so I’ve tried to get as close as I can to that feel and Chill mode is the only remote option I’ve got to this point.

Bonus question: anyone know the size difference between the P Brembos vs. standard?

Thanks guys!

Welcome, the answers to your questions (including bonus question) and then some are scattered across this forum and the internet, search around a bit.

At the end of the day the difference between a LR AWD vs LR AWD+ vs P-/P/P+ is a personal preference, experience.

For some, the Ps are the only way to go, and feel significantly faster (at least down low) vs AWD/AWD+. For others the gap between the Ps and a vanilla AWD is a mute point, where either car is plenty fast and torque happy or even too fast for their needs.

Next, the AWD+ which closes the gap between the two by ~50%, sending some of those wanting more out of the AWD into 'that'll do pig, that'll do' territory. While others still crave the Ps.

Finally you have those who believe that the Ps are too much for them or offer something over AWD/AWD+ that they will rarely ever use or care for.

Don't think of chill mode like that. Its not a peak output cropping or equalizing toggle. A bit closer to a DBW throttle transfer function controller.

Compare both cars like this: same or similar SoC, same mode (chill vs chill, sport vs sport), same wheel size (ideally both on stock 18s).

I’m in the market for a M3. My dealer only had a P to test drive and it, of course, blew my mind in terms of acceleration. However, I am budgeted better for the LR. I understand it’s a slower 0-60 and with the 2K acceleration boost I can make it faster, but I haven’t been able to test drive the LR because my dealer hasn’t gotten it.

Driving the P has certainly made me want to hold off and budget for that. However, it’s mainly for the acceleration aspect. The spoiler does nothing for me and I intended on getting my calipers powdercoated. The red paint spares me that cost, but that’s minimal.

So, my main question is when I put the P in “Chill” Mode and stomp the gas, does the LR with boost (or maybe even without it?) accelerate faster? I’m not hopeful that they’ll get a LR I can test drive soon so I’ve tried to get as close as I can to that feel and Chill mode is the only remote option I’ve got to this point.

Bonus question: anyone know the size difference between the P Brembos vs. standard?

Thanks guys!
An LR AWD is much faster then a P in chill mode. The LR with boost feels similar to a P. Sounds like you like the acceleration, So my 0.02 is go P-, 20” wheels are stupid.

P-, or "stealth", sounds like the way to go for you. 20" wheels and rubber-band tires on a very heavy sedan are a horrible combination, and if you prefer the more muted look, it's nice from that aspect as well. If you like max g-force, you'll want a P+/- for sure.

P on chill is slow, so no, it's nothing like the very quick LR w/ boost. Most of the difference between the P+/- and LR AWD with boost is in the 0-60. After 50mph or so the acceleration is pretty much identical. There is about .4-.5 difference in the 0-60 and and the same difference in the quarter mile (11.4x-11.5x vs 11.8x-11.9x). Most of us that come from sports cars and muscle cars insist on the P+/-.

An LR AWD is much faster then a P in chill mode. The LR with boost feels similar to a P. Sounds like you like the acceleration, So my 0.02 is go P-, 20” wheels are stupid.

Well, it just naturally felt great coming from our current vehicle. And because I can’t compare it to a LR, I can’t get my mind off the P. I wish my damn dealer would just get a LR in so I could judge for myself.

Also, I intend on getting 19”s.

P-, or "stealth", sounds like the way to go for you. 20" wheels and rubber-band tires on a very heavy sedan are a horrible combination, and if you prefer the more muted look, it's nice from that aspect as well. If you like max g-force, you'll want a P+/- for sure.

P on chill is slow, so no, it's nothing like the very quick LR w/ boost. Most of the difference between the P+/- and LR AWD with boost is in the 0-60. After 50mph or so the acceleration is pretty much identical. There is about .4-.5 difference in the 0-60 and and the same difference in the quarter mile (11.4x-11.5x vs 11.8x-11.9x). Most of us that come from sports cars and muscle cars insist on the P+/-.

Can you break down the +/-?

I always assumed LR+ meant Long Range + Boost. I haven’t seen the signs used on the Performance.

Wondering the same thing

I agree with your assessment but Tesla now just charges the same price for a stealth.:(
LR AWD is fast, very fast. I that is what we have. Pre- boost still beat pretty much every car out there stop light to stoplight. Spring 2019 Took it to the 1/4 mile and beat: Mustangs, Corvette, RS Audi’s , chargers, challengers, a 996 911 turbo. Upgraded to the boots the day it became available, it’s quicker with the boots but was still very quick prior to the upgrade.

LR AWD is fast, very fast. I that is what we have. Pre- boost still beat pretty much every car out there stop light to stoplight. Spring 2019 Took it to the 1/4 mile and beat: Mustangs, Corvette, RS Audi’s , chargers, challengers, a 996 911 turbo. Upgraded to the boots the day it became available, it’s quicker with the boots but was still very quick prior to the upgrade.

I totally hear ya. I don't care about having the fastest Tesla but what I'd like to avoid is a situation where I'm beat by an ICE car. Just looks bad for everyone XD. The P seems to beat the standard deviation of most higher end ICE sports cars while the LR seems to be in the middle of it even with +.

I can hardly reach the youtube acceleration in my P-. 3.5s is the best I can do with dragy as it takes time for the pedal to hit the floor. In average 4s-ish is what I can handle and giving me a big smile already.

I honestly believe Tesla will keep the LR boosted acceleration figure away from P territory. Go for P+/- if the difference is minimal to you

Can you break down the +/-?

I always assumed LR+ meant Long Range + Boost. I haven’t seen the signs used on the Performance.

- indicates “stealth”. A P without the performance pack upgrades such as 20inch wheels, larger breaks, spoiler and lowered suspension.

+ I assume indicates with the performance package and incremental software upgrades. Correct me if I’m wrong

Reactions: BetterSlowDown
- indicates “stealth”. A P without the performance pack upgrades such as 20inch wheels, larger breaks, spoiler and lowered suspension.

+ I assume indicates with the performance package and incremental software upgrades. Correct me if I’m wrong

So basically an early M3 that got the 4K~ performance upgrade they used to offer? The used market is so small (at least close to me) that makes that not even an option.

I suggest test driving all variants of the model 3 if you can. Outside of the 0-60 omg rollercoaster feeling of the P, you will be surprised how fast all variants feel. I was sold on the P until I test drove the SR+ and released it was 95% the same car for nearly $20K less (after taxes).

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

Thanks guys!

Chill mode is like driving a 130hp corolla.The LR AWD is much faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I owned a LR AWD for about a year and traded up to a P+. Couldn't be happier with the decision. And while I owned the LR I bought the boost and tried it for a weekend before returning it. It was faster, but the P is on another level.

You've driven a P, now you're exposed/ruined :) If you like speed, I'd recommend ponying up and getting one. Regret on a $50k purchase is not worth it.

20” wheels are stupid.

20" wheels and rubber-band tires on a very heavy sedan are a horrible combination

^^^ This is 100% subjective. I have random strangers stop and complement my P3D. That never happened with my AWD. Fine to not like them, but calling them stupid is like my 10 year old saying girls are icky.

I owned a LR AWD for about a year and traded up to a P+. Couldn't be happier with the decision. And while I owned the LR I bought the boost and tried it for a weekend before returning it. It was faster, but the P is on another level.

You've driven a P, now you're exposed/ruined :) If you like speed, I'd recommend ponying up and getting one. Regret on a $50k purchase is not worth it.

^^^ This is 100% subjective. I have random strangers stop and complement my P3D. That never happened with my AWD. Fine to not like them, but calling them stupid is like my 10 year old saying girls are icky.
Adding larger wheels to a performance car that slows acceleration, increases stop distance, deteriorates ride,... is stupid.