Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR Y Performance Boost Range Impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide between the Performance MY & the LR with Acceleration Upgrade . I like the idea of being able to have better acceleration when needed & also have longer range than the performance MY. By just by getting this upgrade will it reduce my range if I drive normal & don‘t punch it ? If getting the Acceleration upgrade will lower my range to match the Performance model I would just get the Performance model & have better acceleration & same range . Thanks

The acceleration boost does not affect your efficiency or your range in the Long Range Model Y except of course when you feel the need for speed and punch it. On the highway, with Autopilot or FSD there would be no difference.

The Performance Model Y EPA estimated range is lower than the Long Range Model primarily because of the 21" Uberturbine wheels. The Uberturbine wheels weigh between 7.5 and 8.5 pounds more per wheel than 19" wheels or 20" wheels on the Long Range Model Y.

In the end just get the one you really want. The range difference is not going to be a factor when taking trips since there are Supercharger locations every 120 or so miles on the interstate highways. The Tesla Navigation system aided by tools such as A Better Route Planner will advise when to stop and charge making the most efficient use of your time.

Trying to decide between the Performance MY & the LR with Acceleration Upgrade . I like the idea of being able to have better acceleration when needed & also have longer range than the performance MY. By just by getting this upgrade will it reduce my range if I drive normal & don‘t punch it ? If getting the Acceleration upgrade will lower my range to match the Performance model I would just get the Performance model & have better acceleration & same range . Thanks
Having Acceleration Boost will not affect your range, by itself. Range is affected by your driving. The Performance model has less range because the 21 inch wheels come with high performance tires, i.e. “stickier” tires with more rolling resistance, thus consuming more energy per mile.

Probably like you, I was disappointed when Tesla discontinued the “Stealth” performance variant. Stealth brought in the higher performance setup, but with standard wheels and brakes, no lowered suspension

The majority of the additional power gains comes from unlocking it from the front motor. The car is 100% RWD until you lose traction and/or get more aggressive on the throttle. Since the front motor isn't really active while you're driving efficiently, range is the same if you drive efficient.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung