Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTB 2017 MX 90D - What to look for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

Brand new member. This is my first post :)

I'm considering a pre-owned 2017 MX 90D on the Tesla website. What should I be looking for? I'm a car guy and very knowledgeable about gas automobiles, but I'm brand new to Tesla so everything is a mystery to me. Here are some things I've learned by doing research (asking the Tesla SA, reading posts here, watching YouTube videos):

• I think my car has MCU1. I know I can upgrade it. What I don't understand is the hardware upgrade. My build date is Feb 17 so I think my car is going to come with AP1. Does the MCU upgrade include upgrading to AP3? If not, how much more is it? Can it even be done?
  • This car comes with full self-driving capabilities. Is smart summon included in it? (where I can call the car from a parking spot to where I am). It rains a lot where I live and this feature would be a life-changer for me.
  • Does MCU2 support Pandora streaming?
  • I know Tesla doesn't support Apple CarPlay. Is there a workaround? (I don't want to jailbreak the car)
  • How is voice text messaging on Tesla with iPhone? On my current car (Range Rover Sport) it's useless. The system will read you incoming texts, but that's it. You can't respond with voice commands and iPhone doesn't take the system's preset responses.
  • How are voice commands in general? Is the MCU2 system responsive? (I'll be upgrading to MCU2 for sure)
  • The car has 50,000 miles on it. It still has six months of OEM warranty left and then the one year used car warranty kicks in. Should I be concerned with the mileage?
  • I read about the dreaded shudder and I'm going to check for it before I take final delivery.
  • How bad is the base audio system? In the Rover it happens to be atrocious! (like Toyota Corolla atrocious). If you don't have the Meridian system you're in for a rude awakening.
  • Can the base audio system be upgraded to the premium sound? (and around how much)
  • Silly question. The Testa SA said this car doesn't have Presenting Doors and that this is a very rare option. But, every review I've watched on YouTube has a feature where you either open the driver's door from the keyfob or touch the door handle and the door opens. Is that Presenting Doors or is that standard on the MX and Presenting Doors is something different?
What else should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jose

Hi everyone!

Brand new member. This is my first post :)

I'm considering a pre-owned 2017 MX 90D on the Tesla website. What should I be looking for? I'm a car guy and very knowledgeable about gas automobiles, but I'm brand new to Tesla so everything is a mystery to me. Here are some things I've learned by doing research (asking the Tesla SA, reading posts here, watching YouTube videos):

• I think my car has MCU1. I know I can upgrade it. What I don't understand is the hardware upgrade. My build date is Feb 17 so I think my car is going to come with AP1. Does the MCU upgrade include upgrading to AP3? If not, how much more is it? Can it even be done?
  • This car comes with full self-driving capabilities. Is smart summon included in it? (where I can call the car from a parking spot to where I am). It rains a lot where I live and this feature would be a life-changer for me.
  • I know Tesla doesn't support Apple CarPlay. Is there a workaround? (I don't want to jailbreak the car)
  • How is voice text messaging on Tesla with iPhone? On my current car (Range Rover Sport) it's useless. The system will read you incoming texts, but that's it. You can't respond with voice commands and iPhone doesn't take the system's preset responses.
  • How are voice commands in general? Is the MCU2 system responsive? (I'll be upgrading to MCU2 for sure)
  • The car has 50,000 miles on it. It still has six months of OEM warranty left and then the one year used car warranty kicks in. Should I be concerned with the mileage?
  • I read about the dreaded shudder and I'm going to check for it before I take final delivery.
  • How bad is the base audio system? In the Rover it happens to be atrocious! (like Toyota Corolla atrocious). If you don't have the Meridian system you're in for a rude awakening.
  • Can the base audio system be upgraded to the premium sound? (and around how much)
  • Silly question. The Testa SA said this car doesn't have Presenting Doors and that this is a very rare option. But, every review I've watched on YouTube has a feature where you either open the driver's door from the keyfob or touch the door handle and the door opens. Is that Presenting Doors or is that standard on the MX and Presenting Doors is something different?
What else should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jose
While not an expert, I’ll try to answer a few and let others fill in the gaps. Unless the previous owner has upgraded, you definitely have MCU1, but not to worry as Tesla will be replacing those (free) soon. MCU2 is much more responsive, less buggy, and generally all around better. Your car, with a Feb 2017 build, will have AP2; meaning you’ll be able to take full advantage of Full Self Driving, should you choose to do so. I’ve found voice commands to be very good with MCU2. Much better than the Lexus I had before or the Subaru my wife has. Voice texting is accurate, too. It rarely misses a word I speak and self corrects most of the time if it misunderstands me. I wouldn’t worry about the shudder if you still have warranty remaining. I had mine fixed immediately after purchasing my 2017 last May. Self Presenting Doors were part of the Premium Upgrades Package back in 2017. If you don’t have that, your doors won’t self present. As for CarPlay, I’m afraid there’s no workaround for that. I’ve never had it (other than rental cars) so I don’t miss anything. But, personally, I find the navigation system to be superior to anything else out there and with a Spotify subscription, I’ve got all the music I need. I’ve got the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package so I can’t speak for the base audio. I doubt it can be added afterwards due to the extra speakers. At 50k on the odometer, and with one year of warranty left, be sure to look out for anything and everything that needs attention before your warranty expires. Tesla service and parts aren’t cheap. Also, do a little research on the 90...the battery is a little less than spectacular and you may want to try and find a 100 instead. I nearly bought a 90, until I read up on it. Oh, and yes; your car will have Smart Summon since you have FSD.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Wow, lots of questions. I can handle a few. I have a Feb 2018 MX that came with MCU1 and HW2.5 but has been upgraded with MCU2 and HW3. I have removed some of the questions that I have no experience with.
Yes, AP3 is included with the upgrade.
It should have summon where you can take it in and out of a garage. I don't think it will do the Smart Summon in a parking lot without the new HW3, however even with that I'd be cautious. I have never used it, and read many posts where it has caused issues, including crashes. I believe this is still very much Beta, as is the Full Self Driving, Auto Pilot, etc.
It does not support Pandora, yet. That is on the "wish list" along with several other streaming. I use iHeart Radio a lot from my phone and play it over Bluetooth to the car and it works pretty well.
I use an android, and the car does a better job than the phone itself.
Yes, highly recommend MCU2 upgrade for speed and advanced features. I have used several voice commands more as test like changing the temperature. So far much better than my Prius.
I have 46,000 miles and no major issues. Most of that is highway miles. I think your battery and motors have more warranty. Brakes are supposed to last 150,000-300,000 miles because of the regen braking. There are a couple of things to be looked at as possible coolant flush and refill. Ride started getting rough, but after a tire change it returned to a nice, smooth ride. When I first got it, on my first road trips up and down the east coast on I-95, I had a hard time keeping it under 90 it was so smooth. Took me a while to be able to keep it under 80.
I am not sure if I had this or not. I tried to replicate it, and may have had a slight case, but had this all changed in December under warranty as a precaution as I knew I had the older components. I do not drive it hard, usually in "Chill" mode.
I do know there are some aftermarket speakers that are much better and have been reviewed here on other threads.
I have the presenting doors, and thought all Model X's do. It was not an option. I did have mine fail. I could press the Keyfob and they would open, but would not automatically open when I approached. They had to replace a sensor, again under warranty.

You didn't ask about range. My MX100D gets at most 250 miles on the highway, and that's when there are a lot of other cars and I can only average 68-70mph. If I can actually maintain 80mph for an extended period the range gets closer to 210-220 miles. I get a lot better when on roads with speed limits of 60, up to 290-300 miles is not uncommon.

While not an expert, I’ll try to answer a few and let others fill in the gaps. Unless the previous owner has upgraded, you definitely have MCU1, but not to worry as Tesla will be replacing those (free) soon.

Really, I hadn't heard this. I paid the $2,500, and now I think it is $1,500, but never heard they were going to do the MCU2 upgrade for free. What about all of us who paid? I know they are replacing the eMMC on the MCU1, but that's not the same.

Really, I hadn't heard this. I paid the $2,500, and now I think it is $1,500, but never heard they were going to do the MCU2 upgrade for free. What about all of us who paid? I know they are replacing the eMMC on the MCU1, but that's not the same.

They are only replacing the chip that fails, not the computer, which you and I both paid for. It is NOT an upgrade, just a fix to keep MCU1 working.

WOW! Thanks for all your replies guys!

• MCU upgrade CHECK!
  • Smart Summon CHECK!
  • Pandora CHECK!
  • Apple CarPlay CHECK!
  • Voice Control CHECK
  • Mileage CHECK!
  • Shudder thingy thing CHECK!
  • Premium audio CHECK!
I guess my only pending question is about the doors. What is the difference between presenting doors vs. regular doors?

Thanks,

Jose

I guess my only pending question is about the doors. What is the difference between presenting doors vs. regular doors?

A little over 3 years ago, I purchased a Dec 2017 X 100D. I debated the package that included "self presenting doors". Tesla's web site at the time sure made it sound like if you didn't get the package, the doors wouldn't do anything interesting at all; they'd just be regular doors. I decided I was fine was that, and did not get the package.

It turns out that the "self-presenting" part, emphasis on the "self", is all you will be missing. When you walk up to the car, the door won't see you (well, the key) coming open by itself. But everything else works - you can open/close it by pressing a button on the fob, by pressing the door handle, or by using the touchscreen. The driver's door also closes when you press the brake.

Oh, we didn't get the Premium audio either. I worried about that, because both of our Model S had premium audio; but the X was for my wife and she didn't care. It turns out the base audio in the X sounded just as good as the Premium in the S (though these S were from 2012 and 2015, so things may be different now). The Premium Audio in my 2018 Model 3 is better than the X base audio; though not a lot. BTW take this with a grain of salt as I am no audiophile; I don't have the ears for it. But I can tell when sound distorts, and I can feel when there's enough bass to make my sternum vibrate. I am happy with the X's base sound system, but it sounds like you are likely more discerning. Take a look at Reus' upgrades. I briefly sat in a car with one, and even I could instantly tell it was far better.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSolie
Thanks @ChadS!

That's the answer I was looking for on the doors!! And thanks for the additional info on the premium audio. I'm not an audiophile but, like you, I love my loud music with plenty of bass and treble. I'm going to look at Reus' upgrades.

I have a test drive scheduled tomorrow morning (I've never driven a Tesla). If everything goes well I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Jose

Reactions: KentuckyX
I bought the same year and model. 2017 90d. I purchased FSD when it was $2k and recently upgraded the Infotainment. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. Had a few minor mobile service visits to fix the charge port LEDs and a loose door seal but otherwise not a single problem.

Mine was a private sale and I had it transported 500 miles so I bought it sight unseen. Previous owner bought it fully loaded (EAP, Subzero pkg, premium sound, self presenting doors, etc.) and added the Evenex light "T" on the trunk lid, performance pedals, cubby drawer, and under 9k miles less than a year old. I put some PPF on it and it looks amazing.

Sure the range is a little degraded but I never get low because there are superchargers along every route I take and I have a HPWC at home and keep it near 90%. Winter knocks a little off the range but again, who cares. It has premium connectivity free and unlimited supercharging to boot.

I say go for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla made several changes to the Premium Upgrade Package (PUP) which included the self presenting doors. So, if you do not have the self presenting doors, you probably do not have the PUP package. I believe it included:
  • Self-presenting front doors -open automatically as you approach
  • HEPA filtration with Bioweapon Defense Mode
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paired with leather seating
  • Alcantara headliner and upper dashboard accents
  • Soft LED ambient interior lighting
  • 3 position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility
  • LED fog lights
  • Quick connection phone dock
It was a $5000 option for the at least the Nov, Dec, Jan builds. At some point they started including some of these upgrades as standard and lowered the PUP pricing. Sub-zero, Tow, and premium sound were separate options. Again at some point later all of these options became standard. With a Feb 2017 build, I would expect all of the items I mentioned were options. None of the PUP options were included on that vehicle since it doesn't include self-presenting doors. I have a Nov 2016 build and tried to follow the every shifting option list.

BTW...I love my self presenting doors. I didn't realize how often I needed the convenience of walking up to the car with my hands full and just getting in without juggling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info. I pulled the trigger this morning! I'm SUPER EXCITED!!!

A couple of additional questions if you guys don't mind :)

I test-drove what I think is a new 2021 demo. The seats were super comfortable! Will the 2017 have the same seats?

I paired my phone before I started the test drive. I was able to use voice commands for navigation and replying to text messages. But I couldn't initiate a text. I tried "send a text to John," "send a message to John," etc. Nothing worked. Are we able to send new text messages or can we only read and reply to them?

I test-drove what I think is a new 2021 demo. The seats were super comfortable! Will the 2017 have the same seats?
The 2017 seats are different and also have an adjustable headrest, which the new ones do not have. I personally find the 2017 seats very comfortable, but there are some who complained that they are not.
I couldn't initiate a text.
I had that problem after a recent software update, but then it got fixed in another OTA update. So yes, you should be able to initiate a text with voice commands.

Thanks @Bigriver !

Interestingly enough, I've read a lot about the redesigned seats not having adjustable headrests. BUT, I was able to lift the headrest on the car I drove! Or so I thought I did... I even remember hearing it click twice and I feeling it move up. I've seen some photos that show the part that moves on the old seats is the front of the headrest. What I think I moved today was the whole headrest.

I just pulled up a 2020 MX for sale online to make sure I'm not going crazy and to me (and God knows I know NOTHING about these cars!) the headrest looks like it will separate from the seat. Look at the second picture taken from behind. Dare I say I see a little bit of chrome peaking out?

Would it be crazy to think that maybe nobody has tried to move the whole thing up?!?

As I said, I know nothing about the MX, so guys please be kind with your replies! LOL!

headrest_01.jpg
headrest_02.jpg

Don't buy a 90D, it's a terrible battery pack. I was in the same boat and after doing research I spent little extra and got the 100D instead. After 50k-60k miles the 90D degradation will be down to the 75D level.

Regarding the seats, if you have the premium seats, i.e. the vegan leather, it is very comfortable. That's the same material used in the model 3/Y. They still look brand new on my 2017 X when I bought it a month ago. The old perforated leather will show more wear and I had the regular cloth seat and was not impressed by it.

First thing you will want to do is upgrade the mcu, which will make the car literally feel like a new one. I got lucky to pay the cheaper $1500 while waiting for my mcu to arrive. With these new pending recall they might or might not replace the mcu with the later more likely.

• Informative
Reactions: KentuckyX
I bought the same year and model. 2017 90d. I purchased FSD when it was $2k and recently upgraded the Infotainment. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. Had a few minor mobile service visits to fix the charge port LEDs and a loose door seal but otherwise not a single problem.

Mine was a private sale and I had it transported 500 miles so I bought it sight unseen. Previous owner bought it fully loaded (EAP, Subzero pkg, premium sound, self presenting doors, etc.) and added the Evenex light "T" on the trunk lid, performance pedals, cubby drawer, and under 9k miles less than a year old. I put some PPF on it and it looks amazing.

Sure the range is a little degraded but I never get low because there are superchargers along every route I take and I have a HPWC at home and keep it near 90%. Winter knocks a little off the range but again, who cares. It has premium connectivity free and unlimited supercharging to boot.

I say go for it.
I Agree!
I RECENTLY bought (according to the VIN) a March 2016 P90D and despite researching, could not find out much about that "particular" car but only about p90d's in general. I bought it at the Porsche dealer so Porsche of course did not know anything. I took delivery on a Friday.

Long story short after what felt like a very long weekend of not having my Tesla app set up (they needed my registration and I had to wait until Monday for them to acknowledge receipt) I logged in and got the best easter egg ever: premium connectivity free and unlimited supercharging! My husband and I did a little happy dance.

Later that week I don't remember now how but I found out it was a founder's edition? Does that make sense for a 2016? I thought FE's were delivered earlier than 2016?

I will say our range is greatly diminished from actual miles driven. Boston winters are very cold. I drive 50 miles and it uses 90 miles"of range. I'm sure its because we're running climate control, plus seats and steering wheel is toasty warm. Even with that, I love the car.
Bringing it to the SC tomorrow because the wipers stopped working (ice?) and only one fob worked when we took delivery even with a new battery (reprogram?) but i'm thrilled with it even with that.

@ntpphong to late! I already did :)

100% agree on the MCU. The second I can access the app I'm ordering the upgrade!

Congrats on your purchase! We moved from Ft Laud to Boston and i'm curious how the mileage varies between the two locations with respect to ambient temperature. I just started a log book this week because I want to see how it changes between summer / winter ( which in florida is the same either way ) but maybe can find out sooner if you do the same. My battery has little wear and tear, as the family who owned it previously owned several more cars each and this only has 16k miles on it after 5 years.