Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE / 3G connected all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've been trying to find a thread about this topic and haven't been able to find one, so here it goes.

I have noticed that most of the time while driving I have no LTE/3G signal whatsoever. then suddenly it connects for a while and disconnects again. This has happened even in major roads such as M25, M4, M3, M40, etc. It doesn't really affect the navigation, I guess just the updates on the traffic...

it is a nuisance if there's no signal when searching for your destination before starting to drive, but once on the road...

My question is: is this supposed to be like this? What happens if you use music streaming services such as Spotify (which I don't)?

It's a bit annoying.

Thanks

My M3LR does its best to hang on to 3G when I drive across the Brecon Beacons. The rest of the time, it's pretty solid on LTE, on a route that is mostly across the Shropshire countryside - rural areas with little infrastructure.

On motorways, you'd expect LTE most if not all of the time.

Mine has been intermittent since purchase last summer, even tho the mobile signal is reliably strong where I live.

Since then it's got worse and in fact it hasn't worked for a few days now.

Dave the Ranger has now diagnosed a faulty card deep in the gubbins of the car and we are waiting for a spare to arrive for replacement.

But it did take three service bookings to diagnose. Typical for an intermittent fault?So my advice is don't be shy to get the investigation started!

In the meantime, and when I remember, I use my mobile phone as a hotspot WiFi. It seems to use very little data...

S