Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE cell with Slash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been getting about once a week the LTE cell service in car with a slash. After the song I have playing or streaming it stops and sometimes I lose navigation. I know or heard that the service is ATT and I have that in my phone which Indint lose service.

The only way to get it back is for me to stop the car out into park, turn it off and then back on. The cell will restart. Tesla needs to have something on the user interface that can reboot the cell service.

Anyone found a work around?

It is more complicated than just “using AT&T” Tesla is using a private network product for the cellular service and VPN arrangement to tunnel all the traffic back through Tesla. There are many other points of failure than just the cellular radio or network failing. I have noticed the failure frequency you described. But I have never had to reboot it to recover. It just comes back in a few minutes. Sometimes it takes longer than other times.

Once last fall, cellular was out nearly an entire weekend. Help desk advised “known problem, we’re working on it.” Since I was on a long trip, I tethered the car to a WiFi hotspot I had on board. That worked fine, except I had to re-tether the car every time I stopped and restarted. The extended downtime incident only happened once that I recall.

It is more complicated than just “using AT&T” Tesla is using a private network product for the cellular service and VPN arrangement to tunnel all the traffic back through Tesla. There are many other points of failure than just the cellular radio or network failing. I have noticed the failure frequency you described. But I have never had to reboot it to recover. It just comes back in a few minutes. Sometimes it takes longer than other times.

Once last fall, cellular was out nearly an entire weekend. Help desk advised “known problem, we’re working on it.” Since I was on a long trip, I tethered the car to a WiFi hotspot I had on board. That worked fine, except I had to re-tether the car every time I stopped and restarted. The extended downtime incident only happened once that I recall.
It does not happen all the time just once a week in the strangest spots, Metro areas. The biggest concern is when it does not come back on its own; others say their service comes back on its own. I have to stop turn off or get out then back in and start again.