Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Hotspot Tethering Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I signed up for a line with t-mobile (2nd phone) just for the international access. Then I discovered the hard way they will give you the slowest speed the local network can provide. In many places I had 2G. Not worth it. Much better to just pick up a local sim.

I've had Harbor Mobile (business reseller of T-Mobile), and it's been soooo cheap, that I really cannot justify switching to Verizon. I tried AT&T and I seriously got worried every day regarding data usage (2GB data instead of Unlimited was just terrible).

@gg, my wife and I recently did exactly the same thing; we bought unlocked iPhone 6+'s and switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. The free tethering has come in handy, and the overseas ease of use is a nice change compared to pricey AT&T. And I have tethered to my my S.

After several years with AT&T - before the smartphone era and through all generations of the iPhone till recently - I purchased the iPhone 6+ outright and switched to T-Mobile.
Although I've loved some aspects of T-Mobile - unlimited text and data overseas (I was able to make use of it heavily in India and Qatar recently), ease of switching service plans, free tethering and the WiFi calling - coverage has indeed been a problem. Both my home and workplace, right in the heart of the Peninsula in the SF Bay Area

I heard about that too but, did get solid 3G in both countries.

I went to Australia a month ago, and every one of my friends both here in USA and Aus were astonished at the unlimited data roaming and texting.

Was roaming on Optus 3G, which isn't amazing, but was more than enough for navigation, Uber, iMessage and other text/messaging apps (Google Hangouts/Whatsapp/FB Messenger).

Most of the places I was visiting had free wifi (otherwise I'd tether my local Nexus 5), so I wasn't hard strapped for data.

Even though the reception sucks sometimes, the Wi-Fi Calling, and other awesome features (such as unlimited everything for $50 per mo) is amazing. I just can't leave T-Mo (through Harbor Mobile - Business Reseller)

Using Wi-Fi Calling was awesome as well, Anytime I was on Wi-Fi it was showing "T-Mobile Wi-Fi"

I still have verizon unlimited data and texting, so there is tremendous value to me to stay with verizon. I have to pay for the hotspot feature, but it costs me an extra $22 or so after a corp discount. This billing cycle has been insane because of travel. I've already used 34 GB and I'm a week in. Kids streaming video in the back seat...

For those who prefer to tether their Model S to their cell phone... using an Android phone. I've had sporadic luck with "auto" tethering apps- especially on the new Nexus.

I have finally found one that works (but its somewhat complicated -drop a note if you need help). The app is called Automate in the play store.

So the bottom line: When you get in your car, when bluetooth connects, the phone automatically turns on hot spot. Conversely, when you get out of your car, hot spot turns off. All without having to do anything.

Just completed the setup and it appears to be working.

(sorry - I didn't read through this entire thread so some of this may have already been mentioned) I have a Netgear/Sierra 763S LTE mobile hotspot. It is on Rogers here in Canada - AT&T sells the same model in the US. One thing to note is that the USB tethering doesn't work which is disappointing as that should give the best connection. Perhaps Tesla could change this in the future. I do seem to get somewhat better speed when tethered for web browsing.

I don't understand how a device like Karma works. How does the data stream when it's switched to wifi by the hotspot increase over the maximum that LTE provides? I can see how it could change the Tesla from 3G to 4G LTE speeds, but wifi speeds??? How can they exceed the LTE speeds if the connection is then routed through LTE (the bottleneck in the system)?