Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Hotspot Tethering Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on your definition of "a few years" I suppose. The iPhone came out over 6 years ago now.

Correct in all ways. My def is 3-4yrs. Sorry, when I say didn't support tethering, I meant for free. After some research it's only been a year since the FCC ruled that tethering has to be available in 3rd party apps which means the carriers no longer charge for it either. This was not always true and that's where my information was out of date.

Of course now the carriers charge a ridiculous amount of money for data so not much has changed.

Wow, time does fly though. Six years since the first iPhone, wow.

Rather than buying a hotspot, I prefer to buy a small tablet with cellular connectivity (say, the new Nexus 7) and then tether to that. You get a great deal more functionality for your dollar, and the monthly charges are cheaper: I'm on Verizon's share-everything plan, and a hotspot costs me $20/month while a tablet costs me $10/month. The tablet pays for itself very quickly compared to the hotspot.

This is pure genius and it gives me a great excuse to upgrade my Nexus 7.

:Leans over: sweetie, if I buy a new Tablet it will save is money!

So, for example, if you listen to 30 minutes of slacker a day, you will burn through at least 250 MB a month. Adjust that based on you personal usage and keep it in mind when choosing a data plan.

This sounds like a solid estimate based on your math. And with map tile caching also enabled in 5.0, the map should use little to no data long-term. (I'm assuming/hoping it will do periodic tile updates overnight while connected to wi-fi).

Some information (and questions) about Slacker to help make a decision. Slacker delivers two different kind of streams depending on the client implementation. Either 128Kb MP3 or 40Kb AAC. Phone apps supposedly use 40Kb AAC so I'll go with that as the Tesla version. If it's MP3, triple the data usage. Does anyone know for certain?

Anyway, based on that, listening to 1 hour of slacker a day will use, at minimum, 540 MB of data in a 30 day month. If you frequently skip ahead in the middle of songs, you will consume more data since the pre-buffered song bits will be not be used (delivered but unplayed, counts against your data usage). It's not clear how much slacker buffers (though, they clearly don't buffer enough at times) but when there was a server error on slacker's side, it appeared that an entire song was buffered. Also, there is some delivery overhead but I'm not sure how slacker does their streaming and error handling.

So, for example, if you listen to 30 minutes of slacker a day, you will burn through at least 250 MB a month. Adjust that based on you personal usage and keep it in mind when choosing a data plan.

Not sure about this... in my initial testing monitoring usage while tethered on my husband's phone, I observed a 3MB download per song. I need to try this again to confirm data throughput, but from what I saw and assuming a 3 minute song length, 30 minutes of slacker a day (10 songs per day) for 30 days (300 songs) would add up to 900 MB per month (and yes, I do a lot of skipping to the next song - that's not even factored in). I will have to give this a try with the lower quality slacker setting.

This sounds like a solid estimate based on your math. And with map tile caching also enabled in 5.0, the map should use little to no data long-term. (I'm assuming/hoping it will do periodic tile updates overnight while connected to wi-fi).

I would be interested to know how well tile caching is working. It seems like every time I leave my garage and switch over from wifi to 3g, there is a significant amount of time where I have no map at all (save for 3 or 4 tiles). It's an odd behavior that seems to be related to how far away from the house I can go with a weak wifi signal before 3g switchover. Slacker also will not play for the few blocks that I drive after leaving my garage. Kind of annoying.

I would be interested to know how well tile caching is working. It seems like every time I leave my garage and switch over from wifi to 3g, there is a significant amount of time where I have no map at all (save for 3 or 4 tiles). It's an odd behavior that seems to be related to how far away from the house I can go with a weak wifi signal before 3g switchover. Slacker also will not play for the few blocks that I drive after leaving my garage. Kind of annoying.

My guess is that's the sort of thing reported by early users that will be fixed in subsequent 5.0 updates. Wifi shouldn't make things worse.

I have unlimited data on ATT with an iPhone. At one time ATT said you could not tether with the unlimited data plan. Is that still true? Or has it changed, based on comment #44, above?

I, too, have been grandfathered into an unlimited ATT data plan back from the days when iPhone was initially launched. I have been warned that if I were to make any changes to my plan (even adding to my plan such things as more texts) I would immediately lose my unlimited data plan. I have NEVER once come close to using enough of my data on a monthly basis to justify the increased cost that I pay for the unlimited; but I kept it for the sake of having it. I suspect that if you were to 'legally' turn on tethering on your iPhone through ATT, you would likewise lose your unlimited plan. Now, you could jailbreak it (not that I am nec. advocating that) and get around that. But be aware that even though you have something that says it is 'unlimited', I believe ATT introduced the right to throttle your usage after a certain threshold (prob 2GB). You will still have data, but it will be at Edge speeds.

I suppose it never hurts to ask?

Throttling begins at 3GB; ATT did that to me once. I know you can jailbreak the iPhone to enable tethering, but at one time ATT could detect the tethering by examining the data stream. Is that still the case, or has the jail break tethering programs been revised to simulate the data stream of the phone?

Throttling begins at 3GB; ATT did that to me once. I know you can jailbreak the iPhone to enable tethering, but at one time ATT could detect the tethering by examining the data stream. Is that still the case, or has the jail break tethering programs been revised to simulate the data stream of the phone?

It makes sense that they could detect possible tethering usage via examining data streams.. but I would think that they would only do that to heavier users. I do not know if modern tether jailbreak solutions can hide their data streams - if not, that is certainly a good idea.

I do find the whole extra charge for tethering to be annoying as my usage is limited to the abilities of my phone, it's not like I can actually get anymore data than I am allotted without paying for it or suffering SLOW speeds. When I first heard about the whole throttling being introduced, I would turn on Netflix and stream movies while driving around just to use up my data as my very small and insignificant act of protest. But then I got lazy and even after a few days, I never came close to the throttle point.

Not sure about this... in my initial testing monitoring usage while tethered on my husband's phone, I observed a 3MB download per song. I need to try this again to confirm data throughput, but from what I saw and assuming a 3 minute song length, 30 minutes of slacker a day (10 songs per day) for 30 days (300 songs) would add up to 900 MB per month (and yes, I do a lot of skipping to the next song - that's not even factored in). I will have to give this a try with the lower quality slacker setting.

What was slacker running on? The MS? Do you have 5.0? That data rate implies MP3 at 128K rather than AAC. A 3 minute song is 2.8MB with 128K MP3. It would be a shame if the MS slacker implementation used MP3.

What was slacker running on? The MS? Do you have 5.0? That data rate implies MP3 at 128K rather than AAC. A 3 minute song is 2.8MB with 128K MP3. It would be a shame if the MS slacker implementation used MP3.

Yes, 5.0 installed on my MS. I just re-verified ~3MB per song (3:00+) at Best quality setting. Dropping to Medium quality setting drops it down to just over 1MB (for a 3:00+ minute song). In my 15 or so minutes streaming songs (and skipping to the next song) I used almost 41MB of data (again, both at Best and Medium quality settings, but mostly at Best).

I hope that some find this helpful. I have been struggling to figure out what my best option will be when the connectivity plans are revealed. I currently have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. I am looking to switch to TMobile so that I can at least save a little on my monthly bill, but the possible addition of tethering or another mifi type of device (and the amount of data that I will require for all of my devices including the MS) has my head spinning trying to figure out what my best option will be.

Last edited:
I have unlimited data on ATT with an iPhone. At one time ATT said you could not tether with the unlimited data plan. Is that still true? Or has it changed, based on comment #44, above?

I have the unlimited plan from AT&T as well. I called and the only way to tether without jailbreaking is to change to a tiered plan with a minimum of 5GB per month. I don't think they will let the unlimited plan stick around too much longer anyway so I'm considering making the change.

I have two jailbroken phones - a 4 and a 4S. Sadly, neither are LTE. Both have unlimited data plans One is a corporate phone (on a $150K/mo account) and the other is my personal phone. Observations:

(1) the personal phone gets throttled down at 3GB just like you say.
(2) the corporate phone does not notice throttling.
(3) I have pushed over 10GB/mo twice on the personal plan. I make no phone calls (okay, maybe one or two every six months) from that phone and I text rarely. So if there is any phone that ATT is going to ID as jailbroken, that is it ... I have been doing this for two years. No intervention (e.g. billing, phonecalls, emails) from ATT whatsoever
(4) jailbreaking your phone is not illegal, so there is no fear of legal reprimand
(5) I used redsn0w on the corporate phone, but recently upgraded it to absinthe (I think - it's been a while) and the home phone has redsn0w still on it - since I do nothing but stream data, I don't care about some of the functions that absinthe has overcome.

FWIW

Yes, 5.0 installed on my MS. I just re-verified ~3MB per song (3:00+) at Best quality setting. Dropping to Medium quality setting drops it down to just over 1MB (for a 3:00+ minute song). In my 15 or so minutes streaming songs (and skipping to the next song) I used almost 41MB of data (again, both at Best and Medium quality settings, but mostly at Best).

I hope that some find this helpful. I have been struggling to figure out what my best option will be when the connectivity plans are revealed. I currently have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. I am looking to switch to TMobile so that I can at least save a little on my monthly bill, but the possible addition of tethering or another mifi type of device (and the amount of data that I will require for all of my devices including the MS) has my head spinning trying to figure out what my best option will be.

Depending upon how much you drive, this may make the Tesla plan worthwhile.

AT&T's tether-eligible 5GB plan cost is $50 absent any discounts you may receive via employer, supplier, etc., with $10 for each GB. If every 2.5 hours of driving generates just under half a gig, you could be in for a wicked surprise if you relied upon tethering. This is not to mention the loss of 3G availability when you're not in the car (unless you simply buy a mifi point).

Unlimited plans from other carriers + a tether device might make a separate plan + tether worthwhile...

For me it will depend upon what's included. If remote app access depends upon having the connectivity plan, that pretty much decides it for me right then and there. If Tesla were to commit to tethering off the car's connection, that too will be a big factor.

Does anyone who have 5.0 know if you can use the Model S itself as a hotspot? In other words, can I tether my wifi-only device to the Model S to be able to allow passengers to surf on their tablets?

Not sure you would want to share a 3G link with more devices than just the car and console. This makes more sense when combined with a 4G/LTE upgrade of the cars cellular data connection. I think that is how Audi does it for their WiFi hotspot feature.