Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lte in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine the maps are cached in the car - probably best to "visit" any new areas via the touchscreen while still on Wifi. This probably happens naturally when you navigate to a new place (unless too many hi-res map tiles need to be fetched on the go)

The centre screen is showing google maps which are live but aren't the maps used for Nav. You can get situations where the two are out of sync, ie a new road being built, which can be entertaining with Google happily showing you the new road as it tends to pick it up quickly, and the nav complaining you're in the wilderness.

Reactions: lonertic
Wondering out loud then, what would be the legal ramifications of one were to hypothetically take out the Telstra Sim card, stick it into a Nighthawk M1 (or similar insanely fast LTE router), and the car connect back to it via WiFi? I'm sure we'll get LTE speeds that way for something like $200...but not sure how Tesla feels about us touching their sim card and whether the MCU will still work without a SIM physically inside it....

Bummer. Back to square one. I'll ask the SC again when i see them, but yeah like i said, last time i asked them, he was very straightforward and told me basically all AU cars already have LTE hardware and the 3G is just limited by the data plan somehow... Which doesn't seem to make sense to me because I thought any Telstra Sim card can connect to their 4G network... Although i do remember a while back when Aldi or Boost or someone was doing Telstra network resell plans for a fraction of the price and the catch is they were 3G only, no 4G access... Maybe that's what Tesla's done? Put us older cars on a Boost plan but still under the Telstra mobile network?

Wondering out loud then, what would be the legal ramifications of one were to hypothetically take out the Telstra Sim card, stick it into a Nighthawk M1 (or similar insanely fast LTE router), and the car connect back to it via WiFi? I'm sure we'll get LTE speeds that way for something like $200...but not sure how Tesla feels about us touching their sim card and whether the MCU will still work without a SIM physically inside it....
Wifi switches off when the car is in “drive”.

I think he means it disconnects from WiFi. I'm pretty sure that is what is supposed to happen when the car starts up in order to force it on to the 3G/4G network. I recall the Tesla tech telling me about this quite a while ago.

This: WiFi disconnects when I shift to D or R - always

Marty
I’m not so sure. There was an extended telstra outage late last year, so I made my phone a hotspot and connected the tesla to that wifi. My nav worked as it should whilst driving.