Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still curious to know why I don't seem to have the problem nearly to the extent of others. I've had maybe 5 dropouts in 2.5 years, and I'm in the car a lot. I have no problem whatsoever when my car flips over from WiFi in my garage to 3G as others have reported. The only time I have had a dropout as described by others here is when I'm in an area that I don't usually frequent, and that's why I think it has something to do with signal strength or the cell tower you're connected to.
Lucky you. Don't know if your car switches to Wifi in your garage. Mine does because 3G signal in my neighborhood is very poor. Almost every other morning, the car will not reconnect to 3G after leaving home. Rebooting the touchscreen fix it. My SC suggested deleting the Wifi setup to maintain the 3G connection and with always ON. It did not help. I hope there will be a fix to this from Tesla soon.

Other than this and the missing tire pressure readings, my MS seems to be doing well. AP is another story.

I'm not convinced it's an issue with the car. If it was, why wouldn't people have problems in other countries? It has gotten better and worse over time, and maybe that's correlated with software upgrades, but I'm not sure that's 100% proven. I can't say I know what the problem is and I haven't seen any real evidence of a solid pattern. It did seem better with Power Save off, but it's random enough that that's not conclusive in my mind. This is why I think Tesla needs data - the logs probably say a lot more than we can see, like what specific network or cell technology or maybe even cell tower it was connected to when it dropped, where it was when it dropped, what it was trying to do to re-connect, why that wasn't working, etc.

I'm not convinced it's an issue with the car. If it was, why wouldn't people have problems in other countries? It has gotten better and worse over time, and maybe that's correlated with software upgrades, but I'm not sure that's 100% proven. I can't say I know what the problem is and I haven't seen any real evidence of a solid pattern. It did seem better with Power Save off, but it's random enough that that's not conclusive in my mind. This is why I think Tesla needs data - the logs probably say a lot more than we can see, like what specific network or cell technology or maybe even cell tower it was connected to when it dropped, where it was when it dropped, what it was trying to do to re-connect, why that wasn't working, etc.
I don't know how best to explain it, except I know that at the same location where the 3G signal is weak, rebooting the touchscreen fixed it. Does it mean that rebooting initiates some sort of authentication with the service provider that the car does not do when simply switching from Wifi to 3G?

Lucky you. Don't know if your car switches to Wifi in your garage.

Yes, it does. The only thing I notice is a 1 or 2 second pause in my Slacker music about a block from my home. I think it's because it buffered so much on WiFi and then has to start streaming on 3G after the switchover. Maps and everything work fine, and my 3G symbol come on immediately after the WiFi symbol goes away.

Yes, it does. The only thing I notice is a 1 or 2 second pause in my Slacker music about a block from my home. I think it's because it buffered so much on WiFi and then has to start streaming on 3G after the switchover. Maps and everything work fine, and my 3G symbol come on immediately after the WiFi symbol goes away.

Don't you have always connected checked with energy saving set to off? That seems to make the dropouts much much less for me, although to save energy I have it set to the opposite.

I don't know how best to explain it, except I know that at the same location where the 3G signal is weak, rebooting the touchscreen fixed it. Does it mean that rebooting initiates some sort of authentication with the service provider that the car does not do when simply switching from Wifi to 3G?
Here's (loosely - there are minor differences between vendors, and I'm simplifying) what happens when you lose coverage.

1. The UE (modem/radio) attempts to establish a connection on the last known frequency up to a certain amount of times. This variable is configurable.
2. If the modem can't reattach, it starts looking for other available carriers on the preferred roaming partner at other frequencies (e.g. 850 Mhz, 1900 Mhz, 1700 Mhz, etc...) and if it finds one, it registers.
3. If it can't find anything available, it then searches for other available carriers on the preferred roaming list and attaches to that network (e.g. Bell).
4. On a periodic poll basis, the UE attempts to reattach to the 1st preferred network. It does this to reduce roaming fees and costs. If it finds the preferred network (e.g. Rogers in Canada), it will detach from the serving network, and re-register on the preferred network.

When you reboot the touchscreen, you're essentially forcing the software to start at #1.

The speed of which #1, #2, and #3 happen are directly attributable to how the software that is controlling the radio plane is built. (e.g. I've been referring to this as the baseband in this discussion). If it's not optimized, or if the resources are of a low priority, or if the chipset is slow, or busy, this process can take some time.

What happens when you're in areas of poor coverage is a bit of a ping pong situation. When you hit #4, you'll lose coverage while it attempts to go back to #1.

Don't you have always connected checked with energy saving set to off? That seems to make the dropouts much much less for me, although to save energy I have it set to the opposite.

Yes, I do, but it didn't seem to make much difference. One of my handful of dropouts happened when I had Energy Savings On, and Always Connected un-checked BUT, I was out of town parked somewhere I couldn't plug in and wanted to save a bit of energy. It wasn't a dropout exactly, but when I went to leave it took maybe 5 minutes to connect. It was in a very low signal strength area. At home I don't have this problem, but generally don't use those settings because I don't like how long the mobile app takes to connect and I don't like waiting for the screens to boot up when I get in the car.

There's a US thread stating $500 and it has already been done on some cars. Guys are saying everything works a bit better. I went over to the US today and noticed my Slacker and maps were updating quicker than they usually do here. Could just be a really good signal where I was though I guess. Slacker seemed to skip to the next song faster than I have ever seen though, maybe half to 3/4 of a second before next song started playing.

Well I hope they offer it in Canada soon as I would do that upgrade - biggest LTE network in the world, might as well use it :)

I also need to get winter rims and tires, but don't want their stock tires. Maybe get it done all at once. Anyone had success in getting them to use different tires through the dealer?