Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah ok. Seems like they could just replace the Bluetooth module, no?

I would think so but not exactly sure how the MCU is built. I had been working with them for a few weeks trying to figure out what was going on. They finally e-mailed me and said they were replacing the MCU so maybe it was something else.

I did ask if LTE was a paid upgrade since they were going to the trouble of taking the old one out, might as well piggyback onto the work and get it done if not too expensive.

Thanks. I really wanted to know why a wiring harness when the graphics card seems to to be changed. Why would the radio not be LTE capable? That seems quite odd. I understand intuitively other constraints such as the graphics card and the code being used to support the entire connectivity package including browser. It really seems as though maybe Tesla/Google missed the critical points in the original design. OTOH, that was close to five years ago, an eternity in these terms.

The "graphics card" is not changed. The radio module, which attaches to the MCU, is changed.

This past week I had my MCU replaced & assumed all of my settings & favorites were going to be lost (my second homelink location setup was a huge pain), my service adviser & I were pleasantly shocked to find everything had been saved & transferred, the only thing we had to do was pair our phones again.

I have been critical of service lately but this was a job well done!

This past week I had my MCU replaced & assumed all of my settings & favorites were going to be lost (my second homelink location setup was a huge pain), my service adviser & I were pleasantly shocked to find everything had been saved & transferred, the only thing we had to do was pair our phones again.

I have been critical of service lately but this was a job well done!

I would really like to see "cloud settings" for Tesla, so that when you get a loaner your data can be populated to it (and when you have two cars, settings might propagate). That would also restore all your goodies, from TuneIn/Slacker to seat positions to bluetooth to homelink whenever anything was replaced in the car.

I would really like to see "cloud settings" for Tesla, so that when you get a loaner your data can be populated to it (and when you have two cars, settings might propagate). That would also restore all your goodies, from TuneIn/Slacker to seat positions to bluetooth to homelink whenever anything was replaced in the car.
How would you handle multiple drivers in a car when the loaner came along? Do it all with a single login from the car and switch to a new group of drivers?

How would you handle multiple drivers in a car when the loaner came along? Do it all with a single login from the car and switch to a new group of drivers?

Well, I didn't go so far as to design it, but initially I'd say yes and throw out there that My Tesla credentials would hold a set of drivers registered to your automobile(s).