Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
anyone else have a problem where they drive thru a spot with limited service (unavoidable where I live) and the LTE drops but won't come back after that? I live in a canyon in southern California and service is spotty here, but usually enough to stay connected...however occasionally it will drop the LTE connection and not pick it back up. I just had this happen and even a reboot didn't bring it back... extremely annoying given the only other music alternative is regular FM radio.

Reactions: dusdev
anyone else have a problem where they drive thru a spot with limited service (unavoidable where I live) and the LTE drops but won't come back after that? I live in a canyon in southern California and service is spotty here, but usually enough to stay connected...however occasionally it will drop the LTE connection and not pick it back up. I just had this happen and even a reboot didn't bring it back... extremely annoying given the only other music alternative is regular FM radio.
This happened quite a bit last week. This week not at all. Same area. I figured it's a software bug as my area should have zero LTE dropouts. (Fort Myers, FL)
I'm about due for 42.4 so maybe that will improve it.

I'm confused, you say it drops and never comes back?
Or do you mean that it takes a long time to come back?

Yes. I park underground and it happens almost daily. If the underground spot doesn't have a connection, when I exit to drive home it will often not have LTE at all for the entire drive (20-30 minutes). I've resorted to setting up a WiFi hotspot on my phone as a backup (although a big oopsies last Friday when it downloaded the 600 MB firmware update).

That said, I'm now running 2018.44.1 and I haven't observed the problem yet (LTE seems better) <knock on wood>. I'll watch this thread and mention if it happens again.

Seems to me like sloppy radio stack programming. The retry is way too low when you're driving. I can understand not wanting to drain battery when parked, but if there is a connectivity issue it should retry with some reasonable periodicity while moving.