Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone

There are a couple threads about LTE issues but mine are a bit different. I am driving a Model 3 (June 2019 production date) in Vancouver Canada.

I park in an underground with poor LTE. A few days a week when I arrive in the car it will have no connectivity. However, upon leaving the parkade, cell service is very strong, but the car will not reconnect. It can take well over 30 minutes in strong connectivity areas before it finally connects, seemingly at random. This also happens any time the car goes to deep sleep such as when it sits for a long time, or when it is rebooted. It has been an issue as long as I have had the vehicle, but seems to be happening a bit more since v10 (or at least with the v10 features I am just noticing it more).

Does anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: totteraptor
Hi Everyone

There are a couple threads about LTE issues but mine are a bit different. I am driving a Model 3 (June 2019 production date) in Vancouver Canada.

I park in an underground with poor LTE. A few days a week when I arrive in the car it will have no connectivity. However, upon leaving the parkade, cell service is very strong, but the car will not reconnect. It can take well over 30 minutes in strong connectivity areas before it finally connects, seemingly at random. This also happens any time the car goes to deep sleep such as when it sits for a long time, or when it is rebooted. It has been an issue as long as I have had the vehicle, but seems to be happening a bit more since v10 (or at least with the v10 features I am just noticing it more).

What firmware version are you on now? Also submit a service call, could be the LTE antenna became disconnected or wasn’t connected at all.

Fred

As far as loss of signal for long periods of time...yes this is pretty much defined in the 3GPP standard. The cellular device has different search stages it goes through and when you lose signal for a long time the cellular device is asleep way more than awake, and when it is awake it does not do an exhaustive search all at once and it is probably searching in the right place anymore. Takes time.

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
derotam,

Sounds like you know more than I do but the OP said it takes 30 min. Assuming this isn't a big exaggeration, that seems way beyond what it should be. I have been in underground parking garages and have rebooted the car and it only takes a few minutes to connect. I've never timed it but it's definitely less than 5 minutes.

FWIW, I think it's worth the time to push the issue with Tesla.

derotam,

Sounds like you know more than I do but the OP said it takes 30 min. Assuming this isn't a big exaggeration, that seems way beyond what it should be. I have been in underground parking garages and have rebooted the car and it only takes a few minutes to connect. I've never timed it but it's definitely less than 5 minutes.

Yes, rebooting does change where it starts again in the search algorithm.

I don't have any interest in getting into the 3GPP spec deep enough to look at the timings and see what the max time theoretically would be but from my last look into cellular specs a long time ago, I am pretty sure it is a cellular standard that Tesla would have no control over.

Hi Everyone

I have the exact same problem, happens intermittently, usually in the morning when I leave for work after the car sitting all night. sometimes takes over an hour to reconnect. I sent an email to technical support over a week ago, but have heard nothing.

for you guys having problems - i had an issue after being in an underground garage where my car just simply would not reconnect to LTE. it was stuck in no service mode and wouldn't get out. i went in to the secret menu and typed LTE and service instantly came back. not sure if this was coincidence or not, but i haven't had a single LTE problem since, whereas before I was getting weird sporadic issues.

if you're still having service issues - can you see if this works?

Hi Everyone

I'm in Vancouver, June 2018 purchase date, and have similar issues, sometimes. I'd say 90% of the time I pull out of the parkade, it connects right away. Even as I'm driving out at the upper level it will grab 3G, then LTE when it can.

But yes, 10% of the time when it doesn't connect, it's offline for 10 minutes or more. If there was a way to get it to try and poll a cell tower without a reboot, that would be helpful. I believe Tesla connects to Rogers in Canada, but I don't think it's a provider issue.

for you guys having problems - i had an issue after being in an underground garage where my car just simply would not reconnect to LTE. it was stuck in no service mode and wouldn't get out. i went in to the secret menu and typed LTE and service instantly came back. not sure if this was coincidence or not, but i haven't had a single LTE problem since, whereas before I was getting weird sporadic issues.

Secret menu? Please explain.

Interesting, though I think it was purely coincidental especially if it had been in no service for a while. Next chance I get I will test it out.

Thanks everyone for all of your responses. I took a few days based on what everyone has added to observe more closely, and fortunately it seems like this has been resolved to some extent by the v10 update and a subsequent small update I received. I saw posted to reddit today that someone else with this exact issue also has seen it clear up recently. I will update if anything changes. What I have noticed though is I am often on 3G now instead of LTE.

One thing I didn't mention before is that the issue also happened intermittently after a reboot. Anything that interrupted the connection risked a lengthy reconnect wait.

What firmware version are you on now? Also submit a service call, could be the LTE antenna became disconnected or wasn’t connected at all.

Fred

I was hesitant to go this route right away because my thought was without the antenna connected I would generally never have a connection as opposed to intermittently. If the issue comes back this is my next play.

derotam,

Thanks for this. Yes, the only reason I know that it was so long is because there were times where it would not restore during my entire 35+ minute commute.

I have the exact same problem, happens intermittently, usually in the morning when I leave for work after the car sitting all night. sometimes takes over an hour to reconnect. I sent an email to technical support over a week ago, but have heard nothing.

Did you hear anything back?

I'm in Vancouver, June 2018 purchase date, and have similar issues, sometimes. I'd say 90% of the time I pull out of the parkade, it connects right away. Even as I'm driving out at the upper level it will grab 3G, then LTE when it can.

But yes, 10% of the time when it doesn't connect, it's offline for 10 minutes or more. If there was a way to get it to try and poll a cell tower without a reboot, that would be helpful. I believe Tesla connects to Rogers in Canada, but I don't think it's a provider issue.

Same issue then. Are you still experiencing it?

This happens to me every day, no matter where I am parked. Between ~10AM and 3PM (Central European Time) it is impossible to wake the car with the Tesla app (tried for up to 20 minutes), and when I enter the car it doesn't have any connection. Have to drive 5-10 minutes before it suddenly is connected again.
Tesla said there's spotty reception, but I challenged that statement with the VIN number to 5 different TMS and TMX parked next to mine, where everyone could wake their cars.

I've got my next service appointment on Dec 9th, will update you if there is any progress.

Same issue. Parked in underground parking garage and takes 5 min to reconnect 50% of the time and sometimes 20+/never about 5% of the time. Even a reboot does not resolve this 50% of the time.

It's frustrating but I'll try this secret menu technique to see if it helps.

Possibly unrelated but... I remeber with my old TomTom i had a quickfixGPS patch to help connect to GPS quicker. Is there something like this for cell service to push a reconnect when the car is turned on that Tesla could implement?

So, some updates:
  • After the V10 update or perhaps the first small update after, I was stuck in 3G for a few weeks but the connection was steady. That being said, it did not seem to have the bandwidth to support audio streaming (playback of live internet radio was spotty). Then suddenly after a hard brake last week 4G came back and has been working fine since.
  • I had at that point already contacted mobile service. They attended after the 4G had returned and found no faults. They said that they had done some checking before remotely which also did not turn up any issues. I was told that they will monitor from their end, and I should let them know if any symptoms come back.
Hopefully it just works from here on out. Good luck to everyone else as well. Based on my experience, I recommend getting cut off at about 40km/h and having the automatic braking system kick in to resolve the issue (haha). The service technician was super nice, professional, and seemed to be genuinely excited to try and get to the bottom of it. That was really nice.