Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have seen massive improvement with 36.2.1

I now have lte reception before I even leave my underground garage. It’s a small sample size of a few days but it had never worked before like this.
Sorry for re-awakening an old thread.
I got the 2019.36 update and the car has not had issues with limited connectivity after I start it.
However, I still struggle with waking the car with the app, even more so now than before. I have to try to wake it for at least 5 minutes in the morning, and I give up on waking it during daytime.
I walked in to the Tesla service center, and the technician just pointed at the LTE bars and said "you have reception". I tried to explain that it happens when the car is left alone for a while, but they didn't want to listen to me. Got it back the day after "no issues found"
Ironic that I couldn't wake it with my phone when I picked it up, but the only thing they said is "we don't have support for the phone app", and told me that I could schedule another service.

I have had similar LTE connectivity issues after the car has been parked underground. I took my Tesla on a road trip to Vegas and the hotel valet must have parked the car underground for 3 days. When I got the car back, LTE did not reconnect for about 3 to 4 hours. Once a week, I have to park for work in an underground parking garage. When I leave to go home, it may take 45 to 60 min for the LTE to reconnect and few times it does not reconnect at all until the next morning.

Altough it is annoying that I cannot listen to Spotify while this LTE connection problem is happneing, my number one concern is that I cannot make phone calls including calling 911 in case of an emergency.

I have a service appointment this Friday at my local SC. I told them about the LTE issue. In my pre appointment communication with the SC, it sounds like they are going to say there is nothing wrong and it is a bug that needs to be fixed in future OTA updates. Does this sound reasonable or is there something else going on with the LTE issue?

Are phone calls not made using your phone's LTE service, not the car's? The car's cellular antenna could turn purple and fly to SpaceX HQ, your phone should still work.

I know I can make a call using my phone directly. I am referring to hands-free calling. If I am driving at 70 mph and need to call 911, I want to be able to hit the voice control button and simply say "call 911". If the LTE connection in the phone is down, I cannot do this. Yes, I can pick up the phone and call. But this is more dangerous than using voice control to make this call.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
I know I can make a call using my phone directly. I am referring to hands-free calling. If I am driving at 70 mph and need to call 911, I want to be able to hit the voice control button and simply say "call 911". If the LTE connection in the phone is down, I cannot do this. Yes, I can pick up the phone and call. But this is more dangerous than using voice control to make this call.
That sounds awful. If this happens to you try to remember that there's a pedal next to the throttle. If you press that (make sure nobody is straight behind you first) for a while the car will eventually stop. Then you can try to call using your phone.

Sidenote: When you do a voice activated call it actually uses your phone's bluetooth connection, so it doesn't matter if the car has LTE or not. Just FYI

That sounds awful. If this happens to you try to remember that there's a pedal next to the throttle. If you press that (make sure nobody is straight behind you first) for a while the car will eventually stop. Then you can try to call using your phone.

Nice to see sarcasm is alive and well on the forum. All I am saying is that a car that cost north of $60,000 should have reliable hands-free calling and should not be tripped up by parking in an underground parking garage. My Subaru WRX had a more reliable hands fee calling feature than my Tesla.

Sidenote: When you do a voice activated call it actually uses your phone's bluetooth connection, so it doesn't matter if the car has LTE or not. Just FYI

This is incorrect. When I try making a hands-free call and the LTE connection is out, it does not work. I am speaking from multiple attempts and experiences.

• Funny
Reactions: doghousePVD
2019.36.2.1 same thing happened to me earlier this week while it was parked in an underground garage with no service for 2 nights. A reboot while driving seemed to solve it but I was surprised I drove 5 mins with no LTE service. Seems like a bug to me and it's one that's been around a long time.

Got it back the day after "no issues found"
Ironic that I couldn't wake it with my phone when I picked it up, but the only thing they said is "we don't have support for the phone app", and told me that I could schedule another service.

Is that a catch-22? They don't support the phone app but you can always reschedule the service appointment and let them tell you the car has reception.

Did they say who does support the phone app?

I have been telling people Teslas are not so much smart cars as cell phones with wheels. I guess they are going to end support for the apps on the car next...

I have had similar LTE connectivity issues after the car has been parked underground. I took my Tesla on a road trip to Vegas and the hotel valet must have parked the car underground for 3 days. When I got the car back, LTE did not reconnect for about 3 to 4 hours. Once a week, I have to park for work in an underground parking garage. When I leave to go home, it may take 45 to 60 min for the LTE to reconnect and few times it does not reconnect at all until the next morning.

Altough it is annoying that I cannot listen to Spotify while this LTE connection problem is happneing, my number one concern is that I cannot make phone calls including calling 911 in case of an emergency.

Your phone calls have nothing to do with the car's reception. That is through your phone, not the car's connection. That's both good and bad.

I have a service appointment this Friday at my local SC. I told them about the LTE issue. In my pre appointment communication with the SC, it sounds like they are going to say there is nothing wrong and it is a bug that needs to be fixed in future OTA updates. Does this sound reasonable or is there something else going on with the LTE issue?

If it is not a universal problem, what could be different with your car to cause the problem? So no, that does not sound reasonable.

"OK Google, call 911", should work. It does on my phone and I don't have to pick it up and unlock it.

Nice to see sarcasm is alive and well on the forum. All I am saying is that a car that cost north of $60,000 should have reliable hands-free calling and should not be tripped up by parking in an underground parking garage. My Subaru WRX had a more reliable hands fee calling feature than my Tesla.

This is incorrect. When I try making a hands-free call and the LTE connection is out, it does not work. I am speaking from multiple attempts and experiences.

How often do you call 911? I don’t think I have ever called 911.