Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around 2 weeks ago I was driving and my map update and streaming radio service stopped working. My car was delivered in late July and I was fortunate enough to get LTE. My signal strength indicator used to display the words "LTE", but now it is just the signal strength bars. The car is being picked up by Tesla on Wednesday. They had me reset the center display and dash prior to bringing my car in. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having a problem with the new LTE or if its just a random incident.

I'm having the same problem. I picked up my car end of June (LTE) enabled. I tried the "hold both scroll wheels to reset approach x3, while driving, parked, held until "T" appeared on screen, long enough for both dash and console reset" and no luck.

I found the post below on how to fix, but I wanted to have the service center confirm the steps and the process. I scheduled an appointment (they told me to plan on 2 hour window to fix), and then my LTE started to work. I cancelled, and 2 days later it was out again. So I drove the car to the service center. I talked with mechanic, he was very helpful and polite. It only took 15 minutes from start to finish and looks simple. He followed the procedure below, so i know it is safe.. If this is going to be a re-occuring issue, I think Tesla needs to provide a good old fashion $.25 on/off switch to perform the reset.

I was told by SC this is clearly this is an issue with software updates. The mother ship fixes some bugs and breaking other items. Argh!

Good luck.

clip_image002.png
Originally Posted by yoyo
Here is what I got from SC that fixed the issue. SC suspect that it is the latest firmware related and have been at least 2. I did not want to drive to SC so they walked me through over the phone. It required pulling the fuse for the MCU.

1) open the fuse box in the frunk on the passenger side. You see a bunch of colorful fuses in the red box.
2) The yellow 20amp fuse for MCU is in the top row (closest to the windshielf), 4th column counting from the right side (you are facing it, so the right side is toward the middle of the car). It is yellow color. Below it is a green 30amp. On its right is a green 30amp, and on its left is a brown 5amp. Make sure you identify the right one.
3) use a pliers to pull it out
4) leave it for at least 3 minutes --- make sure over 3 minutes
5) push it back, and the MCU will reset itself

Thanks for the information. I will give this a try and see if it works.

I'm having the same problem. I picked up my car end of June (LTE) enabled. I tried the "hold both scroll wheels to reset approach x3, while driving, parked, held until "T" appeared on screen, long enough for both dash and console reset" and no luck.

I found the post below on how to fix, but I wanted to have the service center confirm the steps and the process. I scheduled an appointment (they told me to plan on 2 hour window to fix), and then my LTE started to work. I cancelled, and 2 days later it was out again. So I drove the car to the service center. I talked with mechanic, he was very helpful and polite. It only took 15 minutes from start to finish and looks simple. He followed the procedure below, so i know it is safe.. If this is going to be a re-occuring issue, I think Tesla needs to provide a good old fashion $.25 on/off switch to perform the reset.

I was told by SC this is clearly this is an issue with software updates. The mother ship fixes some bugs and breaking other items. Argh!

Good luck.

clip_image002.png
Originally Posted by yoyo
Here is what I got from SC that fixed the issue. SC suspect that it is the latest firmware related and have been at least 2. I did not want to drive to SC so they walked me through over the phone. It required pulling the fuse for the MCU.

1) open the fuse box in the frunk on the passenger side. You see a bunch of colorful fuses in the red box.
2) The yellow 20amp fuse for MCU is in the top row (closest to the windshielf), 4th column counting from the right side (you are facing it, so the right side is toward the middle of the car). It is yellow color. Below it is a green 30amp. On its right is a green 30amp, and on its left is a brown 5amp. Make sure you identify the right one.
3) use a pliers to pull it out
4) leave it for at least 3 minutes --- make sure over 3 minutes
5) push it back, and the MCU will reset itself

Heh, I just dropped my car off at the Service Center for this issue. I wonder what he will tell me they did for the fix when I pick the car up later today?

I would hope telling a Telsa Owner (or any car owner) to 'pull a fuse, wait 3 min, and reinsert' as a workaround to a problem would be an embarrassing conversation for the service advisor.

Pulling the fuse for a few minutes fixed the problem. I cancelled my service appointment with the Van Nuys service center. I wish they would have told me to do this in the first place.
Thanks a lot!!

Nick

SC told me the new version .46? (I may not remember this correctly) will fix this
it is coming in a couple days
it will also address the air suspension warning issue.
Basically it is similar to the last year issue about brake booster. Certain components boot up timing out of whack

SC told me the new version .46? (I may not remember this correctly) will fix this
it is coming in a couple days
it will also address the air suspension warning issue.
Basically it is similar to the last year issue about brake booster. Certain components boot up timing out of whack
I know this thread is about LTE not working, but did the SC indicate that the new .46 will also fix the 3G disconnection? Thanks.

Ok, so I was on the road in Las Vegas when the LTE loss hit me. The LV Service Center was great - they did the fuse pull and LTE was restored... for a bit.
Interestingly, LTE died on I-15 around Primm (Stateline) when heading to Vegas. The restored LTE worked in Las Vegas and surrounds (Red Rock Canyon National Recreation Area). When we hit Primm and the Supercharger on the way home, when we came back to the car after charging the LTE indicator was gone again (5 full bars of signal). Had to gerryrig using my phone's MiFi to get maps and traffic on the screen. Further, this problem causes the app not to connect (of course, as the car is off-line), so no remote A/C, no remote monitoring of charging and generally a PIA.

I am posting this to let everyone know that the two screen reboot doesn't work. Removing the USB stick (if any) doesn't work. Only the fuse (Fuse #51) pull seems to work, but it's an ephemeral fix.

Supposedly a fix for this is coming within a week. Based on the last two updates fixing one thing but breaking others, I'm not looking forward to see what the "fix" breaks.

This just happened to me this morning in my 85D that I just got a couple days ago. It seems that it was unable to acquire LTE after going out of range from my Wifi at home when I left for work this morning. Rebooting the entertainment system twice seemed to fix the problem. I hope this is fixed in the next system update.

This just happened to me this morning in my 85D that I just got a couple days ago. It seems that it was unable to acquire LTE after going out of range from my Wifi at home when I left for work this morning. Rebooting the entertainment system twice seemed to fix the problem. I hope this is fixed in the next system update.

My 2013 P85 with a recent LTE upgrade also had this problem... no internet, even if bars are showing. Two reboots appear to have fixed it. (It's got .25 software at the moment) Did not have to fiddle with the fusebox, I'm glad to say.

Hmmm let me add... the first reboot was done while I was driving the car... and did not fix the situation. The second reboot happened while the car was in park, and things were operating correctly after that. Perhaps it has to be in park?