Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 2014 P85+ is still running the 3G connection. I understand that there is an option t upgrade to a LTE connection for about $500 i think... my screens don't load super super fast but it is not "slow" either... I live in the heart of Las Vegas so connections are always good

So the question is if the LTE upgrade is worth it?... what would i see differently? Will there be a time where 3G is no longer supported and what will happen then?

Don't want to spend the money if the difference is negligible...

I've done the upgrade, and overall I'd say it's not worth it, if 3G coverage is sufficient for you.

Most delivery over the internet to the car seems to be gated (slowed) by the server side, not the download speed at the car.

Yes, Slacker songs download a bit faster, but they start playing at roughly the same time on either network. And once a song is playing, do you really care if the rest of the file takes 1,2,3 or 10 seconds longer so long as play is not interrupted? I don't.

With maps, you notice it's a server side constraint.. the tiles don't paint a lot faster with LTE.

Browsing is, well, slow not matter what. The VPN and other overheads routing through Tesla make it a meh experience, on either network.

The main reason I upgraded was a future proofing (don't know when Tesla may discontinue the notion of upgrading just cell connection for older cars) and as the world turns it'll be more LTE and maybe less 3G, so coverage starts to thin out... I didn't want to experience that.

my 2014 P85+ is still running the 3G connection. I understand that there is an option t upgrade to a LTE connection for about $500 i think... my screens don't load super super fast but it is not "slow" either... I live in the heart of Las Vegas so connections are always good

So the question is if the LTE upgrade is worth it?... what would i see differently? Will there be a time where 3G is no longer supported and what will happen then?

Don't want to spend the money if the difference is negligible...

I had the LTE upgrade installed about a year ago. At first the tiles on the map seemed to populate a little faster. Doing speed tests via the web browser I am seeing anywhere between 1-2 Mbs speed. Certainly not LTE speeds one would expect. Overall, it is a little faster. Another note, it improves coverage a little. There appears to be additional towers for LTE so areas where I didn't get any signal or weak signal, I now have more bars. At the end of the day if for no other reason the connection will connect on "Legacy Data, 3G and LTE.