Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE roll out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a post lifted from the Tesla forums. Sounds like it is a future hardware enhancement.

"aaron | MARCH 19, 2015Here is an email I just got from my service center when I asked them about LTE service
According to engineering all we are doing at this stage is doing testing into the use of LTE.
No release dates have been announced, and we have no info on retrofits.
However, it is clear that all vehicles in current production and earlier are not fit with hardware capable of supporting LTE.
So if they decide to make it available to previous vehicles, there would have to be some sort of updated hardware installed.
It is too early to know what is going to happen moving forward so I would advise to stay tuned to all things Tesla in the news and check back with us periodically."

At some point it's going to cost Tesla more to buy the older 3G chipsets than new ones with integrated LTE. That's also probably why they switched to a higher pixel density for the speedo, because the panels were upgraded by the vendor at the same cost and the previous panels were being phased out. Same could happen with the cellular chipsets.

This is me talking about something I don't know as fact, firsthand, so grain of salt and all that. But my understanding from late last year is that the board they were using for 3G (4G if you're wearing your fancy marketing hat) was end of life'd mid last year, if not earlier. The replacement was LTE compatible. I don't know the pricing details but assumption was (you know what they say about assume and all) it was a direct replacement, similar/less cost. That doesn't mean they couldn't keep getting the old part for a while, but it was reasonable to me to conjecture that at some point in the later part of last year that they switched to the new radio parts. That doesn't necessarily mean that they had antenna modules that would support LTE, even if the radio module itself did. The other thing I understood from quite some time ago is that it was a module that should be able to be replaced independently of the rest of the system.

So I wouldn't really be that surprised if Nov/Dec 2014 deliveries, or early 2015 deliveries were LTE ready, soon as they have a deal done to turn them on. Wouldn't surprise me either for there to be a service center upgrade to LTE enable any S not already able - though not sure they would go to the effort to do that right now. Frankly at some point, if they were up for such a thing at all, it'd make more sense to update the whole Tegra system to whatever they come up with for the Model X era of systems. That and better optimized software are really needed to go hand in hand with data speed anyway.

Anyway, just fun conjecture for any of it at this point.

They do? They still haven't shut down EDGE in the vast majority of the market. Only about 50% of the phones in use can use LTE data and about 30% of the phones can use LTE voice. The shutdown of 3G is at least a decade away if not longer.

Telenor in Norway have said 3G will be shutdown in 2020. (Norwegian source: 4G - Telenor skal kvitte seg med 3G - tu.no/it) The article says that 2G will live on, presumably to support voice and sms I guess.

Just checked my April build 85D, still showing 3G :'(

I think we'll figure it out soon, but this could be the first delivery showing it with latest software. So could be a mid-May sometime build date forward that has LTE enabled, but only with latest software. It is always frustrating we know though to be that batch right before something new comes out; e.g. auto pilot, 60 to 70 battery, etc. Ug!