Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE service free only for 4 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I feel better that i didn't ask an obvious question. Of course I intend to enjoy my Tesla and this doesn't hang over my head by any means or takes away from the enjoyment of owning it. Still, it would be good to know what we'll be in for after 4 years.

I for one, am hoping for many, many years of ownership bliss with my Tesla so will not be trading in after 4 years, especially since it's now paid for!

Folks, ATT offers Split Billing to companies like Tesla. Essentially, when data comes from or goes to Tesla-specified addresses, Tesla will pay for it. Then it would be up to you to pay for anything else.

So, if Tesla wants, they can continue to pay for firmware updates, live traffic, etc., and make you pay for web browsing, music streaming, etc. Or, they could mix and match as they see fit.

ATT probably loves that Tesla pays for service in each and every car. They'd probably also love the opportunity to upsell you with service to your particular car. Note that if you have an ATT family plan, it's most likely you'd be able to add the car to that plan for $10/month (or whatever the going rate is at that time).

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
People who think they are going to be happy with their Tesla many years in the future are (wrongly, in my opinion) thinking of it as a car. It's not. It's a gadget. Do any of you still use your original 2007 iPhone? I have one. We call it the iBrick and use it as an alarm clock. I believe our current cars will be similarly hopelessly slow and obsolete a few years down the road.

Yes, you can buy an LTE upgrade, but most hardware upgrades won't be that self-contained or simple. You can't go D. You won't be able to get the new sensor suite when it comes out, so self-driving will never happen. When the crowded supercharger protocol becomes "just park your car nearby and go about your business; when your turn comes it will drive over, hook itself to the charger, and re-park itself when done" you'll still be the one dealing with your car manually.

People just don't keep their gadgets that long because they become better so fast. This car-like gadget will be no different.

People who think they are going to be happy with their Tesla many years in the future are (wrongly, in my opinion) thinking of it as a car. It's not. It's a gadget. Do any of you still use your original 2007 iPhone? I have one. We call it the iBrick and use it as an alarm clock. I believe our current cars will be similarly hopelessly slow and obsolete a few years down the road.

Yes, you can buy an LTE upgrade, but most hardware upgrades won't be that self-contained or simple. You can't go D. You won't be able to get the new sensor suite when it comes out, so self-driving will never happen. When the crowded supercharger protocol becomes "just park your car nearby and go about your business; when your turn comes it will drive over, hook itself to the charger, and re-park itself when done" you'll still be the one dealing with your car manually.

People just don't keep their gadgets that long because they become better so fast. This car-like gadget will be no different.
The difference is most gadgets don't cost in the high five figures. Replacing a Tesla is a different level of financial commitment than replacing an iPhone. Most "classic" Tesla owners bought the car to drive an EV and aren't that interested in autopilot or other gimmicks.

That doesn't bode well for resale value down the road, if you're right!

The difference is most gadgets don't cost in the high five figures. Replacing a Tesla is a different level of financial commitment than replacing an iPhone. Most "classic" Tesla owners bought the car to drive an EV and aren't that interested in autopilot or other gimmicks.

Sorry, but our eight year old Model S's won't be worth much more than $20K at best, probably less considering the relatively inexpensive Model 3 at that time will be in almost every way a better car. So replacement won't be an issue for all the people who have currently purchased vehicles on the order of $100K.

Oh, yeah. You'll certainly be wanting one of those cheaper, lighter, higher capacity battery packs too. Your old battery pack will have degraded somewhat. But the replacement will be almost as much as the Blue Book value of the car. So really the only sensible way to get your new battery is to get rid of the old car and get a new one.

Bet TSLA;1300793 But the replacement will be almost as much as the Blue Book value of the car. So really the only sensible way to get your new battery is to get rid of the old car and get a new one.[/QUOTE said:
that's a bit less sustainable then Elon says. I now have a 70D and would be ready to pay 10-15k to have a 95kwh battery in a 5 years. The car will be still in good condition I hope, i think it is in the interest of the planet to reuse as much as possible.

Phil

Is wrong to say the LTE service in your Model S is free for 4 years. The correct statement is that the service is "prepaid." Same for Supercharging.
Agreed about Supercharging. However, the original deal was much shorter for 3G/LTE (length depending upon whether you purchased a Sig or not), so the extra time is free because there was no additional cost.

I was told that I'd have the internet connectivity "for the life of the car" when I picked mine up.. but then again they also told me my trunk didn't have an opener handle without the interior package (but it did).

People who think they are going to be happy with their Tesla many years in the future are (wrongly, in my opinion) thinking of it as a car. It's not. It's a gadget....

What you're missing is that a used, old Tesla will still be a car, and a nice car at that. The primary function of the Model S is a vehicle, not a computer. The computers are used to enable the vehicle.

And just because we do, does not mean everyone in the world wants the latest gadget. Even the first few Model S's are holding their value (at least here). There will always be someone who just needs a nice car to drive and the Model S happens to be the best car in the word at the moment.

I would guestimate 90% of Tesla owners will have sold the car prior to 4 years anyways.

I would also guestimate that > 90% of cars that are sold will be bought by other people who want to actually drive them, as opposed to just using them for bonfires or lawn ornaments.

So the length of ownership is really irrelevant to the question of until when LTE is going to be free.

That is laughable. A decade from now a 2012 Model S will be a far more advanced and sophisticated car than half the cars people are driving in the US. It will also be just as "fast" and speed limits will be the same so newer cars will have no advantage over it. It's aluminum body will not be rusted put so that will be fine. It's motor will likely be running just fine and its power output will be the same. It's battery will still have 90% of its original capacity and if desired a new battery will be available with more capacity and at a far lower price than it is now.
It's a car, not a "gadget", and it will be just as useful a decade from now as it is today. And there will be a ready market for it.

Reactions: xyeahtony
That is laughable. A decade from now a 2012 Model S will be a far more advanced and sophisticated car than half the cars people are driving in the US.

Maybe it will be more advanced and sophisticated than half the cars people are driving, but I doubt it will be more advanced and sophisticated than half the cars people are riding in.

Mr Musk claims autonomous vehicles will be ready in 2 years. That seems rather optimistic to me. But in 10 years, cars that you must manually drive could very well be obsolete.

I would hope speed limits would continue the slow advance and perhaps accelerate. If the public could tolerate more aerodynamic cars and batteries get bigger and computers do the driving, I don't see why 100 mph wouldn't be possible in the West.

Also at some point with computers doing the driving, speed limits may become real. So 80 mph would become the norm on the East coast.

Nissan said some time limit - I think 3 years. And there are now thousands of Leafs that are past that and still connected. With the amount of data actually used and the possibility of jumping on a family plan, we aren't talking more than $10 a month anyway.

I would hope speed limits would continue the slow advance and perhaps accelerate. If the public could tolerate more aerodynamic cars and batteries get bigger and computers do the driving, I don't see why 100 mph wouldn't be possible in the West.
Given the drivers I've seen here in Texas and the number of accidents on 75 and 635 when the speed limit was raised to 70 in sections of it, well, I guess that would be one way to reduce population.

With the amount of data actually used and the possibility of jumping on a family plan, we aren't talking more than $10 a month anyway.
I hesitate to ever say "it's not the money" (because it's almost ALWAYS the money) -- but IMHO this needs to be clearly defined, especially for the benefit of M3 prospects, many of whom are working on their Total Cost of Ownership worksheets already. Not that there have been a rash of service changes that negatively impact customers (I can really only think of 2 since I took ownership, the "local Supercharging" letters and the loss of alignment [if needed] as part of the annual inspection) but I'm really just not sure what to expect from the car's cell connection or Slacker, or map updates (which are costly in some cars).

Also, yes, I realize this thread specifically says LTE but I wonder if these will be handled separately, creating a possible reason NOT to upgrade to LTE ? The network providers don't seem to care how you connect these days, and in fact want to retire their 3G now, though, so I don't see Tesla paying more (at least hopefully not so) for the LTE connections.

We can just go ahead and ask, but that might force a policy (see, childhood does prepare you for big business lol).