Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Throttling since 11/3/17

What speed on LTE using fast.com and the Tesla interface do you see

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a slight speed increase over the last few days, from 2.0 to 3.2 Mbps in Canada on Rogers network. The unplayable and unavailable stations, mostly Tunein, remain a problem. So slight speed bump here as well, but no joy on all the missing stations.

I'm on 50.2 so perhaps 50.3 may offer some improvement but as the missing stations appear and work fine over WiFi, it's unlikely a firmware update will fix the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: mazeminder
So I did some interesting tests tonight while driving home....

I found another website to do speed testing with... openspeedtest.com It seems that this site does better than fast.com.

Here are my results:
LTE 1-bar
fast.com: 780kb-1.1mb
dslreports: 6.6mb
openspeedtest.com: 5.9mb

LTE 4-bars
fast.com: 1.8mb
dslreports: 8mb

Wifi
openspeedtest.com: 6.3mb

So it seems that LTE 4-bars is roughly the same registered speed as wifi. Now, that said, I think the browser is still crappy and registering slower than the actual connection is.

EDIT:
I also found this website describing the Jasper Technologies service that Tesla is utilizing for our vehicles:
https://52.34.88.4/control-center-for-connected-cars

So I did some interesting tests tonight while driving home....

I found another website to do speed testing with... openspeedtest.com It seems that this site does better than fast.com.

Here are my results:
LTE 1-bar
fast.com: 780kb-1.1mb
dslreports: 6.6mb

LTE 4-bars

Wifi
openspeedtest.com: 6.3mb

So it seems that LTE 4-bars is roughly the same registered speed as wifi. Now, that said, I think the browser is still crappy and registering slower than the actual connection is.

EDIT:
I also found this website describing the Jasper Technologies service that Tesla is utilizing for our vehicles:
https://52.34.88.4/control-center-for-connected-cars
What causes the wide variation of reported speeds between test sites?

I’m still on firmware .42 or something because it won’t update due to a weak 12v battery (new ones are apparently backordered) but things seemed better today, at least partially. I streamed WBUR and CNN on TuneIn for most of the drive from NYC to Boston with very few buffering hiccups. And this evening I got 2.6Mb on Fast.com. But I’m still not getting Slacker search to work - “no results” for songs every time.

Hey all. Tesla just called to thank me personally. Apparently my collection of regional data in these forums combined with referencing my car's logs (since I was basically doing constant speed tests in the browser whenever I drove for 3 days straight) allowed them to source the LTE bottleneck occurring on the East Coast. They confirmed that a massive number of drivers should be fixed and are monitoring these threads for any users still stuck in the <240kbps zone.

Hey maybe they feel like hiring a Lead Android Engineer someday, though their app is pretty simple, there probably wouldn't be much to do. I am actually doing some work on my qTesla site now. Plugshare is a mess, I have removed it. I am going to add News and get the Stock page fixed hopefully.

Anyway, congratulations all. We definitely did it!

Nice going!

Did they give any details as to what the problem actually was?

Not technically, but there was some sort of bottleneck in their network architecture that was non-obvious. The regional mapping we did here combined with following my car's connection attempts was able to lead them to the source of the issue in the network topology. After identifying that bottleneck in the topology, they were extremely confident that they had just solved the speed/streaming issues for a large portion of the country. They are very grateful to the community for the help and patience with this, so I am here to pass along that thanks. :)

Here is the note on my Service Invoice:
LTE coverage tests were performed over the weekend. The modem team was able to use that data to nail down the cause of a problem that was causing LTE bottlenecks all across the east coast since mid-November 2017. Those customers should now be getting 10x data throughput. Customer is advised to monitor LTE and to contact service center is the problem reappears

Not technically, but there was some sort of bottleneck in their network architecture that was non-obvious. The regional mapping we did here combined with following my car's connection attempts was able to lead them to the source of the issue in the network topology. After identifying that bottleneck in the topology, they were extremely confident that they had just solved the speed/streaming issues for a large portion of the country. They are very grateful to the community for the help and patience with this, so I am here to pass along that thanks. :)

Thanks very much, Jared.

Wasn't there a discussion about whether there was any value to forum participants trying to figure out problems vs. leaving them to Tesla? :)