Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Throttling since 11/3/17

What speed on LTE using fast.com and the Tesla interface do you see

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As another point of reference: I drove across town (20 miles) and continually ran the Fast.Com test.
The signal strength fluctuated the whole time between 1-2 LTE bars.
Here are my results in Kbps:
96, 81, 89, 110, 87, 96, 62, 77, 48, 46, 65, 76, 42, 90, 89, 70, 87

And in my garage at home, with 3-4 WiFi 'bars', I average 2300 Kbps.

This is truly ridiculous! Especially for those who actually paid to upgrade to LTE.

I was contemplating taking my car to the service center to make sure a wire hadn't gotten loose after my LTE upgrade. I use Tune-In a lot and it constantly buffers. Maps load OK, though, so a firmware problem might make sense

Same problem with Slacker streaming for the past couple of months here too... although our 2015 Model S P85D still has the older 3G cellular module

Attachments

• IMG_4502.JPG
    IMG_4502.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 56
Oh good. I'll probably do that next time I bring it in. In hindsight do you think it was worth it? Did you see much improvement?

I'm on un-supported cars with salvage titles, so I did the upgrade myself. I'm disconnected from Tesla's network, but I do feel that the map tiles load faster and internet music is faster. The Tesla browser, however, is still a steaming pile of . . .

Reactions: bareyb
For what it's worth, I still have 3G and I'm getting between .5 and 2.0 mbps. Sometimes it's slower but generally falls into that range. Usually averages around 1.5 mbps. I've been testing it with fast.com while the car is moving and streaming of any kind is paused. Seems to me that's fast enough for Slacker.

Side note: I have not had any Loading Errors today, but I've only driven it about 8 miles. Hopefully whatever fix you guys with LTE got trickles down to us lowly original purchasers who still have 3G. ;)

As another point of reference: I drove across town (20 miles) and continually ran the Fast.Com test.
The signal strength fluctuated the whole time between 1-2 LTE bars.
Here are my results in Kbps:
96, 81, 89, 110, 87, 96, 62, 77, 48, 46, 65, 76, 42, 90, 89, 70, 87

And in my garage at home, with 3-4 WiFi 'bars', I average 2300 Kbps.

This is truly ridiculous! Especially for those who actually paid to upgrade to LTE.
As an update to this... as of this afternoon, I am still averaging 80Kbps - 190Kbps.
That said, my buddy who is still on 3G with his 2014, is averaging over 2Mbps consistently.

I called my SA at the SC and he plans to pull the logs and report it. They way want me to bring the car in. He was very adamant about contacting him, as opposed to the support e-mail. He said they are not doing very well with addressing or communicating issues.

I was still getting the loading errors today. What's odd is that I'm not seeing any delay in map tiles loading.

I just don't understand how Tesla can't seem to get the media features sorted.

I also don't understand why Tesla doesn't just toss a large hard drive in their vehicles and utilize a local cache for Slacker. The Slacker playlists are not deep at all. They could just have the most listened to stations in each car cached locally and even have an option to have the cache updated overnight over wifi.

Oh good. I'll probably do that next time I bring it in. In hindsight do you think it was worth it? Did you see much improvement?

It’s an easy upgrade - just make sure they don’t dent or otherwise tweak the metal bezel/trim pieces around the touchscreen in the process. And if they do, insist those pieces be replaced on their dime. Taking pictures inside and out before and after a service visit is time well spent.

Anyway, after I had this upgrade done for the Dec 2014 car, the first 8 hours weren’t great - car was disconnected from the mothership for most of that time - but after a couple of resets, all was well.

Performance-wise, was a huge difference. Which is to say the difference between functional and non-functional Slacker, and considerably faster map tile refreshes. Lastly, I noted better connectivity in more places when on the road - which I didn’t expect.

Reactions: bareyb