Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Throttling since 11/3/17

What speed on LTE using fast.com and the Tesla interface do you see

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, my car has LTE via a retrofit. The loaner car also has LTE.

Tesla updated the FW in my car to 2017.48 but it does not correct the problem. Tesla's solution is to use your cellphone to make a hotspot to which the car connects via wifi. However, there Is an issue with this, besides the obvious issue of burning thru your data plan. When you put the car in Drive, the car switches from the wifi connection to LTE. So you have to wait to you are driving and then connect the car to your cellphone. You stay in wifi until you put the car in Park and again place the car in Drive from Park.

• Helpful
Reactions: bak_phy
Yes, my car has LTE via a retrofit. The loaner car also has LTE.

Tesla updated the FW in my car to 2017.48 but it does not correct the problem. Tesla's solution is to use your cellphone to make a hotspot to which the car connects via wifi. However, there Is an issue with this, besides the obvious issue of burning thru your data plan. When you put the car in Drive, the car switches from the wifi connection to LTE. So you have to wait to you are driving and then connect the car to your cellphone. You stay in wifi until you put the car in Park and again place the car in Drive from Park.

For a software central company that makes cars that seems a little silly

For a software central company that makes cars that seems a little silly

Yup. Ostensibly, it was to force the car to automatically disconnect from your home wifi as you drove away from your house. Otherwise, it would try and stay connected but get no signal.

You'd think a car that is 100% GPS aware would only trigger this "feature" when you're actually parked at your house. Guess not. :rolleyes:

I received this email from Tesla

“We are experiencing a nationwide issue with slacker and tunein. The Engineers are fixing this issues as we speak. The most updated ETA is this will be completely fixed by the end of the year. ”
That doesn't explain the "Loading Errors" I get with USB. I'm not the only one either.... Hopefully whatever fix they come up with fixes that issue too...

Anyone else see this? In the last week, when I get into the car, it thinks it's making a BT cell phone call to itself. It appears in the IC that a call is in progress, and the "end call" button doesn't work. My phone isn't making a call, but the car thinks there's a call in progress. I'll try to video it next time. It's happened about 8 or 10 times now. Really strange.

And I'm getting "Loading Errors" on Slacker, USB, and my iPhone. I think it has something to do with loading the album art and/or other metadata from a central server which is failing and triggering a cascading error path.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the processing power of the internal PC or at least allocated resources to internet bandwith. At the same time i wouldnt be suprised if its throttled. Could be AT&Ts doing as well.

Nope, it’s not processing. When on WiFi, song downloads are nearly instantaneous, just as they used to be on LTE. It is so completely obviously a bandwidth issue, combined with a media player that apparently was never tested for error handling. So why is it so hard for them to fix it? Perhaps it is on the AT&T side and there’s some kind of negotiation going on.

a media player that apparently was never tested for error handling
Exactly. The Slacker issue appears to be a bandwidth issue. However, this has exposed some issues with the media player software as well. These loading errors have resulted in the MCU restarting several times in my car. That should not be able to happen. An error loading a song should not be able to take down the entire MCU. Basic error handling appears to be nonexistent in this area.

I'm not sure that I see why the media player has to be involved. Isn't the low bandwidth enough to cause all of these issues?
See above. It seems they have two issues they need to solve.

• Informative
Reactions: bak_phy
Anyone else see this? In the last week, when I get into the car, it thinks it's making a BT cell phone call to itself. It appears in the IC that a call is in progress, and the "end call" button doesn't work. My phone isn't making a call, but the car thinks there's a call in progress. I'll try to video it next time. It's happened about 8 or 10 times now. Really strange.

I had this last year. Replacing my phone eliminated the problem. Upgraded from a iPhone 6 to a 7, both running latest version of iOS. There are threads about this problem. It seems unrelated to the recent slowness.

Exactly. The Slacker issue appears to be a bandwidth issue. However, this has exposed some issues with the media player software as well. These loading errors have resulted in the MCU restarting several times in my car. That should not be able to happen. An error loading a song should not be able to take down the entire MCU. Basic error handling appears to be nonexistent in this area.

See above. It seems they have two issues they need to solve.
Would it be possible to file a class action lawsuit... I am sick of this crap on a 100k car.

It didn’t make any sense to me either. I wasn’t suggesting to replace the phone. I had this problem, switched phones for other reasons, and problem disappeared. Both were running same version of iOS (10.6 or so) so that wasn’t the issue.

Would it be possible to file a class action lawsuit...
I doubt it would be worth the time or get anywhere. Personally, I think in the long run either Tesla is gonna get their crap sorted and stupid issues like this will be a thing of the past or they'll get stomped on by competition as models are released over the next decade and non-tesla charging networks are expanded. I feel like it could go either way at this point. That said, these non-critical but stupid issues aren't helping with brand loyalty.

I am sick of this crap on a 100k car.
Agreed.