TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LTE Upgrade, Did YOU Do It?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tanner, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tanner

tanner Active Member

3G is INSANELY SLOW - maps take FOREVER to load and I want to upgrade mine to LTE... Has anyone done it? :confused:
    $500 doesn't seem bad, wish they had stuck to Elon's initial "it'll be a free upgrade" tweet, but whatever. :biggrin:

2. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

I did it on my S85. I'm a complete tech geek, so I did notice a significant speed difference. To me, totally worth the $500. (I'm in socal too)

3. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Did it on both cars. Well worth it in my opinion

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I did it too. Well worth it.

5. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I will do it when my car is in for the annual in March.

6. tanner

tanner Active Member

Nice, I'm guessing maps load much faster?

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you call them in advance to tell them you want to have it done during your appointment :)

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes. Everything that goes over the air works faster.

8. Mike K

Mike K Member

I can't justify the expense. 3G works well enough in SoCal and I can tether to my phone if I absolutely need anything faster. If they were giving me a hotspot I'd be singing a different tune.

9. Jool

Jool Member

Had to use 3G in a loaner car and it was waaaayyyy slower than my LTE equipped car. Maps and Slacker songs load way faster with LTE!

10. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

I did it and would do it again in a heart beat. sooner or later your going to do it so why not now and enjoy

11. mhs

mhs Member

I highly recommend AGAINST it! Basically my car has been useless since I "upgraded" to LTE.

In the first 10 months of ownership (using 3G) I think my internet music stopped playing 3 times and a GPS map tile would fail to load at a frequency of every week or two.

Now that I "upgraded" to LTE the car is useless. In the morning it takes 10 minutes for the LTE modem to find service. This is not an exaggeration. I literally watch the trip computer and wait for 10 minutes. So now most days when I need to use GPS to get to an appointment I just drive my Ford). Once the Tesla finds LTE service, the map tiles will fail to load a handful of times per trip. Also I switched back to FM radio because the Internet radio frequently stops in the middle of a song, or the car will simply just stop playing music displaying a "cannot load next track" error.

BTW all of this happens with 2 to 4 bars of LTE service. This is in the Washington DC / Annapolis MD areas, which has had LTE service for 5 years. And yes I do have my energy / always connected settings set correctly. This behavior happens not just my first drive of the day but subsequent trips as well, although subsequent trips can find LTE service in as quickly as 4 minutes.

So unless you want to spend $500 to make your car useless, I would tell you to stick to 3G. After all does it really matter how quick the map tiles load and the radio buffer fills? Stick with reliability and usability.

12. Mike K

Mike K Member

You understand that's not the way it's supposed to operate, right? Why not go and get it fixed?

13. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

I often drive 7 miles from my farm to Middleburg, the nearest town. I have LTE reception at the farm, and there is reception in Middleburg, but a big dropout down to 3G in between. I got the LTE upgrade and found it switches modes between LTE and 3G with long lags, so it spends a lot of time in the wrong mode. The result is that I almost cannot use slacker driving to town, where I could before. So for me, the upgrade was a huge mistake which has made internet data almost useless, but that's because I live in fringe area. Driving nearer to Washington DC it works fine. So my advice is to make sure you have adequate service where you live.

- - - Updated - - -

I just read your post after making mine. My experience is like yours.

14. JeffS

JeffS Member

I did not, but might if the browser gets some attention. I have a 4G LTE hotspot and connect via WiFi to that while driving. So I have a great feel for how the two compare. Most of the lag is that browser. I feel lile putting 4G LTE in my car is about as big a difference maker as putting a K&N air filter on it.

Browser bad. Very bad.

15. mhs

mhs Member

I agree. After the SC had me do various reboots, they have been "working" on this for 3 weeks now, supposedly from remote. (In other words, I'm my opinion they aren't interested).

I wonder how much they are going to charge me to put 3G back?

16. RAW84

RAW84 Member

I didn't do it. Maps is pretty much the only thing I use it for and 3G is adequate in my area. Sure LTE would be better, but not worth it for the money and the risk of dealing with issues stated in here

17. jamtek

jamtek Member

I did the LTE upgrade about three months ago and it is still working great! Definitely noticeable map loading improvement and Slacker functionality. I swear the audio sounds better too. Maybe the car even drives faster??

All kidding aside well worth the $500 IMHO.

18. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

why not use your phones gps?

19. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

Wow, had no idea some were having such problems. I live in a major metropolitan area and I did the LTE upgrade on our '13 P85; much faster map loads and overall performance.

Highly recommended upgrade and at a somewhat reasonable cost.

I too wish the browser was far better/faster, but WHEN it is upgraded I'll be ready to go.

20. shelbri

shelbri Member

Very interesting. I have 3G and drove down to FL last Sat. When I went through the DC area to Glen Allen there was horrible traffic and my Nav would not refresh. Tiles would not redraw. I called Tesla and will have it checked next week. Now I'm wondering if it was just the area and nothing to do with my car. I switched to Wifi via a hotspot device using LTE and all worked fine post Glen Allen. Heading back up starting tomorrow so I will see if 3G or LTE hotspot works better.