Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Upgrade, Did YOU Do It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although most say it has no effect on the browser, I was shocked yesterday playing with my saved favorites on the web to see they were markedly faster unloading and changing. Might have been the firmware upgrade? But definitely faster than when I took delivery last April.

Although most say it has no effect on the browser, I was shocked yesterday playing with my saved favorites on the web to see they were markedly faster unloading and changing. Might have been the firmware upgrade? But definitely faster than when I took delivery last April.

There are three things here:

1. LTE hardware.

2. Cellular networks are getting faster and have better coverage.

3. Firmware upgrade also rebooted everything and cleared out any memory fragmentation (and may have some optimizations as well).

I received delivery of my MS 70 on 12/23 and during my walk-through at the service station noticed it already had LTE to my surprise. I wasn't aware people were paying to upgrade from 3G to LTE. I was also told that I already have the hardware for autopilot, but of course I would have to pay for the software.

I received delivery of my MS 70 on 12/23 and during my walk-through at the service station noticed it already had LTE to my surprise. I wasn't aware people were paying to upgrade from 3G to LTE. I was also told that I already have the hardware for autopilot, but of course I would have to pay for the software.
Why were you surprised? LTE has been included rather than 3G in all cars built since about June.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Can I assume that use of LTE data services is included and doesn't require a separate paid subscription?
Right. Tesla says for 4 years, no one knows what will happen after that. Probably not even Tesla.

I suspect there were changes in wiring harness design over time. Some, like me, had a new wiring harness as part of LTE upgrade. The result, fir me anyway, was faster browser response (still not blazing speed), better internet sound quality and also the normal LTE vs 3G receptivity improvements. I a m quite pleased with the upgrade.

I suspect there were changes in wiring harness design over time. Some, like me, had a new wiring harness as part of LTE upgrade. The result, fir me anyway, was faster browser response (still not blazing speed), better internet sound quality and also the normal LTE vs 3G receptivity improvements. I a m quite pleased with the upgrade.
They told me all they do is upgrade the modem and swap the sim.

I wasn't aware. Beginning of this thread talked about paying for the LTE upgrade.
You pay for the hardware upgrade (assuming your car didn't come with LTE).

- - - Updated - - -

They told me all they do is upgrade the modem and swap the sim.
I think this depends on when your car was built and what configuration you have. Mine was just the module and the SIM swap.

I did it as it came out a week after I got my car and kind of irked me out a bit that my fancy new car had a cell radio older than my ancient iphone 4S...

But like others have said it does provide faster connectivity especially useful with the maps.

I did it as it came out a week after I got my car and kind of irked me out a bit that my fancy new car had a cell radio older than my ancient iphone 4S...

But like others have said it does provide faster connectivity especially useful with the maps.

I'm getting a cpo delivered and the car is 2 years old. as per the saleman the free 4 years start from the day the car is registered. this would mean I have 2 years left and was wondering if and when I upgrade to the 4g modem: does that reset the years also to 4 or continue to have only 2 years left?

thanks

I'm getting a cpo delivered and the car is 2 years old. as per the saleman the free 4 years start from the day the car is registered. this would mean I have 2 years left and was wondering if and when I upgrade to the 4g modem: does that reset the years also to 4 or continue to have only 2 years left?

thanks
The four years starts Jan 2014 or when the car is registered whichever is later.

The four years starts Jan 2014 or when the car is registered whichever is later.

good news! the 4yr/50k warrantee with cpo vehicles also includes 4 years of internet! well worth doing the lte/4g upgrade!

I do have a question though. people are saying the maps are loading faster after having the 4g/lte upgrades performed. I don't understand why that would effect maps since the maps work off the gps chips, not the cellular/network chips. if that was actually the case then your maps wont work after 4 years. am I correct?

I do have a question though. people are saying the maps are loading faster after having the 4g/lte upgrades performed. I don't understand why that would effect maps since the maps work off the gps chips, not the cellular/network chips. if that was actually the case then your maps wont work after 4 years. am I correct?

Not quite. The "gps chips"don't provice the maps and navigation data. The only thing the "gps chips" provide to you is your location (latitude, longitude, altitude, and time). That's it. No maps, no data, etc. All the rest of that information is provided over the 3G/LTE connection. So yes, the LTE connection will provide much faster map loading from Google. Also, there's a difference -- what will stop working after 4 years (if you don't sign up for an LTE subscription) are the other customer services -- music streaming, web browser, etc... all non-essentials for car operation. If you have navigation, I'm pretty sure the maps will be included and not part of the customer subscription. Tesla will always need some level of cellular access to the car. That won't go away if you don't pay for access. You're just paying for "extra" access.