Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Upgrade, Did YOU Do It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a 2015 85D that was manufactured around March/April 2015 before Tesla rolled out LTE modems. Does anyone know if Tesla upgrades the modems as part of the CPO process? If not, do you have the option of paying the $500 fee before delivery to have it installed?

No, AFAIK they don't automatically upgrade CPOS to LTE. You can always ask them to do the upgrade as part of delivery (you'll have to pay the $500), or just get it done later at your local service center sometime after delivery. That's what I would do just not to delay delivery by a day or five, or how ever long it takes for them to get to it. In the mean time, 3G works pretty well. The only real places that LTE improves things is with the Nav screen/tile redraws. It's not going to change the browser performance. Slacker might be a little better.

No, AFAIK they don't automatically upgrade CPOS to LTE. You can always ask them to do the upgrade as part of delivery (you'll have to pay the $500), or just get it done later at your local service center sometime after delivery. That's what I would do just not to delay delivery by a day or five, or how ever long it takes for them to get to it. In the mean time, 3G works pretty well. The only real places that LTE improves things is with the Nav screen/tile redraws. It's not going to change the browser performance. Slacker might be a little better.

Thanks. I am more concerned about Slacker and streaming quality, buffering, etc. I can't picture 3G working out well streaming slacker in NY as those speeds are typically so saturated. I will speak to my service advisor next week about this. I'd rather have it bundled into my financing rather than paying later.

AT&T supposedly is repurposing 3G installations into LTE....if true, LTE is worth it....I did it just to be sure to have the best connection wherever I am, sometimes connection is important - I've had a few problems where remote access to logs was very helpful...

Reactions: vdiv
As part of my last service appointment (LCD screen was getting replaced because of the delaminating "leak" problem), I had asked about the possibility of installing the LTE upgrade on my 2012 Model S (CPO). The technician later texted me and said it would be a $500 upgrade, and asked if I wanted to have it done. I told him that it was okay, and that I would pass on the upgrade. When I received my car back, I saw that they went ahead and upgraded me to LTE anyways without charge! I haven't really noticed a massive improvement in speed/performance in normal use of the audio steaming and navigation, but all the same, it was a a very nice (and unexpected) gesture by my local service center, and further cements my loyalty to Tesla and my local service center.

Reactions: RAW84
The LTE upgrade should make more of a difference once they roll oit 8.1 in late Jan with the Linux kernel browser update to improve browser speed.

Also at one point I read that there is a way to boost the 4G signal tho when I had researched that I remembered issues with overheating or maybe radiation or something

The LTE upgrade should make more of a difference once they roll oit 8.1 in late Jan with the Linux kernel browser update to improve browser speed.

8.1 is anticipated to have a new Linux kernel. It's also anticipated to have a new Web browser. Whether we get one or the other or both, well, we'll just need to see. Whether 8.1 significantly improves the Web browsing experience, we'll just need to see that too. (If there's one theme to this paragraph, it's "don't get your hopes too high".)

But there's no such thing as a "Linux kernel browser". In any Linux-based system (such as the CID), the kernel and the Web browser are different pieces of software.

Bruce.

PS. And to the original topic, I did the LTE upgrade to improve coverage in some marginal areas. I believe it did that.

As part of my last service appointment (LCD screen was getting replaced because of the delaminating "leak" problem), I had asked about the possibility of installing the LTE upgrade on my 2012 Model S (CPO). The technician later texted me and said it would be a $500 upgrade, and asked if I wanted to have it done. I told him that it was okay, and that I would pass on the upgrade. When I received my car back, I saw that they went ahead and upgraded me to LTE anyways without charge! I haven't really noticed a massive improvement in speed/performance in normal use of the audio steaming and navigation, but all the same, it was a a very nice (and unexpected) gesture by my local service center, and further cements my loyalty to Tesla and my local service center.

I think I'll try this at my service appointment tomorrow lol

but all the same, it was a a very nice (and unexpected) gesture by my local service center, and further cements my loyalty to Tesla and my local service cent

I'm going to guess that the LTE daughter board was already part of the new MCU replacement module, and it would have been more work to downgrade you to the old 3G board, so they just left it.

On the contrary, I think they were trying to get you to cough up $500 for the upgrade they already knew was included.

Reactions: vdiv