Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's confusing at best on that Canadian receipt! Not because it's French :tongue: I can handle that, but...

Item 4 lists all the parts needed for the job. And "goodwill" brings that to zero.

Item 3 has a "package price" says "no labor", so what's that?

LTE3.png
LTE4.png

The bottom line is this.... we know (several examples in this thread) Tesla set a $500 USD price.

xe.com USD$500 = CAD$687 (at this moment) + 5% tax where I live. ... CAD$720

I'm being charged $750

Close enough. I'm not that cheap to complain!

I'm not getting charged any Ranger fee, and I'm well outside the zone.

Last edited:
...dude, we know this kit of parts is more than $100

Someone played you a favor, that I doubt would replicated easily outside of your experience. Good on you! But not a reasonable benchmark for others.

I don't think there is any reason to suggest that Hans should be thinking that the pricing he received was some sort of favor.

We've always known that labor was far and away the larger component in the cost of the upgrade. I think it is entirely plausible that the cost of the parts is only about $100. Your post makes it sound like Hans should have realized that pricing he received wouldn't be available to others. I don't think there is any way he could possibly know or expect that, and I don't even think he should. I think we should instead be thanking him for sharing.

I don't think there is any reason to suggest that Hans should be thinking that the pricing he received was some sort of favor.

We've always known that labor was far and away the larger component in the cost of the upgrade. I think it is entirely plausible that the cost of the parts is only about $100. Your post makes it sound like Hans should have realized that pricing he received wouldn't be available to others. I don't think there is any way he could possibly know or expect that, and I don't even think he should. I think we should instead be thanking him for sharing.

I have no idea if my price is something that others can get. It was less than I expected to pay. I was expecting the $500 flat rate. The service guy at the Palo Alto service center also made a comment about it being less than he expected but he never said "we did you a favor" or "this is less than other people pay". Could have just as easily been than they reduced the price and I got the new price. I have no connection with Tesla that would get me any special treatment other than being an early adopter of the Model S and putting my $5000 deposit down several years before the first cars were delivered.

Here is the parts and labor break down if anyone can make sense of it.

20160218_213015.jpg

I have no idea if my price is something that others can get. It was less than I expected to pay. I was expecting the $500 flat rate. The service guy at the Palo Alto service center also made a comment about it being less than he expected but he never said "we did you a favor" or "this is less than other people pay". Could have just as easily been than they reduced the price and I got the new price. I have no connection with Tesla that would get me any special treatment other than being an early adopter of the Model S and putting my $5000 deposit down several years before the first cars were delivered.

Here is the parts and labor break down if anyone can make sense of it.

View attachment 111831

...a little less than I paid at Palo Alto a couple of months ago to do my 2013 S85...would need to check my repair order, but maybe the parts are a bit cheaper....

Heh. Go figure. I recall paying a flat $500. Then again, it was what, 6 months ago? Live and learn. Drove a loaner recently with 3G - it was flat out unusable in my 'hood. No voice commands, no Slacker, not a hope of loading a web page the first time. LTE's not quick, but it's not dog slow and unusable either. Was happy to spend the $500 for LTE and the loaner was a nice reminder of that - along with the night-and-day differences between AP and non-AP.

ATT is testing 5G this year. While it's doubtful we'll see 5G radios in the first Model 3s, it's kinda cool to know what's coming down the pike in time. Lag-free communications, relatively speaking - or at least the bottleneck will shift :).

I can confirm that the parts are around $100 US and the upgrade is relatively easy to do. As long as you have the ability to pull the MCU out. Steps include:

Convince Service Center you know what you are doing
Buy parts only

Remove dash trim
Remove MCU from dash
Remove Screen from MCU
Install the SIM Card on LTE board
Replace 3G board with LTE board
Connect 3 antena cables
Reassemble

Attached is images of the 3G and LTE cards.

You may need to run an update on your system to initialize the board. The service center thought this was needed with all component updates...I however, did not need to perform a update.

I'll try to pull together a how to video. Maybe I'll get it done faster than part 3 of the battery series....

Attachments

• 3G-Card.png
    3G-Card.png
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • LTE-Card.png
    LTE-Card.png
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • Informative
Reactions: vdiv
If doing it yourself, you might want to pick up new chrome trim while you are at it. It's very easy to dent them when taking the MCU out.

mine is dented from too many non Luda yet still super fun launches where my iPhone also launched out of the cup holder and dented the chrome trim. how much does said chrome trim cost? I was probably one of the last May 2015 built S85D that shipped with 3G instead of LTE but have resisted upgrading bc i figure when Tesla starts charging a monthly fee for the internet service in the car I will just tether the car to my phone. But I might upgrade the LTE as an excuse to change the chrome trim around the 17 inch screen.

on a side note, does anyone know if the LTE chip used in the Tesla vehicles covers most of the LTE bands wold wide, or is it like the old iPhone 5 where depending on what part of the world you were in you had to get a specific model for your region?

I thought you could no longer tether with the car in motion, i.e. wi-fi will no longer connect while car is not in Park.

I heard the same thing but my understanding is that you must do the "pairing" to the wifi network while in park but once once u are connected you can drive off and it works. don't quote me on this tho as I have heard conflicting things.

From my somewhat limited testing the car will drop its wifi connection when you shift out of park. But if you reconnect to wifi after you are in drive then it will stay connected.

Correct. And it remembers the password, so you just need to click 3G/4G/LTE and click the wifi network once you are out of park. While I get this is annoying for some, I like that my car no longer plays only the first 10-15 seconds of a Slacker song because I drove off too soon before Slacker got much buffer built.