Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of 10/27, the Centinela service center in LA is still not performing LTE upgrades pending further software/hardware testing and revision due to continuing issues. Are other service centers saying the same thing?
The Houston Westchase SC installed it on my March 2014 P85 last Friday (10/23/2015) without any questions or warnings about potential issues. Connectivity since the upgrade has been excellent. FWIW, I had received 7.0 OTA the day before the service appointment.

I did have one issue on my last trip. When going through an area of poor/no reception, the connection wouldn't come back until after a reboot--even when the ATT phone showed that it was back in a good reception area. Note that this doesn't happen when going from a good reception area to zero service quickly (like a parking garage). My thought is that the phone tries a couple of times and then backs off for longer and longer periods in areas of weak reception. By the time you get back in a good reception area the back off time is now an hour or so.

Connectivity doesn't appear as good under v7 as it did under v6.2. Under 6.2, I had more LTE bars everywhere. After upgrading to v7, I have fewer bars and it goes down to 1 bar in locations where I previously had at least 3 or 4 bars. Perhaps 6.2 wasn't showing the real signal strength and 7 is?

Connectivity doesn't appear as good under v7 as it did under v6.2. Under 6.2, I had more LTE bars everywhere. After upgrading to v7, I have fewer bars and it goes down to 1 bar in locations where I previously had at least 3 or 4 bars. Perhaps 6.2 wasn't showing the real signal strength and 7 is?

I think it may have been a little overzealous with the bars. Watch the caching, it's just as fast. I think they just more accurately report the signal strength. Remember, the strength isn't always about your ability to receive (as the tower has more power), it's about your ability to transmit the tower (less power).

Since my LTE upgrade last week, the verbal navigation randomly "clips" the last 2-3 words - i.e., instead of hearing "...exit fifteen B" you hear "...exit fith".

VIN 40XXX - S85

I'm presently visiting the Boston area and the Dedham SC was able to replicate the problem, but so far are baffled by it.

I've had this problem since getting 2.7.77 installed on my Classic P85. It is not related to the LTE upgrade. I had that done months ago and had no issues with clipping under 6.2. The "clipping" started once V7 (2.7.77) was installed. I notified Tesla about it a week or so ago. They informed me they are aware of the issue, and that it will be fixed in an update to be released "soon".

Another bug seems to be associated with the heat. The heater will not blow hot air unless the temperature setting is set to HI. Tesla said this is a known issue that will be corrected in the same update.

Trying to decide if I should do the LTE upgrade, my navigation screen seems flakey since the 7 firmware. When I lose the nav screen sometimes it takes 5 to 10 minutes to get the screen back even with 5 bars on 3G. Would LTE make the nav react faster and what are the advantages.

Got the LTE upgrade Friday and lost all connections to the car other than WiFi. My car even still thinks it is at the Service Center. I have noted while driving around that although most of the time I have no signal level, I sometimes get a one or 2 bar 3g signal and the LTE even lights now and then. During these brief times when I get some signal, I get partial traffic updates on the main screen map.

Got the LTE upgrade Friday and lost all connections to the car other than WiFi. My car even still thinks it is at the Service Center. I have noted while driving around that although most of the time I have no signal level, I sometimes get a one or 2 bar 3g signal and the LTE even lights now and then. During these brief times when I get some signal, I get partial traffic updates on the main screen map.

See post #12 in this thread. I had the same issue with no GPS connectivity after my LTE upgrade:

I started a thread about a GPS issue (no GPS) that I'm reasonably certain is directly related to my LTE upgrade. (The car came back from the service center with no GPS connectivity.)

No GPS After LTE Upgrade (And Other Work On Car)

I expect this is probably a "one-off" kind of thing, though.

I was thinking about upgrading my 3G to LTE in my 2013 P85, and I'm wondering if those of you who have done it are still having problems. The main reason I want to upgrade is to improve Slacker and Tuned-In performance. I have been getting a lot of "loading errors" lately.

I have a 2016, with LTE. It drops all the time, get 1 or 2 bars of Wi-Fi when parked 10 feet from my router. And the speed runs 125 to 200kbs on its own, and 1 mbs connected to my home wifi--when it connects. I was told by the Atlanta SC rep that was normal, nothing he could do. We parked right outside near his office door, and it wouldn't pick up their WiFi either. Get this, He said "that is normal, and internet and monitor was really for the service technicians--not really to be used by customers" I had to call him on that one. Do not go to the Atlanta SC unless it's a mechanical problem, and you want somebody try to sell you tires when you don't need them.