Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade vs MCU upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had also asked about recalls 18V-204 (steering wheel rack aluminum bolts) and 21V035 (eMMC) that show up as needed when I do a vin recall search at Tesla Service, their reply was

"I do not see any active recalls at thisfor your vehicle. The service bulletins mentioned applied to vehicles within warranty that were experiencing symptoms assiciated with the bulletin and did not pertain to all vehicles or one's out of warranty. The reference bulletins that were put in place as maintenance for vehicles experiencing within warranty steering wheel clicking at low speeds"

I wasn't aware that recalls were not covered once the vehicles are out of warranty like my 2013 MS P85+, the previous owner never took it in or checked for recalls while the car was under warranty.

The 18V-204 recall was a voluntary safety recall for certain Model S vehicles built before April 2016.

If Recalls | NHTSA shows it as an outstanding safety recall for your VIN#, then being out of warranty is irrelevant. The safety recalls apply to VIN's and I believe cover the cars up to 15 years old.

Reactions: ucmndd
Congratulations on the upgrade!

I'm in the same boat as you.
As some of the other members know, my 2014 85 has a completely non-functional Bluetooth & Wireless card.
They both do nothing at all. Useless features unfortunately. And I also have a 3G modem.

When the time is right, I'll shell out 1,500 for the MCU2, but that time isn't anywhere in the near future.

I also have some of the adhesive showing up on both sides of the driver screen behind the steering wheel. Whatever. I'll deal with it.
I know your message is old, but in my case the leaking/bubbling around the screen dripped down into the car as well as ruined the heater and a/c. ($3000 fix) If you have the start of bubbling/leaking I highly recommend doing the infotainment upgrade before the leaking causes further damage.

I know your message is old, but in my case the leaking/bubbling around the screen dripped down into the car as well as ruined the heater and a/c. ($3000 fix) If you have the start of bubbling/leaking I highly recommend doing the infotainment upgrade before the leaking causes further damage.
Well, it's a good thing I upgraded it last month then.
$3,000 fix versus $1,500 fix.
Nah.
I might have lucked out on this one.

Side note: they left the radio functional!
I swear I did not pay for that.

When was LTE standard in the model s? My car is an 11/2015 sold in 6/2016 and has the LTE “upgrade”. Wondering if Tesla did this before the car was sold or if it was afterwards

When was LTE standard in the model s? My car is an 11/2015 sold in 6/2016 and has the LTE “upgrade”. Wondering if Tesla did this before the car was sold or if it was afterwards
I think I just answered my own question. Regardless, I have extended warranty through June 2024 so I’m hoping the screen dumps on its own rather than pay $2200 for mcu2 upgrade 8F05AC72-459E-466C-AC63-0344B225020B.jpeg

Reactions: Chris Redfield