Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE vs Wifi data connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last couple months I've noticed my Tesla App at home is slow to connect to the car even though the wifi connection in the garage is strong and fast. I decided to forget/remove the wifi network connectivity on the car and rely on the car's LTE. I've noticed the Tesla App connects to my Model Y a lot quicker when it's connected to LTE versus Wifi. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Well one thing to consider, is that when you say wifi is strong and fast, you are probably measuring from your phone, while in your hand.... If you are using a flagship phone, it will have a nice mimo antenna, not sure what kind of antenna the Tesla is using... But it is in the passenger side mirror... So check to make sure you didn't park next to like a big metal filing cabinet or something.

Funny as soon as I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought this would be about Tesla Internet radio LTE vs smartphone Wifi.

I've always attributed slow connection of the Tesla app to my M3 when its sitting in my garage as the car needing to wake from sleep since I rarely drive. By "slow" it takes about 5-10 seconds. Much quicker if I recently drove somewhere.

Reactions: Mercedes fan
I don't know about faster, but if you disconnect wifi I don't think you'll get any software updates.
It still searches and let’s you know you have an update waiting and to connect to wifi. I just connect the wifi for the update and then forget the network after and goes back to lte. Also I noticed by leaving the Tesla always on lte, my TuneIn radio is more responsive and doesn’t cut out during a wifi to lte switch anymore