TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LTE wait list duration?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by anselor, Jan 8, 2016.

1. anselor

anselor Member

Those of you that have gotten the LTE upgrade, how long did you have to wait to schedule your install?

I contacted my SC back in October about getting the LTE upgrade. They told me I'd be added to the wait list and they would contact me when it's available.
    I'm curious how long everyone else has had to wait; is 3 months normal?

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I had to initially wait about 5 weeks, but that was because the LTE upgrade was new and not released yet at the time. Maybe you should call the service center again and ask, because you may have been forgotten?

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

all service centers are not equal in their level of service, maybe your SC is busier than others, are you flexible? try calling another one and see if they schedule is more open.

4. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

I talked with someone in syosset and basically had no clue what I was talking about. I had to educate him on what it is and how much it costs. No guess they haven't done many yet.

5. swegman

swegman Member

I had it done about 1 week after speaking to the SC.

6. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

I waited one week for my appointment, I had the LTE upgrade done at the Fremont SC

7. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Definitely sounds service center dependent. I scheduled my 3y service for late Feb and asked them to do the LTE upgrade at that time, and I was informed that it would be no problem to do so then. Of course, that was six weeks away from when I requested it.:smile:

8. NEGA S85

NEGA S85 New Member

I had not heard about a wait list. I scheduled annual service with Decatur, GA SC late Nov. but pickup service was only available for Jan 7. I requested LTE and it was installed when I picked it up yesterday. It is a big improvement for map loading. Service advisor said it was the thing more customers were happy about of any updates they had done.

9. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I am having it done the first week of March when the car is in for the annual service.

10. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

How much does it cost for the LTE upgrade? I assume that the newer model MS's already have LTE?

11. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

for my P85D delivered 2/15 the LTE upgrade cost me $456.34

12. theslimshadyist

LTE's been around for years, shocked they decided to go with 3G.

13. anselor

anselor Member

The Model S was delivered in 2012 so most of the design for the electronics would've been finalized in 2011 at the latest. The LTE rollout in the US started in late 2011. It's highly unlikely that there would have been LTE modems hardened for automotive platforms on the market back then.

14. theslimshadyist

Ok, that explains it. For some reason I was thinking it was a 2014.