TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lubbock Supercharger

Discussion in 'Texas' started by timpierc, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. timpierc

timpierc Member

Makes about as good of sense as any I can think of. You can charge before hopping on HW 84 if you're road tripping to New Mexico.

2. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Has construction started on the Lubbock superchargers? Picking up my model 3 in a couple of weeks and planning a road trip. A quick charge in Lubbock would save a lot of miles.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

Which way are you heading? Have you checked plugshare? There are a few HPWC available... not as fast as a Supercharger but might save you a detour. If you're passing through Andrews or Eunice I can probably set something up for you.

I've charged at the loop 289 RV park a couple times. Movies are within 'walking distance'... so that's another option...

4. reddy

reddy Member

I have been checking with Lubbock on permits. None issued so far. The only information I've seen was the utility survey at the Buddy Holly Center.

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Yeah, give us a clue where you are traveling to/from and we can often help with routing or charging suggestions.. We can't help in building a Supercharger, or there would be a LOT more of them... :p

6. Rmk1

Rmk1 Member

Anyone have an updates on the Lubbock Charger ?

7. reddy

reddy Member

No permit has been issued as of yesterday. I check with them frequently, at least weekly.

If you are in Lubbock, you might check the Buddy Holly center for any activity periodically.

Sometimes you will see paint markers on the grass or asphalt, or Dig Tess flags even before the final permit is issued.

Or even better, ask the Buddy Holly people if they know anything.

8. Rmk1

Rmk1 Member

I do live in Lubbock, I will go by what I have a chance and look for any signs of activity.

• Like x 1
  9. HillCountryFun

See anything?

10. Rmk1

Rmk1 Member

Went and checked the Buddy Holly area and no sign of anything as of last week

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. reddy

reddy Member

And no permits, and no Dig TESS activity either.

There were 3 new locations today in Texas for Dig Tess, but not Lubbock or Wichita Falls where we need them most.

12. HillCountryFun

Thanks for checking RMK...it's been almost a couple of months, is it worth checking again?

13. Rmk1

Rmk1 Member

Well I know that the new BestBuy has 30 amp chargepoint. Must have an account but it was free when i tried.

Also the Overton Hotel is now has 2 tesla destination charges.

But no news locally on the supercharger. Will update if I’m down that way and can check.

14. reddy

reddy Member

It's worth checking at the Buddy Holly center and see if they know anything.

I check the Lubbock permits and Dig Tess reports about twice a week. Nothing on either of them as of today.

• Informative x 2
  15. HillCountryFun

Thanks for the info around additional Level 2 chargers, good to know! Thanks again for checking on the Supercharger -

16. HillCountryFun

Thanks for the update, hard to imagine that the hometown of Texas Tech University is not going to get their Supercharger in 2018!

17. reddy

reddy Member

What's hard to believe is that such a big college town has so few chargers, period. Look at Plugshare. Amarillo has at least triple the number of destination chargers. Puts Lubbock to shame.

18. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

As pure speculation, it may have something to do with either the local electrical utility or the planning/zoning boards. Either technical or extra regulatory barriers could make it significantly harder to get them installed. Not that they need to be close to outright prohibited but that lots of extra work, filings, meetings, and all around time to get things done would raise the non-hardware costs of installs significantly. etc. I'm not claiming this actually is the case, only offering a potential explanation for what might lead to such a wide discrepancy between the two cities.

19. HillCountryFun

Agreed, very sad for Lubbock -

20. HillCountryFun

Maybe, sounds like something that needs to get fixed!