Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lubricating Charge Port\Handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that inserting the HPWC handle into the charge port is not as smooth as it was when the car was new a couple months ago. Any recommendations to give it that like new smooth feeling? I thought a little spray silicone on the handle or some dry lube might work but thought I would ask here first.

I was getting erratic notices over the last week that I needed to reinsert the HPWC charge handle because the connection wasn’t correct. Sometimes it would go away without me doing anything and sometimes I had to reinsert the charge handle to get it to charge. I checked both the charge handle and car port and verified that all the prongs were in place and not bent. My wall charger is 5 1/2 years old so I figured the problem was probably with the HPWC. I took some dry cuetips and rotated them around the connections which produced a blackening of the cuetips. It took 7 cuetips to get the black residue cleaned and I ensured there was no cotton remnants in the connectors. The errors stopped so the cause of the error was probably the black detritus (carbon?) that I removed. I was reluctant to use any silicone and the error has not returned to date.

Upvote 0