Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid air and media touting 400miles from 130Kwh...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
I hope the Lucid Air does make it into production, because having options is not a bad thing and because I like their low key approach unlike others who shall not be named. One thing that bothers me is that every time a Lucid shows up in the press they always highlight the 400+ miles with the 130Kwh battery like it will be ground breaking. The air if it makes it into production will be available in 2018 the earliest, by then it is quite possible Tesla will have a 120Kwh battery which guess what will also reach 400 miles. This is based purely on the 100Kwh achieving 335miles EPA. So as far as I am concerned Lucids battery tech is already inferior.

TeslaFi day summary:
19 Drives
Total Miles Driven 349.6
Rated Miles Used 572.76
Efficiency 61.04 %
Time Driven 7 Hours 42 Minutes
kWh Used 142.42 kWh
Wh/Mile 407 Wh
Total Cost $ 18.51
Average Temp 53.89 F

That was me in my Tesla S60D during a recent trip to Yosemite. I used 3 SuperCharges, 1 Chademo, and 1 destination charger for all that. It amazes me that I could have left home and only had to stop once to charge in that entire trip, basically skipping everything but the destination charger, or any of my stopovers I would have wanted to do anyway, and spent no more than 5 minutes extra time on charging (finding the charger and plugging in). At the end of the quoted trip, there were hotels with destination chargers that I used the week before that I could have used this trip with a theoretical 130kWh battery in the Lucid Air if I had skipped all the SuperChargers. Overnight, and I would have had enough to go all the way home AND some. Now, that's a nice battery size! Of course, it takes a few overnights to fully charge, but with that kind of range and flexibility, who cares!

But, the air resistance efficiency and other options on the Lucid Air may make it a power hog. It might not enjoy quite the benefit of range that I'm reading into its battery size. The Tesla Model X hogs way more power than the Model S.

What that tells me is that the newer fast charge stations coming out in the future will need to support the Lucid Air if Lucid Air is to be a fundamentally simple car to drive long distance. But, I think that's going to happen.

It should work out pretty nicely. The experience of the Lucid Air will be stopping over at one of the many Fast DC charger stations on longer trips, but I mean LONGER, which will be relatively rare, and mostly they'll be showing up at various sleepover (home, hotel, etc.) Destination & Home Chargers and not worrying much about it. Those who tool around between home and work can just order their company to install a sensible charger (80 amp or whatever, since this car will mostly be in the financial range of the owners of said companies).

Last edited: