Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air autonomous driving features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I am really curious about the FSD features of the Lucid Air. It seems to have huge potential for really good FSD.

The car has the following FSD hardware:
- 2 Mobileye EyeQ4 chips
- 2 long range radars that cover front and rear of the car.
- 4 short range radars that cover the four corners of the car.
- 3 front cameras
- 5 active surround view cameras that cover sides and rear.
- 2 long range lidar that cover front and rear of the car.
- 3 short range lidar that cover sides of the car.
- 1 driver facing camera to monitor driver attention

The website says this:

"In the future, Lucid's assistive technology will help you and your family get things done. Over-the-air software upgrades will allow the Lucid Air to transition through progressive levels of autonomy. In the future, your car will be able to retrieve your groceries, pick up your kids from practice, or provide you a moment to sit back and relax as you are safely driven home. This time is yours."

The Lucid press release says:

"Lucid will launch its first car, the Lucid Air, with a complete sensor set for autonomous driving from day one, including camera, radar and lidar sensors. Mobileye was chosen to provide the primary compute platform, full 8-camera surround view processing, sensor fusion software, Road Experience Management (REM™) crowd-based localization capability, and reinforcement learning algorithms for Driving Policy. These technologies will enable a full Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) suite at launch, and then enable a logical and safe transition to autonomous driving functionality through over-the-air software updates."

I did find this one video of a test drive 3 years ago that shows the car driving autonomously. You can see in the video that the large center screen shows a view of the front lidar and a blue line similar to NOA that shows the path the car plans to take. The demo is pretty simple. There is no traffic on the road and the car appears to just be using lidar to do lane keeping and making a few 90 degree turns. But the fact that they could do this 3 years ago and at night, is pretty cool. Our Teslas still can't do this since we don't have City NOA yet. Sigh.

I imagine that it will probably get hands-free highway driving similar to GM"s Supercruise. It will probably have auto park too. With that hardware, I imagine the features will be pretty robust too.

I am looking forward to seeing what the car can do. We should get more info later this year as the car enters production.

Nice thread.

I should also add that because of the delay of the Luicid Air which is now due end of 2020. It will most likely have the new EyeQ5 (probably 2 of them, one closed one open) rather than 2x EyeQ4. Because EyeQ5 will be production ready 2nd half of 2020

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
Nice thread.

I should also add that because of the delay of the Luicid Air which is now due end of 2020. It will most likely have the new EyeQ5 (probably 2 of them) rather than 2x EyeQ4. Because EyeQ5 will be production ready 2nd half of 2020

Thanks. I figured this thread would interest you since I remember you saying awhile back that you like the Lucid Air.

From what I have read, Mobileye believes that the EyeQ5 chip will be able to support L5 autonomy. Is that right? So 2 EyeQ5 chips should give the Lucid Air plenty of processing power for whatever autonomous features it gets.

Correction: I mistyped. It should read 2 short range lidar covering both sides, not 3.

Here is the screenshot from the unveil event where I got the info from:

upload_2020-1-2_10-57-56.png

I am really curious about the FSD features of the Lucid Air. It seems to have huge potential for really good FSD.

- 2 Mobileye EyeQ4 chips
- 3 front cameras

The website says this:

"In the future, Lucid's assistive technology will help you and your family get things done. Over-the-air software upgrades will allow the Lucid Air to transition through progressive levels of autonomy. In the future, your car will be able to retrieve your groceries, pick up your kids from practice, or provide you a moment to sit back and relax as you are safely driven home. This time is yours."

"Lucid will launch its first car, the Lucid Air, with a complete sensor set for autonomous driving from day one, including camera, radar and lidar sensors. Mobileye was chosen to provide the primary compute platform, full 8-camera surround view processing, sensor fusion software, Road Experience Management (REM™) crowd-based localization capability, and reinforcement learning algorithms for Driving Policy. These technologies will enable a full Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) suite at launch, and then enable a logical and safe transition to autonomous driving functionality through over-the-air software updates."

I did find this one video of a test drive 3 years ago that shows the car driving autonomously. You can see in the video that the large center screen shows a view of the front lidar and a blue line similar to NOA that shows the path the car plans to take. The demo is pretty simple. There is no traffic on the road and the car appears to just be using lidar to do lane keeping and making a few 90 degree turns. But the fact that they could do this 3 years ago and at night, is pretty cool. Our Teslas still can't do this since we don't have City NOA yet. Sigh.

I imagine that it will probably get hands-free highway driving similar to GM"s Supercruise. It will probably have auto park too. With that hardware, I imagine the features will be pretty robust too.

I am looking forward to seeing what the car can do. We should get more info later this year as the car enters production.

and one of these. lol lol

nuclear-battery-1-638.jpg

Thanks. I figured this thread would interest you since I remember you saying awhile back that you like the Lucid Air.

Yup it will most-likely be my first EV car.

From what I have read, Mobileye believes that the EyeQ5 chip will be able to support L5 autonomy. Is that right? So 2 EyeQ5 chips should give the Lucid Air plenty of processing power for whatever autonomous features it gets.

Yeah but most likely Lucid will go for a closed EyeQ5 that provides 360 surround vision using cameras plus mapping (REM). Then they will likely use another EyeQ5 that is open silicon and programmable similar to Nvidia chips for their Lidars/Radars sensing, sensor fusion and driving policy (planning and control).

GgwFHEc.png

I should note that Mobileye in November went from using 4x EyeQ4 (10 Tops) for theirs SDC fleet to currently using 2x EyeQ5 (48 Tops).

However Jan 2020 they will move to 9x EyeQ5. The reason for that is because they are aiming for complete End to End 'True Redundancy'.

So they have a completely separate camera system that handles perception, mapping and planning. For each of the three category there is an EyeQ5. So that's three EyeQ5 so far.

Now for the Lidars/Radars system they also have a EyeQ5 that handles each task independently, perception, mapping and planning. So that's another three EyeQ5

Then finally they have a Fail operation board that also handles perception, mapping and planning independently. So that's another three EyeQ5.

All together you get 9x EyeQ5. But of-course Lucid can still rely on 2x EyeQ5 just as the current Mobileye fleet currently does because you don't need 'True Redundancy' and complete Fail Operation till you get to actual L4. At that point Lucid can decide to do a hardware upgrade and add a-couple EyeQ5s or offer it in a new car since they didn't outright promise L4/L5. Just that there will be levels of autonomy.

Lucid Motors doesn't actually need 9x EyeQ5. They can still replicate the same thing features with 2x EyeQ5. It just won't have Mobileye's 'end to end true redundancy'.

IkNMB5Z.png

Last edited:
@Bladerskb -- you really think you'll be getting a Lucid? They just leveled some ground in Arizona. What do you think will happen in the next 12 months because that's laughable. I'd expect FSD in my Tesla (HW2!) before the Lucid Air is available for delivery to people who have no current reservation.

Reactions: preilly44
@Bladerskb -- you really think you'll be getting a Lucid? They just leveled some ground in Arizona. What do you think will happen in the next 12 months because that's laughable. I'd expect FSD in my Tesla (HW2!) before the Lucid Air is available for delivery to people who have no current reservation.

Well I hope deliveries start Jan 2021 because i rather get the 60k - 80k version after the initial ramp. But I know i should probably add 6 months to that timeline. But I definitely need them to ramp up.

Yup it will most-likely be my first EV car.

Yeah but most likely Lucid will go for a closed EyeQ5 that provides 360 surround vision using cameras plus mapping (REM). Then they will likely use another EyeQ5 that is open silicon and programmable similar to Nvidia chips for their Lidars/Radars sensing, sensor fusion and driving policy (planning and control).

GgwFHEc.png

I should note that Mobileye in November went from using 4x EyeQ4 (10 Tops) for theirs SDC fleet to currently using 2x EyeQ5 (48 Tops).

However Jan 2020 they will move to 9x EyeQ5. The reason for that is because they are aiming for complete End to End 'True Redundancy'.

So they have a completely separate camera system that handles perception, mapping and planning. For each of the three category there is an EyeQ5. So that's three EyeQ5 so far.

Now for the Lidars/Radars system they also have a EyeQ5 that handles each task independently, perception, mapping and planning. So that's another three EyeQ5

Then finally they have a Fail operation board that also handles perception, mapping and planning independently. So that's another three EyeQ5.

All together you get 9x EyeQ5. But of-course Lucid can still rely on 2x EyeQ5 just as the current Mobileye fleet currently does because you don't need 'True Redundancy' and complete Fail Operation till you get to actual L4. At that point Lucid can decide to do a hardware upgrade and add a-couple EyeQ5s or offer it in a new car since they didn't outright promise L4/L5. Just that there will be levels of autonomy.

Lucid Motors doesn't actually need 9x EyeQ5. They can still replicate the same thing features with 2x EyeQ5. It just won't have Mobileye's 'end to end true redundancy'.

IkNMB5Z.png

Thank you very much for all that good information!

- 2 Mobileye EyeQ4 chips
- 3 front cameras

The website says this:

What was the price? Couldn’t find it or production rollout information on their web site.

What was the price? Couldn’t find it or production rollout information on their web site.

Here is what I could find. Looks like the base model will start at $60k. It will RWD and have 240 miles range and 400 horse power. The options look similar to what Tesla offers. There will be options for 315 miles and 400 miles range, AWD, 2 motor "performance" with 1000 horse power, premium sound etc... The high end will be around $100k.
Lucid Air starts at $60,000, Launch Edition at over $100,000

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Here is what I could find. Looks like the base model will start at $60k. It will RWD and have 240 miles range and 400 horse power. The options look similar to what Tesla offers. There will be options for 315 miles and 400 miles range, AWD, 2 motor "performance" with 1000 horse power, premium sound etc... The high end will be around $100k.
Thanks. I sent them a message and will report back the answers to my questions that I may receive.

Reactions: diplomat33
I guess everyone's first EV will be a luxury car that few can afford. I'm wondering which company will be the first to produce a Camry equivalent if not a Corolla equivalent. By that I mean a reasonable range car, say 250 miles, for $25,000. Maybe even a 200 mile car for $20,000. I think the vast majority of people who buy a Corolla really aren't so interested in driving longer trips in them. Not saying that doesn't happen, I just think long range is not absolutely required for a successful EV. But a real people's EV will need a much lower price than anyone is able to come out with now.

I guess everyone's first EV will be a luxury car that few can afford. I'm wondering which company will be the first to produce a Camry equivalent if not a Corolla equivalent. By that I mean a reasonable range car, say 250 miles, for $25,000. Maybe even a 200 mile car for $20,000. I think the vast majority of people who buy a Corolla really aren't so interested in driving longer trips in them. Not saying that doesn't happen, I just think long range is not absolutely required for a successful EV. But a real people's EV will need a much lower price than anyone is able to come out with now.

VW does this. Right now with the ID3.

If this is the pricing then it is disappointed. I assumed the $60K price point was for the top model. I will be sticking to Tesla then.