Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air base price $52500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From that article :

"The Lucid Air will be one of the first production vehicles to use broadband active-noise-cancellation technology to reduce interior noise created by tire/road interactions but more on that a little later."

I guess this is similar to what some Bose headphones do, that are highly recommended for air travel.

I was wondering if anyone here has reserved one for $2,500, given the CTO for this car, Peter Rawlinson, was the lead engineer for the Model S. Just curious. It's quite an elegant vehicle if you get to see it in person. It was in Washington, DC yesterday.

It will use the CCS standard for DC fast charging. Also, the base model will not have leather (and of course many other luxury options). I believe someone said it will have an option to dim the windows like a 787 can. The trunk was very small, but it did have a frunk, and the back seat was incredibly spacious.

Lucid Motors is currently raising a financing round in order to start building its $700 million EV factory

Rawlinson told the Motley Fool that the first phase of the plant would cost around $240 million:

“Instead, the manufacturing facility will have three phases, the first of which is expected to cost $240 million. That should allow the company to ramp up to producing about 8,000 to 10,000 vehicles per year, with production commencing in 2019. Only after all three stages are completed (expected around 2022 if all goes well) will the total investment reach $700 million.”

Lucid Motors, with new EV in the works, is missing just one thing -- cash

“We don’t have the money in place. That’s why we need to secure Series D in order to execute this,” Rawlinson, who led engineering of Tesla’s Model S sedan, said Thursday at the New York auto show.

Once funding is in place, it will take 24 months before Lucid begins production, Rawlinson said.

Lucid has said it plans to build 10,000 vehicles in its first 12 months of production and ramp up to 130,000 annually by 2022. The Air model will come equipped with the hardware required for fully autonomous driving, though the software won’t be ready until 2021 or 2022, Rawlinson said.

Lucid officially is delaying their launch to 2019 due to funding issues:
http://jalopnik.com/lucid-motors-just-fell-another-step-behind-tesla-1794325727
“It would be irresponsible to start moving earth or start anything until we have a financial runway to execute that professionally and with absolute integrity.”
Unlike some other company that just moved some dirt around in North Las Vegas and then went on to claim during their CES presentation that they had already completed Phase 1 of their factory.

Screenshot_2017-08-25-00-53-19.png

Not sure if a pic was posted of the Lucid air trunk.

Opening looks similar to model 3 (different class/price range of vehicle). But the 3's trunk is deeper even before including the "secret" bottom compartment.

From that article :

"The Lucid Air will be one of the first production vehicles to use broadband active-noise-cancellation technology to reduce interior noise created by tire/road interactions but more on that a little later."

I guess this is similar to what some Bose headphones do, that are highly recommended for air travel.

Noise-cancellation is far, far easier to do with isolating headphones or tightly-sealing earbuds, where the device is in complete control of what you are hearing. It is far more difficult, if not impossible to do it from a remote speaker and open air ears.

I'll believe this when I hear it!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I saw one of these in person. There is zero chance the rear trunk is as large as the S or 3. The rear seats in the Air intrude quite a bit into what would be trunk space.
The rear seats you saw are the reclining Executive seats that eat into trunk space. There is a base bench seat version with deep trunk. I can assure you that it is bigger and deeper than Model 3. The Air is not as practical as the Model S hatch big opening.