Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air base price $52500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 243906

Not sure if a pic was posted of the Lucid air trunk.

Opening looks similar to model 3 (different class/price range of vehicle). But the 3's trunk is deeper even before including the "secret" bottom compartment.

Anyone notice how wide the trunk opening is? See the rear tail lights going up with the trunk, widening the opening.
I wonder how their frunk looks like? Did anyone see the frunk?

The Lucid Air's trunk looks smaller than the VW Beetle convertible's trunk !!!

screenshot_2017-08-25-00-53-19-png.243906

volkswagen-beetle-cabriolet-boot-space.jpg

volkswagen-beetle-cabriolet-rear-quarter-blue.jpg

Noise-cancellation is far, far easier to do with isolating headphones or tightly-sealing earbuds, where the device is in complete control of what you are hearing. It is far more difficult, if not impossible to do it from a remote speaker and open air ears.

I'll believe this when I hear it!
Active noise cancellation has been used on a number of aircraft. It can work well in closed spaces such as aircraft cabins or cars. Because road/tire noises are in pretty specific frequencies it is perfectly feasible to do so. The problems are cost and weight, with weight less of a problem if one is willing to pay the price for it.

I flew a Beechcraft King Air that had a demonstration installation. It worked amazingly well. It can do the same for a car. I'll bet it won't come cheaply.

• Informative
Reactions: mal_tsla
Active noise cancellation has been used on a number of aircraft. It can work well in closed spaces such as aircraft cabins or cars. Because road/tire noises are in pretty specific frequencies it is perfectly feasible to do so. The problems are cost and weight, with weight less of a problem if one is willing to pay the price for it.

I flew a Beechcraft King Air that had a demonstration installation. It worked amazingly well. It can do the same for a car. I'll bet it won't come cheaply.

Hope you’re right! I’ve been in a few cars that have it and can’t tell it does anything.

Hope you’re right! I’ve been in a few cars that have it and can’t tell it does anything.
Implementation is the big difference. The larger the space the harder the job; the broader/less standard the noise frequencies are the harder the job. Based only on personal history with noise cancellation, primarily with aircraft, I'm certain that autos will be harder to do simply because of the diversity of sounds that encroach. perhaps that is why heavy shrouds mask the noise in most higher end cars today and why cheap cars tend to be noisier.

I would like to hear from an acoustic engineer on this issue. Lots of cars have been optimized for sound systems. of the few I've seen that purport to have active noise cancellation they seem to be using the in-car sound system to generate the opposing signals. That seems to me to be a losing proposition. But, I'm not an acoustical engineer so I really have no legitimate basis for such an opinion.

Lucid Air looks like a good EV effort and seems like it would be a decent vehicle if they live up to their promises of comfort, quietness, luxury, interior amenities/quality etc and are able to actually get to production in 2019. Esp. with a $60k base price (options would obv. add to that).
IMG_0747.JPG

Though I'm not sold on the Panamera-esque (previous gen) rear:
IMG_0746.JPG

Also not sure about the "Air" as a name for a vehicle. Maybe it's all these Apple products with "Air" in the name. Perhaps Apple should buy Lucid and incorporate it into Project Titan!
IMG_0748.JPG

Is this the company that had the plexiglass batmobile at the car show? Or was that Faraday? I feel like I was perhaps a little hard on that particular company at the time. Best of luck, Lucid. I hope you make it past PowerPoint. I know I probably don't sound sincere, but really, I mean it. Good luck. Would like to see another player in the game.

From that article :

"The Lucid Air will be one of the first production vehicles to use broadband active-noise-cancellation technology to reduce interior noise created by tire/road interactions but more on that a little later."

I guess this is similar to what some Bose headphones do, that are highly recommended for air travel.
The Tesla will be one of the first production vehicles to use autopilot systems that can drive people point to point and be used for car sharing services but more on that a little later.

;-)

Is this the company that had the plexiglass batmobile at the car show? Or was that Faraday? I feel like I was perhaps a little hard on that particular company at the time. Best of luck, Lucid. I hope you make it past PowerPoint. I know I probably don't sound sincere, but really, I mean it. Good luck. Would like to see another player in the game.
No, that was definitely Faraday Future. Lucid (formerly know as Atieva) is much more promising. Faraday Future has always been substantially more sketchy and all talk and bluster with nothing to show for it other than hideous prototype or two and pushed some dirt around out in the Nevada.

I was slightly intrigued about Faraday, but when I say their first presentation at CES with that absolutely ridiculous absurd "car" it was all over for me.

Exclusive: Saudi PIF in talks to invest in aspiring Tesla rival Lucid - sources

"PIF and Lucid Motors have drawn up a term sheet under which PIF could invest more than $1 billion in Lucid Motors and obtain majority ownership, the sources said. PIF's first investment in Lucid Motors, however, would be for $500 million, and subsequent cash injections would come in two stages that are contingent on Lucid Motors hitting certain production milestones, one of the sources added."

Peter Rawlinson said Lucid needs $700M for complete build out of Arizona factory or $200M to get production started at ~10k units per year.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Implementation is the big difference. The larger the space the harder the job; the broader/less standard the noise frequencies are the harder the job. Based only on personal history with noise cancellation, primarily with aircraft, I'm certain that autos will be harder to do simply because of the diversity of sounds that encroach. perhaps that is why heavy shrouds mask the noise in most higher end cars today and why cheap cars tend to be noisier.

I would like to hear from an acoustic engineer on this issue. Lots of cars have been optimized for sound systems. of the few I've seen that purport to have active noise cancellation they seem to be using the in-car sound system to generate the opposing signals. That seems to me to be a losing proposition. But, I'm not an acoustical engineer so I really have no legitimate basis for such an opinion.

The Jaguar i-Pace has active anti-noise (which is optional, like it's audible speed-feedback noise).
The official UK government noise figures suggest it's about 50% quieter than a Model S - I'm assuming that that is with the active anti-noise on. ( where 10db is a perceived doubling of noise).

The earliest mentions of active anti-noise in cars that I remember was with Lotus in the early 1990s - iirc a lot of the work involved hunting for noises which increased in predictable ways with road speed and throttle position, as that allowed you to predict the frequencies that you would have to cancel.

Current on-ear anti-noise headphones work best with relatively constant and consistent pink noise for the same reason - you eliminate the laggy feedback cycle, so you can generate the anti-noise at the moment it is needed, rather than just-too-late.

https://azbigmedia.com/land-advisors-sells-80-acres-for-800m-lucid-motors-plant/

Land Advisors Organization’s broker Kirk McCarville represented the Buyer, Pinal County, in the transaction of 80 acres from Vernon Lester Barnes on December 21, 2018.

The 80 acres are being used by Lucid Motors to develop an $800 million plant, with engineers planning to break ground in March or April of this year. In the next 4-5 years, Lucid Motors is expected to employee 2,000 people in the Pinal area, to help with production of the Lucid Air Car.

Reactions: sammyfan711