Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Air Dream Deliveries to Begin Next Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The first Lucid Air cars will be delivered late next month, the company said Tuesday.

Production of the all-electric luxury sedan started this week at the company’s factories in Casa Grande, Arizona. The company was originally founded in 2007.

Lucid expects reservation holders of Lucid Air Dream Edition models will begin receiving their vehicles in late October, with customer deliveries ramping up thereafter. Grand Touring, Touring, and Air Pure model deliveries are expected to follow. Lucid has thus far received more than 13,000 reservations for Lucid Air and increased the planned total production quantity of the Dream Edition to 520 vehicles, the company said in a release.

The flagship Dream edition is priced at $169,000. The Lucid Air base model is priced at $77,400.

The EPA recently rated the Lucid Air Dream Edition Range at 520 miles of range, the longest range for any electric car rated by the EPA. The top range for the Tesla Model S is about 100 miles less.

“I’m delighted that production cars endowed with this level of efficiency are currently driving off our factory line,” Chief Executive Peter Rawlinson said in a release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Tesla's gone through a lot of growing pains that other companies seemingly think they can skip. Even the legacy auto OEMs, who sometimes have 100+ years of auto manufacturing experience, are having growing pains for some reason.

But this assumes Lucid will provide good service as well... do they have service centers? Having driven a Tesla for almost a year, I can't imagine buying an EV that doesn't have a charging network. I realize that third-party chargers exist, but I'm not even aware of where they are in my area.

Sure seems like Lucid is at least 10 years behind Tesla.

I'm sure Lucid would love to have these low volumes (and margins).

Honestly, with volumes that low, it really won’t be “game on” until Lucid starts competing in the 3/Y segment. I do believe that Lucid will successfully compete against the S/X though if for no other reason than they have a commitment to deliver a true luxury experience. Service has been a weak point for Tesla in recent years. If Lucid can deliver on a luxury customer experience, they’ll convert more than a few S/X customers.

Why do you think this?
Lucid has had past troubles raising capital.
Rivian has big money behind it And they are getting closer .
Not sure if Lucid can make it past the first few years of growing pains And the new competition from OEM, Tesla, Rivian etc.
We’ll see. Their range sounds awesome.
Sounds like they have built a better car ( and batteries) than any of the Big OEM. It would be smart for one of them to buy them out and make them a division

Lucid has had past troubles raising capital.
Rivian has big money behind it And they are getting closer .
Not sure if Lucid can make it past the first few years of growing pains And the new competition from OEM, Tesla, Rivian etc.
We’ll see. Their range sounds awesome.
Sounds like they have built a better car ( and batteries) than any of the Big OEM. It would be smart for one of them to buy them out and make them a division
Yes, I think Tesla should buy Lucid soon. Then Tesla can make a new Model S based on merged Tesla and Lucid tech.

Yes, I think Tesla should buy Lucid soon. Then Tesla can make a new Model S based on merged Tesla and Lucid tech.
Tesla buy ?? Complete waste of money. NO deliveries yet. Battery claims not yet proven by customers/buyers.
- Factory is useless to Tesla - perhaps some salvage value for some equipment (LUCID may not even own equipment.
- Legacy OEMs would probably pay LUCID more for any equipment - maybe even the factory?? Not good location.
- Don't see any battery tech.
- Don't see any autonomous tech.
- What Tech. ?? stitching patterns? leather?

Tesla doesn't need it. Even if the Tech is great. They are the leader in the EV market. so while buying Lucid it wouldn't add to the bottom line for them as it would for one of the large OEMs that are behind in the technology.
Generally speaking a large company buys a new company because they need what they have to move more quickly into or up in a market.
To leverage their technology. For example why Google bought Nest

Marketing video posted today about the Lucid's Dream Drive ADAS:

I think it looks promising. The sensor suite looks very robust and future proof. The features on delivery are essentially basic AP with Auto Park. I do like the directional warning for cross traffic. That is a nice use of the surround sound capabilities.

They are promising more advanced features coming later, including "eye's off/hand's off" highway driving. And the vehicles are capable of OTA updates like Tesla so they will get new features wirelessly.

We will see if Lucid can pull it off. I hope they are successful because it is a great car. So I hope they are able to add a great ADAS as well.

Reactions: AquaY and jebinc
Marketing video posted today about the Lucid's Dream Drive ADAS:

I've found a test highway for Lucid's DD.
so-5cc00e3366a4bd71505ac1f3-ph0.jpg

Just an observation but It seems like LUCID CEO never speaks about their cars in public without mentioning Tesla. Interesting marketing strategy I'll be watching. I hope he's not setting himself up as a punching bag should the buyer start pointing out the car's shortcomings (if any) compared to Tesla. He's the only one doing this now but let's see what his customers say.

Just an observation but It seems like LUCID CEO never speaks about their cars in public without mentioning Tesla. Interesting marketing strategy I'll be watching. I hope he's not setting himself up as a punching bag should the buyer start pointing out the car's shortcomings (if any) compared to Tesla. He's the only one doing this now but let's see what his customers say.

Kinda silly to pretend the 800 lbs Gorilla in the room doesn't exist.

Peter can speak for an hour in public. Discuss everything under the sun and moon and how Air compares to S Class, EQS, and Model S.

Press will highlight what he said with respect to Model S and Tesla.

Reactions: thesmokingman
My wife & I went to the Lucid design center in Beverly Hills today. What a beautiful vehicle. Makes me wish the Model X I have on order didn't have the yoke nonsense with out stalks. The Lucid dash board and cabin is so nice. I don't like Tesla minimalist approach on the S and X. I plan to keep my X (when I finally get it) for a couple years then try another brand...Rivian or what's out by then. We'll see. Exciting times.

Quick reading in Lucid forums tell me that; Air has massive software problem that render cars near unusable. And only 60-150 has been delivered, production is halted temporary for other fit and finish problems, main one being glass roof bonding. Time will tell are those just teething problems...

Quick reading in Lucid forums tell me that; Air has massive software problem that render cars near unusable. And only 60-150 has been delivered, production is halted temporary for other fit and finish problems, main one being glass roof bonding. Time will tell are those just teething problems...
Can you link to a few informative stories there?
What do you mean by "Lucid Forums?"?

Can you link to a few informative stories there?
What do you mean by "Lucid Forums?"?