Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
This thread was an entertaining read. So much sour grapes and gymnastics trying to marginalize Lucid's accomplishment. Tons of other EV makers are currently trying to compete against Tesla and no one else has even come close to matching Tesla on efficiency, including Merc. It feels absurd to hate on Lucid for surpassing Tesla in the efficiency game. They should be commended for achieving this even if their car isn't for you.

You don't like the aesthetics, cool, don't need to buy one. You don't like the price point, cool, get something else. You don't like more range and shorter and fewer charging stops...okayyy, sure, you do you (though this one is really inexplicable). But let's not pretend that this isn't an excellent engineering effort from them AND this is good news for all EV owners, including the Tesla diehards here. If nothing else, it is going to push Tesla to up their range on newer releases, even if it requires them to increase their battery pack sizes while reducing margins slightly while they try to sort out their 4680 issues. All EV consumers are going to be winners if Lucid drives manufacturers to focus more on increasing their range.
Well said - Tesla tends to attract not just fans but diehard fanboys. It’s kind of like Apple that way (Thou shalt not speak ill of our prophets, Steve and Tim!) Unfortunately, that also tends to drive away a lot of people. Both Apple and Tesla have made significant achievements but that doesn’t mean other companies are incapable of building good products as well. As you said, the more solid choices we have, the better off we all are as consumers.

I’m not sure why the hate. I think people get caught in believing in something to the point of viewing it as supreme and infallible. When something else comes along that belief gets threatened and there’s a psychological need to denigrate the other product to preserve your belief. This seems to be the case in other areas of society these days, too. People can’t support anything (or anyone) and at the same time admit there are flaws.

Dolemite

is my name
Sep 19, 2019
Seattle, WA
Well said - Tesla tends to attract not just fans but diehard fanboys. It’s kind of like Apple that way (Thou shalt not speak ill of our prophets, Steve and Tim!) Unfortunately, that also tends to drive away a lot of people. Both Apple and Tesla have made significant achievements but that doesn’t mean other companies are incapable of building good products as well. As you said, the more solid choices we have, the better off we all are as consumers.

I’m not sure why the hate. I think people get caught in believing in something to the point of viewing it as supreme and infallible. When something else comes along that belief gets threatened and there’s a psychological need to denigrate the other product to preserve your belief. This seems to be the case in other areas of society these days, too. People can’t support anything (or anyone) and at the same time admit there are flaws.
Makes you wonder about the whole “false idols” thing…

jboy210

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I just saw a Lucid Air going down the road Friday night. I was driving on 84 in front of Facebook heading East.

Nice looking car. It had some display screens in the window visors. It was White and I assume was the top-end model. It had manufacturer plates. It turned off 84 after we cross the Dumbarton bridge.

Last edited:

abasile

TSLA shareholder
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Bernardino Mountains, California
Tesla is selling every car they can manufacture, with no "sales" or discounts, so it is great to have new companies like Lucid enter the EV space. For the good of our air quality, health, energy security, and climate, we need to replace as many ICEs as possible. Plus, competition is healthy for Tesla.

As for the range, we live high on a mountain (4900' elevation gain from the nearest freeway) and the ~240 mile range of our 2012 Model S 85 still works well for all of our day to day driving, even when we have to make unexpected trips down and up the mountain. But 500+ miles of range would certainly be nice for road trips, as we enjoy visiting destinations off the beaten path (and often with little or no electrical infrastructure). Looking forward to the tri-motor Cybertruck.

qdeathstar

Completely Serious
May 17, 2019
VB
Not really. It’s the only performance so if someone wants anything more than the standard car they have to get the plaid. There’s no lesser performance model to choose from.
The only difference between the plaid and standard car is the performance

Mr X

Future Martian
Jan 18, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
Didn't say it was stupid and didn't mean to imply that either. I just see it very much as a niche car.

I can totally see it working for some buyers (particularly if the incentives kick in). But it's not likely someone eyeballing the Model S is going to choose the Mini either.

No the Mini-E is literally stupid and a waste of money

They had a better car 10 years ago when they ended their EV program (boggles my mind still) and this is what they came out with after all this time?

Garbage

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC